USB3 ASMedia 1042 not working on Sierra 10.12.5

14 posts in this topic

Trying to become more active with my brains after a crash...

Installed Sierra on my PC to recover some data for my son's Macbook pro (the SSD was encrypted to HSF+ from Paragon and Debian Linux could not read them...).

Made an usb installer :

http://www.wikigain.com/create-macos-sierra-bootable-usb-installer-windows-10/

Got a reasonable working Sierra, but..

Had to post install

• network card (RealtekRTL8111.kext)
  • sound (VoodooHDA)
  • USB3.... NOK so far

Used legacy option (not the other UEFI/EFI option) to install the bootloader for the Sierra hard disk.

Even got my TP-LINK wifi working with Realtek_RTL8192CU9_v1028 driver.

So that works all great, leaving USB3 problem only.

The ASMedia 1042 controller seems not the easiest on to install.

Tried to use some suggestions on the web, but so far no success. Need to learn more and my concentration is yet not good enough.

Maybe with some help of this forum will help.

Attached my system report and down a partial screen dump of the USB.

Thanks for your input.

My hardware:

Asus mobo P8H67-M pro https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H67M_PRO/

USB ASMedia 1042 chipset

CPU i5 3.31 GHz 

sierras-iMac:~ sierra$ sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Processor Name:	Intel Core i5
  Processor Speed:	3,31 GHz
  Number of Processors:	1
  Total Number of Cores:	4
  L2 Cache (per Core):	256 KB
  L3 Cache:	6 MB
  Memory:	8 GB
  Bus Speed:	400 MHz

anYAaGW.png

iMac-system-report.zip

Thanks for the fast reply, will try your suggestion asap. 

PS: is there a reason for not showing up in System Profiler for anything after Yosemite?

Apple revised the USB stack in 10.11+. Drivers that used the older stack still work for compatibility reasons, but won't show up in System Information/USB.

Well... some light in the dark......  :blush:

+-o USB Super-Speed Bus@0  <class IOUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x100000317, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 14>
    | {
    |   "sessionID" = 3923630669
    |   "AAPL,standard-port-current-in-sleep" = 500
    |   "idProduct" = 1
    |   "bNumConfigurations" = 1
    |   "iManufacturer" = 2
    |   "bcdDevice" = 512
    |   "Bus Power Available" = 250
    |   "bMaxPacketSize0" = 64
    |   "USB Product Name" = "USB Super-Speed Bus"
    |   "iProduct" = 1
    |   "iSerialNumber" = 0
    |   "USB Address" = 1
    |   "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"
    |   "bDeviceSubClass" = 0
    |   "bDeviceClass" = 9
    |   "bcdUSB" = 512
    |   "locationID" = 469762048
    |   "AAPL,current-extra" = 2700
    |   "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}
    |   "AAPL,current-available" = 2100
    |   "bDeviceProtocol" = 1
    |   "AAPL,max-port-current-in-sleep" = 2100
    |   "AAPL,device-internal" = 0
    |   "Ports" = 4
    |   "USB Vendor Name" = "CalDigit Inc."
    |   "Device Speed" = 2
    |   "idVendor" = 8584
    |   "Requested Power" = 0
    |   "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
    |   "Low Power Displayed" = No
    | }
    | 
    +-o USB Flash Drive@1c100000  <class IOUSBDevice, id 0x10000031b, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (228 ms), retain 12>
        {
          "sessionID" = 9231742815
          "idProduct" = 43064
          "bNumConfigurations" = 1
          "iManufacturer" = 1
          "bcdDevice" = 4352
          "Bus Power Available" = 250
          "bMaxPacketSize0" = 9
          "USB Product Name" = "USB Flash Drive"
          "iProduct" = 2
          "iSerialNumber" = 3
          "bDeviceClass" = 0
          "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"
          "bDeviceSubClass" = 0
          "USB Address" = 2
          "bcdUSB" = 512
          "locationID" = 470810624
          "PortNum" = 1
          "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}
          "kHasMSCInterface" = Yes
          "bDeviceProtocol" = 0
          "USB Vendor Name" = "Lexar"
          "Device Speed" = 2
          "idVendor" = 1500
          "USB Serial Number" = "AA8JDABH41TCZ1M8"
          "Requested Power" = 63
          "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
          "Low Power Displayed" = No
        }

It does indeed NOT show up in the system profile (as was written by you) , only tracable by command line

$ ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 -l

It seems a USB3 type of port (2 ports on the back). The others ports were pure USB2.

But have to repeat it with a clean install....

Why?

Well the port seemed not to show up anyhow as usb2 before the mod and since then I did too many things, lack of knowledge... .. :blush:  that I'm not sure about all the steps I did to get the result in a reproducible way. Need to be more precise... so reinstall (and then make a good image... ).

The system has also become crash-sensitive (interference with the author.... :thumbsup_anim: ).... I'm not sure whether it is the new driver as the CPU-T also played a role, cleaning the fan made 15-20ºC difference... :blush: .

Will report the result when my brains are fresh enough again to do the reinstall...

Made a clean install (~15 min) and post-installed the drivers as above.

After a cold boot installed that USB3 driver and it works with a similar output  in the terminal using  

$ ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 -l 

But the Sierra environment becomes very unstable, can hardly work with it, so it was not the CPU-T and the one of the extra checks was really needed.

As such the USB3 driver works, so that check is also ok, but as said unstable.

How to prove  additionally without a reboot that's really the USB driver that hurts?

Killed the process by unloading the  mXHCD.kext and removed the driver completely 

The system was stable again.

bash-3.2# sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/mXHCD.kext
bash-3.2# sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/mXHCD.kext

So the checks on the causes were really needed after the less precise work. The break gave me time to think...and the answers..  :)

Rily: any suggestions on to get rid of the instability?

PS: added the usb output before the install. The usb3 output was as before.

As I did not realized with my somewhat old brains... that the USB3 driver may not show up in the system listing, I must admit that I did not check for earlier drivers whether they were present as checked with ioreg command in terminal mode.... So I will update when I have energy to repeat is.

Update-1

Took CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext unpacking this driver. Works and is a little bit more stable than the Oyen driver, but still crashing within 5 minutes i/o 2 minutes...

Source: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/26-asmedia-usb3/

usb-fresh.txt

IDK would this also work on ur mach, but should to be fine. I'd used it since 10.10.x till 10.13 Beta and have no issue (1B21:1040), except USB2.0 speed only and not shown as USB Device (but appears on Storage SysInfo), it' s fair if using non-Intel USB3.0 afaik.. the point is it's functional.

Plz make sure U are using Vanilla IOUSB* kexts and have no problem with USB Ports (since 10.11.x above eg. use @Rehabman's USBInjectAll.kext or patch DSDT for USB etc)  :)

AsM-104x-Mac-Kexts

#Edit: Remove all other USB XHCI Enabler kexts if any b4 using this, place to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/OS_Version. Thx.

post-826765-0-49843200-1499655168_thumb.png

post-826765-0-72704200-1499655185_thumb.png

• Like 1

Tnx. Tried  USBInjectAll.kext but unfortunately did not work. It also does not show up under "storage".

Your Asus A43SJ  has a H65 chipset, needs likely this driver, but seems nok for me. 

Update:

Tried AppleUSBXHCI.kext: get 2 extra ports in the  ioreg listing, but the ports (=USB3 ports on the back) do not work after plugging in USB 2 or 3 stick. 

Retried CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext again from the ASMedia USB3.0 driver: works but still crashing in < 5 minutes.

Reproduced (to be sure under these circumstances).

Suggestions still welcome.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any help regarding stability. I still use the Oyen kext on my Z68 running Yosemite and haven't ran into any issues there. I read here that the kext works for Sierra but I haven't used it past Yosemite. On my X79 I disabled the ASMedia controllers and put in a FL1100-based pci-e card.

OK. Thanks anyhow :)

Just got the system stable by using a tool that seems "not to be supported" here.... ;)

The "problem" is that one does not know exactly what was changed by that tool.... :blush:

I'm also trying to get a High Sierra Beta stable, it is not stable, but is it the same issue? The tool seems not to work for that version of OS.

Got it working on a normal HFS+ partition as could not get the APFS partition bootable. 

For APFS: Got a warning related to disabling system integrity, but (in safe mode!) could not get the partition set to bootable (bless command) even when system integrity was disabled.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=csrrutil&oq=csrrutil&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4079j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=csrutil 

For HSF+ it worked.... (disabling system integrity in safe mode and bless the partition) 

I did this work under Sierra, using diskutil running in terminal to make the APFS partition as the standard DiskUtility does not support APFS.

So summarized what is left: 

• Setup again a clean Sierra and try to find out manually the mods needed for stability (I do have a spare disk....)
  • Same for High Sierra Beta (PS: the cause of the stability may be different... it is a beta version)
  • Better undesrtanding of crash reports...helping the 2 previous points

And... keep myself from crashing again.... 

Used resources:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325013-guide-dual-boot-high-sierra-with-sierrael-capyosemite-easiest-method/Take care. No warning here on disabling the system integrity!  Else I could not set the partition bootable.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/06/12/make-boot-macos-high-sierra-beta-install-drive-usb/ Later on I was able to make this usb stick also working, but then still you have to set the partition bootable, at least that's my experience.... 

Take care of the installation command.. it is easy to make a mistake (typo ..)

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/HighSierra --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction &&say Boot drive created

• 2 weeks later...

Made a complete fresh install using some "Tony" website tools (which are "not supported" here..). Stable system and also recognizing the USB3. Apparently the fixes that were made lead to this stable result.

My mind is yet not recovered enough to understand how it is done. It would be nice to do it yourself by tweaking the kext(s) and other mods.

Solved: yes. :)

Really understood: no... :blush:

• 2 months later...

IDK would this also work on ur mach, but should to be fine. I'd used it since 10.10.x till 10.13 Beta and have no issue (1B21:1040), except USB2.0 speed only and not shown as USB Device (but appears on Storage SysInfo), it' s fair if using non-Intel USB3.0 afaik.. the point is it's functional.

Plz make sure U are using Vanilla IOUSB* kexts and have no problem with USB Ports (since 10.11.x above eg. use @Rehabman's USBInjectAll.kext or patch DSDT for USB etc)  :)

AsM-104x-Mac-Kexts

#Edit: Remove all other USB XHCI Enabler kexts if any b4 using this, place to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/OS_Version. Thx.

I noticed that you have successfully driven the K43SJ GT520M in High Sierra. Can you provide EFI folder for my research? 

• 1 month later...

Made a complete fresh install using some "Tony" website tools (which are "not supported" here..). Stable system and also recognizing the USB3. Apparently the fixes that were made lead to this stable result.

My mind is yet not recovered enough to understand how it is done. It would be nice to do it yourself by tweaking the kext(s) and other mods.

Solved: yes. :)

Really understood: no... :blush:

Mate, why don't you shared your EFI so others can solve the same issue? Thanks in advance.