Looking for a processor.

3 posts in this topic

Evening Gents.

I'm looking to replace the processor in my laptop with something SSE3-capable. It currently has a Mobile AMD Athlon 64 3000+ "Clawhammer" at 2ghz, socket 754. I'd just go for a socket 754 Turion, but I'm afraid my BIOS wouldn't support it. If anyone can confirm a Turion works in an Acer Ferrari 3400, that would rock too.

But I'm looking for a Newark core Mobile AMD Athlon 64, anywhere from 3000+ to 3400. I'd rather not go higher than the 3400+ as my laptop runs hot enough as it is. The going price should be around $140, but I can't find any from a reliable source.

Anyone know where I could pick one of these up?

Thanks.

I don't know anything about that laptop or socket really, sorry, but I do know a lot of laptops have their chips soldiered into place is it even possible to swap out your CPU?

Not trying to say I know it isn't, just kind of curious as well.

I don't know anything about that laptop or socket really, sorry, but I do know a lot of laptops have their chips soldiered into place is it even possible to swap out your CPU?

Not trying to say I know it isn't, just kind of curious as well.

Yeah, a lot of laptops use socketed processors these days, especially AMD-based laptops. Mine uses a socket 754, as I said, though I'm sure it differs from the desktop socket 754, at least in terms of BIOS compatibility.

If I remember correctly, Intel iMacs and Mac Minis use socketed laptop processors as well, for better heat and power management.