Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

jnolla

721 posts in this topic

I have a problem with completing Lexmark v3.1 benchmark and Metal geekbench, its crashing always I tried them on DP5-DP8. I also noticed that my card recognised as eGPU card I don't know why? is that a problem? 

post-715465-0-24822800-1504233847_thumb.png

I was having trouble with my Vega FE crashing on certain software, including my main CAD one. All the wee blue activity lights would light up, computer freeze, 30 sec later crash to the login screen. It seems to be fixed by lilu and whatevergreen, then a boot arg that chokes it to 24 bit colour. No crashes for 2 days now.

You need the latest versions to run on HS.

System correctly identifies my card now too :)

• Like 1

I was having trouble with my Vega FE crashing on certain software, including my main CAD one. All the wee blue activity lights would light up, computer freeze, 30 sec later crash to the login screen. It seems to be fixed by lilu and whatevergreen, then a boot arg that chokes it to 24 bit colour. No crashes for 2 days now.

You need the latest versions to run on HS.

System correctly identifies my card now too :)

Is it possible to share with me your latest working clover folder? I need to take a look  B)

Update: I did as you suggested I forced my card to 24 bit and I used the latest lilu and whatevergreen kext. Now I can finish Lexmark v3.1 but its finished with a very boor score I do not why and I still have my card recognised as eGPU?

post-715465-0-92717300-1504279248_thumb.png

post-715465-0-59260200-1504279225_thumb.png

Is it possible to share with me your latest working clover folder? I need to take a look  B)

Update: I did as you suggested I forced my card to 24 bit and I used the latest lilu and whatevergreen kext. Now I can finish Lexmark v3.1 but its finished with a very boor score I do not why and I still have my card recognised as eGPU?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-09-01 at 17.24.31.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-09-01 at 17.25.24.png

Here you go :)

CLOVER.zip

It's got a couple of extras. I was fluffing around trying to get my 390x going as a 2nd GPU. You don't need inject ATI or the DVI boot arg.

I also tried flashing the Vega FE aio rom. Gives me an extra 7 or 8% but isn't great on windows.

• Like 1

Dual Vega Frontier Edition with i7-7700K

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-08-25 at 1.54.39 PM.png

Not yet, Sierra 12.6 is the limit for Ryzen for now.    

I picked up another RX Vega 64 8gb.  Dual RX Vega 64s on my Pentium G3258, 2 cores for 2 GPUs.

It works for haswell processors, I doubt it will for Skylake and newer as the RX 4xx series cannot on Skylake or KabyLake.

Hey Gigamaxx!

I've noticed that for me, Geekbench 4 Compute OpenCL is actually slower for two Vegas than with one Vega.

Do you have the same result?

Thank you sir!

Dual Vega Frontier Edition with i7-7700K

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-08-25 at 1.54.39 PM.png

I've forgotten who pointed this out! (sorry)

We can possibly overclock / undervolt the vega with a few simple changes to the AMD10000Controller.kext. It's way beyond my abilities though.

post-1564334-0-02175200-1504490554_thumb.png

Wattman is the Vega overclocking software in Windows.

• Like 1

Hey Gigamaxx!

I've noticed that for me, Geekbench 4 Compute OpenCL is actually slower for two Vegas than with one Vega.

Do you have the same result?

Thank you sir!

Yes, on most desktop Mobos when using 2 cards you drop from 16 PCIE lanes for the single card to 8 lanes for each card.   Since Geekbench or other open GL apps only read one card its only 8 lanes do performance drops a bit.   The same happens in Uningine and Cinebench for me.

Some Xeon chip mobos have more pie lanes for 16 on each card.

• Like 1

On my system the Heaven Benchmark, does not run correctly (lines or artefacts) or hangs.

Has anybody the same experience or is it running ok ?

I'm using a 4k monitor.

Tried different resolutions.

Tested SMBIOS 18,3 and 17,1.

The picture in Heaven is ok if I switch anti-aliasing off.

Other OpenGL software also shows errors, OpenCL seems to be working ok.

Basically I would like to find out, whether the Vega works for you in Heaven so I know it's my card/configuration or immature drivers.

• Like 1

On my system the Heaven Benchmark, does not run correctly (lines or artefacts) or hangs.

I'm using a 4k monitor.

Basically I would like to find out, whether the Vega works for you in Heaven so I know it's my card/configuration or immature drivers.

I think everyone has had to turn off anti-aliasing. You are not alone :P

And some software, like Chrome, needs the hardware acceleration turned off.

For me anyway.

• Like 2

I'm using a 4k monitor.

Hello, Now I'm sure, I have the same problem and system freezes like others with Vega cards

in 80-89 percent all works great with all benchmarks LuxMark Geekbench etc

but without Heaven Benchmark, Google Chrome, Opera, and even last time I had freeze with simple picture edit with building photo editor :)

So... we have all wait ... for new drivers... :P

• 2 weeks later...

With the latest high sierra, the 2nd update after the release, my vega is freezing when I open Spotify.

So now, when I restart, spotify starts (as things do after a crash) and it freezes straight away, again.

I type this in windows and wondering how I can boot up in some sort of safe mode...

edit. booting my backup install and deleting the spotify app in my main boot drive works :)

Spotify in chrome is ok, just not the spotify app.

Getting the following error when I enable 2 Vega cards, and then black screen.

kernel[0]: X86PlatformPlugin:: cgRegisterCallbackHandler - gpu internal PLimit notification already registeredAnyone having similar issues?

I got the same problem!

What did you already try to fix it?

which psu do you use?

Hi guys,

I have a question. Is Vega really working OOB or we still need the WhateverGreen and Lilu to make it work? And does it work with macOS Sierra or it needs High Sierra?

Thanks

Hi devs

It genuinely works in high sierra OOB. I run lilu and whatevergreen just to give me AMD Radeon Vega in "about this Mac", but the kexts have no purpose beyond that cosmetic reason.

I don't think anyone's managed to get the Vega going on Sierra but I haven't tried. It's possible lilu and whatevergreen can handle it. I'll have a go one day for you.

Some people have had trouble with port mapping on the non reference models.

• Like 1

Hi devs

It genuinely works in high sierra OOB. I run lilu and whatevergreen just to give me AMD Radeon Vega in "about this Mac", but the kexts have no purpose beyond that cosmetic reason.

I don't think anyone's managed to get the Vega going on Sierra but I haven't tried. It's possible lilu and whatevergreen can handle it. I'll have a go one day for you.

Some people have had trouble with port mapping on the non reference models.

Thank you for the answer. I just checked the device ID of the VEGA 64 GPU (0x687F1002) and it's only available in AMD10000Controller.kext and since That kext is only available in macOS High Sierra then I got my answer about macOS Sierra being Supported to not which is:

No, there is no support for macOS Sierra (I just checked that to save you from going to test it on macOS Sierra on my behalf :) ) I was just curious about that.

Thanks again  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just upgraded to 10.13.2 beta 1

The chrome hardware rendering bug appears to be gone.  Tested with the 3d view on google maps, it normally crashed and now it's great.  OpenGL extension viewer app still fails on 4.2-3. Some games that used to crash where any 3d rendering was on screen before now play great at 4k.  Re-installing X-Com 2 to test as that was a major one giving me problems.  

The kext in s/l/e is version 1.60.20 19101

• Like 2

Just upgraded to 10.13.2 beta 1

The chrome hardware rendering bug appears to be gone.  Tested with the 3d view on google maps, it normally crashed and now it's great.  OpenGL extension viewer app still fails on 4.2-3. Some games that used to crash where any 3d rendering was on screen before now play great at 4k.  Re-installing X-Com 2 to test as that was a major one giving me problems.  

The kext in s/l/e is version 1.60.20 19101

Can you test Uningine Valley to see if it works in ExtremeHD without disabling anti-aliasing/multi-screen.    

Thank you for the answer. I just checked the device ID of the VEGA 64 GPU (0x687F1002) and it's only available in AMD10000Controller.kext and since That kext is only available in macOS High Sierra then I got my answer about macOS Sierra being Supported to not which is:

No, there is no support for macOS Sierra (I just checked that to save you from going to test it on macOS Sierra on my behalf :) ) I was just curious about that.

Thanks again   :)

I tested and tried in Sierra, only 7mb would catch.    Its weird because in December we saw Vega10 show up in the drivers and controllers and its still there but not enough for real support.    I tried putting the HS drivers in Sierra as well but that didn't work either.

• Like 1