High Sierra Beta 3 fully working for RX580 and Vega

jnolla

42 posts in this topic

Seems like High Sierra Beta 3 is fully working for RX580 and Vega, without any patches and no IGPU!

I have both, and will be posting screenshots shortly!

OK so during installation you can definitely tell the RX580 is fully supported. After installation is completed it goes black. This is no patches or helper gpu.

• Like 2

post-1753549-0-68402000-1499751380_thumb.png

Seems like High Sierra Beta 3 is fully working for RX580 and Vega, without any patches and no IGPU!

OK so during installation you can definitely tell the RX580 is fully supported. After installation is completed it goes black. This is no patches or helper gpu.

The Second developer beta brought us Working HDMI Audio on RX cards.

• Like 1

RX 480 by XFX here, only black screen after install... sigh! Waiting for more and more :)

Since the RX 4xx-5xx series are used by apple for iMac and MacBooks they utilize Intel IGPU or CPU graphics so we probably won't get rid of the helper card or IGPU requirement.    The Vega cards will be going into the X299 Intel so IGPU may not be an issue in the drivers for mackintosh.       

• Like 1

Since the RX 4xx-5xx series are used by apple for iMac and MacBooks they utilize Intel IGPU or CPU graphics so we probably won't get rid of the helper card or IGPU requirement.    The Vega cards will be going into the X299 Intel so IGPU may not be an issue in the drivers for mackintosh.       

Funny thing is that I used only the RX580 to do the install, and it worked. No IGPU or patches needed. I deleted all AMD related files from boot drive, and added only the KEXT found on the installer base image, and it works, but no metal acceleration. Main difference is the buffer files are not there on the installer base image. I'm wondering if it is simply using the wrong FB name.

• Like 2

Very interesting... need to investigate this!!!

But they work flawlessly in a real MacPro, without any kind of helper card or iGpu

• Like 1

Ok, so I can confirm all ports are working on Vega OOB with full metal support on my ASUS Maximus IX Z270 with 7700k. No patches and iGPU!

I'm not sure what is going on with the X99 and the ports not working :(

• Like 1

Man that's old news, even in Sierra you can install using the RX480/580 without helper card or iGPU....

But of course the screen goes black first time you load MacOS... 

Please edit the title, since the RX580 isn't "fully working".

I'm really annoyed about these wrong statements guys ...

• Like 3

Man that's old news, even in Sierra you can install using the RX480/580 without helper card or iGPU....

But of course the screen goes black first time you load MacOS... 

Please edit the title, since the RX580 isn't "fully working".

I'm really annoyed about these wrong statements guys ...

Just ignore silly threads, you'll be fine.

jnolla, what you think about work on GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLi?

I've confirm on z270, and there is another user confirming z170. I don't see a reason why not, but can't be 100% certain.

• Like 1

I just can't ignore wrong informations.

There are many users that are buying RX480 and RX580 because they read your posts, thinking that the card is actually FULLY WORKING on high Sierra.... which of course is not...

• Like 1

I just can't ignore wrong informations.

There are many users that are buying RX480 and RX580 because they read your posts, thinking that the card is actually FULLY WORKING on high Sierra....

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I guess you have to read through the threads. Take a chill pill and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

I guess you have to read through the threads. Take a chill pill and you'll be fine.

Ok nevermind, you can continue writing wrong informations, i don't care, the RX4xx and RX5xx series still doesn't work without iGPU or helper card. 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I agree with @Ciro82

The installation of macOS and macOS High Sierra doesn't require any helper card for the AMD cards that have the black screen issue, the problem starts when you boot the installed version of the OS. The installer doesn't require acceleration or any framebuffer not for AMD nor for Intel that's why you can load the installer without an issue.

• Like 1

I've confirm on z270, and there is another user confirming z170. I don't see a reason why not, but can't be 100% certain.

Tks my friend, im will buy soon, but im will need import this Vega !!! Tks a lot !!! 

Hi guys,

I agree with @Ciro82

The installation of macOS and macOS High Sierra doesn't require any helper card for the AMD cards that have the black screen issue, the problem starts when you boot the installed version of the OS. The installer doesn't require acceleration or any framebuffer not for AMD nor for Intel that's why you can load the installer without an issue.

It was a false positive guys, no evil mastermind plan behind it. VEGA is fully supported, so I'm glad I can share the experience.

• Like 1

It was a false positive guys, no evil mastermind plan behind it. VEGA is fully supported, so glad I can share the experience.

That's great that Vega works and you shared that info thanks for that.

But correcting the title won't do you any harm and will reduce further confusions IMHO. There are lots of people whom might make a decision based on the info we produce here so its better that we be accurate, as much as possible. ;)

It's just a friendly suggestion :)

That's great that Vega works and you shared that info thanks for that.

But correcting the title won't do you any harm and will reduce further confusions IMHO. There are lots of people whom might make a decision based on the info we produce here so its better that we be accurate, as much as possible. ;)

It's just a friendly suggestion :)

Hope no one in these forums makes a purchase decision because of a title. They should be punished :yes: . I can't tell you the many times something works for someone, and it doesn't for others.

To my first post:

"Seems like High Sierra Beta 3 is fully working for RX580 and Vega"

I continue:

• Like 1

Hope no one in these forums makes a purchase decision because of a title. They should be punished :yes: . I can't tell you the many times something works for someone, and it doesn't for others.

To my first post:

"Seems like High Sierra Beta 3 is fully working for RX580 and Vega"

Look at the date on my thread "AMD Polaris IDs on Sierra / High Sierra", it's "only" 1 year old....

No one is hijacking your thread man, relax. I'm just sharing my experience. This is an open forum for people to share, isn't it? You guys really, the only one should be worried is Apple, and you don't see them trolling these threads...

I'm not trolling, and i repeat: you should edit the title of your thread, since the RX580 isn't fully supported by any MacOS version

• Like 1