Mac Mini - HDD from early 2009 to late 2009

6 posts in this topic

Here is what I have done in the past; 2012 MacBookPro: I replaced the original drive with an SSD booted off the old drive (Startup select) but used command+R to get in restore mode. Installed a fresh copy on the SSD. Not sure which boot up later but ended up selecting the SSD then used Migration Assistant to import the the data without the old OS. If you have software that has activation I would de-activate prior to doing this and then re-activate to save headache on phone support.

Just my 2¢

Lou Cioccio

PS This is what I will be doing for a friends 2011 MacBookPro updating RAM and installing a SSD drive. This should give new life!

Plain old HDD's... No TM-backups, I'm going to move them physically over :D SSD is next on the list. I just wonder if I should rebuild kext caches etc while doing that.

Nope, you don't have to do anything just swap the the disks and turn it on. Although repairing the disk permissions or running any other commands like rebuilding the kernel cache might be helpful but they are not necessary.

• Like 1