Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

jnolla

721 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get this card to work. Currently I'm getting the errors below when I add the card id to AMD10000Controller Kext.

post-43841-0-23542900-1499729882_thumb.jpg

EDITED by moderator

There are solutions in this thread

Edited by Slice
make links to useful posts

Some progress. Seems like High Sierra Beta 3 has support for the RX580 and Vega cards. They both work without issues during installation without any patches or igpu. Once the installer completes, it does go into a black screen. I'm unsure what the delta is between the installer base system and the complete install. Trying to figure it out.

If I remove all AMD KEXT, and copy and replace all KEXT from base system to boot drive. This is what I get on the RX580. Again, this is no patch, and no helper card.

post-43841-0-36779200-1499787570_thumb.png

I will try testing those, as they don't match the Frontier Edition.

• Like 2

On the VEGA front. I have Full acceleration support, but only one port is working. In latest built, the correct device ID have been added. As you can see there are no iGPU. I'll have to figure out port mappings.

post-43841-0-34117900-1499798072_thumb.png

• Like 3

Hi jnolla, im I am very interested in this GPU. In the forum of AMD one of the moderators informed that there will be difference in the VBIOS of native boards of the iMac, what do you think of this? Is it possible to make it work? I look forward to your tests !!!

• Like 2

Hi jnolla, im I am very interested in this GPU. In the forum of AMD one of the moderators informed that there will be difference in the VBIOS of native boards of the iMac, what do you think of this? Is it possible to make it work? I look forward to your tests !!!

Typically each vendor has their own VBIOS for their cards, I would imagine Apple might do the same.

As an update, I have both Vega and RX580 installed. When I enable the RX580 on the secondary pcie 16x slot, both the VEGA and the RX580 loose signal. I'm not running envy modifications on KEXT or clover on either. Would like to have both enabled. I still can only get video out of one port on the VEGA.

• Like 1

Typically each vendor has their own VBIOS for their cards, I would imagine Apple might do the same.

As an update, I have both Vega and RX580 installed. When I enable the RX580 on the secondary pcie 16x slot, both the VEGA and the RX580 loose signal. I'm not running envy modifications on KEXT or clover on either. Would like to have both enabled. I still can only get video out of one port on the VEGA.

Thank you for your answer jnolla, im want to know if im buy this new GPU Vega its possible modified some ID device on clover or something to make full acceleration on Hack (im not sure, but you already have full?)

Tks my friend!!! Good choice yours!!! Did you try modified some kexts or use only Vega for test? 

Im understood you coment above that you have full acceleration, but only one port (one monitor signal?) work, its that mean correct? 

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer jnolla, im want to know if im buy this new GPU Vega its possible modified some ID device on clover or something to make full acceleration on Hack (im not sure, but you already have full?)

Tks my friend!!! Good choice yours!!! Did you try modified some kexts or use only Vega for test? 

Im understood you coment above that you have full acceleration, but only one port (one monitor signal?) work, its that mean correct? 

I did not modify any KEXT. I have full acceleration out of the box, but only one port.

post-43841-0-71488400-1499809971_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thank you again jnolla, because one port is enough to me!!! 

I will need import from USA or Europe  :D  :thumbsup_anim:

Would you post benchmark tests please!!

By the way, what you think about eGPU external from Hack with Thunderbolth connexion? Its just an idea!! 

Thanks too you Gigamaxx!!! 

• Like 1

Thank you again jnolla, because one port is enough to me!!! 

I will need import from USA or Europe  :D  :thumbsup_anim:

Would you post benchmark tests please!!

By the way, what you think about eGPU external from Hack with Thunderbolth connexion? Its just an idea!! 

Thanks too you Gigamaxx!!! 

Thank You @max.1974 I used your EFi folder to get my i5 6500 booted in High Sierra Dev beta.  I've modified it a little but it worked first try, thanks again I followed this topic but there is no page 1 location for the latest fixes and links to the fixes.    Great job, and to all the others that tested, and helped and posted tidbits.

I have native HDMI Audio on RX 460 and 480 cards in Beta 2.1 DEV.    Its really cool, to finally have real sound, although its just 2 channel it works with any fixes.    

post-1753549-0-86842200-1499813678_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thank You @max.1974 I used your EFi folder to get my i5 6500 booted in High Sierra Dev beta.  I've modified it a little but it worked first try, thanks again I followed this topic but there is no page 1 location for the latest fixes and links to the fixes.    Great job, and to all the others that tested, and helped and posted tidbits.

I have native HDMI Audio on RX 460 and 480 cards in Beta 2.1 DEV.    Its really cool, to finally have real sound, although its just 2 channel it works with any fixes.    

Oh my friend, you are a great advanced user of this community, and I am grateful for your immense help. I'm happy and so glad for helping friends, let's enjoy this site, which is unique in the World !!! Thanks buddy!!

You are the One !!

:yes:  :D  :drool:  :thumbsup_anim:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Some OpenGL and Metal benchmarks.

Values are nearly identical to the R9Nano - which would be ok if the clock would be the same - which isn't.

Under Windows the Luxmark values are about 1.5 as high.

OpenGL benchmarks crash/hang under HS.

post-1634720-0-84409900-1500028205_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Values are nearly identical to the R9Nano - which would be ok if the clock would be the same - which isn't.

attachicon.gifVega.jpg

Are you able to get all your ports to work?

• Like 1

attachicon.gifVega.jpg

Uowwwww!!! Its a great news!!! Tks man!!! 

I only tested one DP and HDMI and they both worked - each on it’s own and in dual monitor mode as well.

I‘m on the road, so I can‘t test the others right now.

Please let me know if you are using any patches in clover or elsewhere. I'm only seeing the image below, in all other ports on mine.

post-43841-0-18347800-1500049689_thumb.jpg

Here are some numbers from my build running the WIN10 drive.

post-43841-0-87687300-1500049892_thumb.png

post-43841-0-83394600-1500049935_thumb.gif

post-43841-0-54740900-1500049953_thumb.png

post-43841-0-40220800-1500049982_thumb.gif

post-43841-0-20687300-1500050026_thumb.png

post-43841-0-91524200-1500050043_thumb.gif

No kexts for Graphics.

Config.plist included. The least intrusive config.plist I ever used.

But I use a 7700K with a Z170 chipset and you use a X99 chipset, so all bets are off.

attachicon.gifconfig.plist.zip

Thank you. Going to test on my 7700k rig, and see what results I get. Will do testing will RX580 as well.

Ok, so I can confirm all ports are working on Vega OOB with full metal support on my ASUS Maximus IX Z270 with 7700k. No patches and iGPU!

I'm not sure what is going on with the X99 and the ports not working :(

• Like 3

Just want to share I was able to get VEGA working 100% on X99 as well. I grabbed the EFI folder from another user, and it worked without any issues on all ports. Must have been something in my configuration! All ports working. No IGPU needed. Full acceleration.

• Like 4

Posting here, since the trolls got the other thread closed  :lol:

Here are the results with LG Ultrafine 5k Display, AMD Radeon VEGA Frontier Edition and GC-Alpine Ridge. Definitely well worth it!

post-43841-0-98301400-1500297972_thumb.png

post-43841-0-00134900-1500298018_thumb.png

post-43841-0-28160700-1500298068_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Things just keep getting better   :w00t: 

I have installed 2 x GC-Alpine Ridge. They are both connected to a single AMD VEGA. One of them has 2 DP inputs and the other only 1. I have 2 LG Ultrafine 5k displays running. One is at full 5k, and the other is scaled. Both are running off a single thunderbolt cable. Given that my MB only has one TB header, only one has audio, video, and controls. I'll be picking up a second AMD VEGA with the hopes of having both displays running at 5k.

post-43841-0-17211700-1500298460_thumb.png
  • Like 3

Uoowwwww  :yes:  :D  :drool:

Nice man, when im buy my Vega, im will buy one monitor 5k too!!! 

Im wait little issue resolves in my finances, but its a little time, my RX 580 not works well, so congratulation a lot for you my friend, i hope you enjoy this much is i am!!! 

Vega on a Head!!!  :D  :P  :lol:  :lol:

Ok, so I can confirm all ports are working on Vega OOB with full metal support on my ASUS Maximus IX Z270 with 7700k. No patches and iGPU!

I'm not sure what is going on with the X99 and the ports not working :(

Wow amazing! No igpu would be very cool.

Keep us posted on the X99.

• Like 1