R9 390 on dual-boot Sierra/Windows10. Trying to avoid swapping cables.

Skyy_0

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So here are my specs:

Mobo: ASUS B150M-A

CPU: i5-6500 Skylake

GPU: ASUS STRIX R9 390

Monitor: Acer X34 Predator (3440x1440)

OS: Dual boot Sierra and Windows 10 with Clover as bootloader

I successfully got macOS Sierra running on my machine, but the resolution is wonky. Sierra won't properly recognize the R9 390. So, that being said, I want to accomplish either of two things:

Either 1) Successfully use the R9 390 on Windows 10 and on Sierra with proper resolutions (Windows 10 works fine, just thought I'd mention that I do have it installed on a separate SSD in my machine) 

or

2) Use the R9 390 for Windows 10 and my iGPU (integrated graphics) for Sierra. My main use-case is developing using Xcode, so no intense gaming or graphics-heavy stuff going on. The thing is that I want to avoid having to swap monitor cables all the time. 

Current state: My machine starts up fine when I set the Boot GPU to the R9 390, but the resolution is incorrect. When I set the boot GPU to the integrated graphics, it doesn't start up at all, just goes to a blank screen.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi there and welcome :)

R9 390 is not supported out of the box by macOS and you can't use it without the help of a so called "helper card" to boot into macOS Sierra without booting to black screen.

You need to use the iGPU set as primary in BIOS and to avoid the black screen using iGPU you need to use Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext. Copy them to /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 or /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other 

You also need to inject Intel and set the ig-platform-id to 0x19120000 under the Graphics section in your config.plist.

There is an issue called "boot to black screen" using so many AMD cards. There are some cards that don't boot into a black screen like: The 5770, 5870, 6850, 7850,7870,7950,7970, R9 260X, R9 270X and R9 280X will work OOB without a helper card.

For getting your R9 390 to work you look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/315027-amd-r9-390-framebuffer-issue-on-1012-sierra/?hl=%2Br9+%2B390&do=findComment&comment=2443865

• Like 1

Hi there and welcome :)

R9 390 is not supported out of the box by macOS and you can't use it without the help of a so called "helper card" to boot into macOS Sierra without booting to black screen.

You need to use the iGPU set as primary in BIOS and to avoid the black screen using iGPU you need to use Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext. Copy them to /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 or /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other 

You also need to inject Intel and set the ig-platform-id to 0x19120000 under the Graphics section in your config.plist.

There is an issue called "boot to black screen" using so many AMD cards. There are some cards that don't boot into a black screen like: The 5770, 5870, 6850, 7850,7870,7950,7970, R9 260X, R9 270X and R9 280X will work OOB without a helper card.

For getting your R9 390 to work you look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/315027-amd-r9-390-framebuffer-issue-on-1012-sierra/?hl=%2Br9+%2B390&do=findComment&comment=2443865

Thanks for the reply and the welcome:).

I clicked the link, then clicked the link in that post, and noticed its for a 390X, which I've heard is easier to work with on Sierra. Will the same process work for me?

• Like 1

The first post and the best answer is about the R9 390 non X version.

By the way all you need to do is to use a FakeID for a working version, say R9 390X which is 0x67B0.

Set FixDisplay=true under ACPI patches and add the FakeID under the graphics section.

Or you can manually edit the kexts and the Device ID to them an as explained in this post.

Let me know if you need more information on the topic :)

• Like 1

The first post and the best answer is about the R9 390 non X version.

By the way all you need to do is to use a FakeID for a working version, say R9 390X which is 0x67B0.

Set FixDisplay=true under ACPI patches and add the FakeID under the graphics section.

Or you can manually edit the kexts and the Device ID to them an as explained in this post.

Let me know if you need more information on the topic :)

Thanks for all of your help so far :).

So, I still can't get it to do anything other than use my Integrated Graphics. 

What I've tried: 

1. The modification of kexts/files using the steps in the link you posted (Using Hex Fiend and terminal)

Result: Boots the same as before (has strange resolution) and in "About This Mac" it says that I'm using the Intel HD 530 with ~1500mb video memory.

2. The steps you said above.

Result: Still booting with strange resolution and About This Mac saying the same thing.

3. Changing my boot settings to "Boot with Dedicated graphics" 

Result: Clover launches and has a weird resolution, but then I get a black screen when I select "Boot macOS".

From what I understand I should at least have the following:

- Boot from iGPU/CPU Graphics in BIOS

- FixDisplay=true under ACPI patches

- FakeID 0x67B01002 under Devices>ATI

- FrameBufferID as "Baladi" and InjectATI checked in Graphics section. 

Let me know what you think - again, thanks for the help!

Cheers

• Like 1

Well all the things you did is correct so far except fore one thing.

Your display must be connected to AMD GPU instead of onboard graphics. You'll loose Post boot screen until macOS loads completely and then you'll see the desktop.

if your monitor is connected to the onboard GPU it will be detected by macOS and then in About This Mac it will be shown as primary display.

If you want to use IGPU instead of AMD GPU you need to inject Intel and choose the correct ig-platform-id for your iGPU or IGFX.

• Like 1

Ah! I see - This entire time its been connected to AMD GPU via DisplayPort and to CPU via HDMI.

I will try this and let you know how it goes. Should it be connected to AMD GPU via Displayport or HDMI? 

It doesn't matter which port you use, you can use either of them.

• Like 1

Very grateful:). I seem to be having some related trouble, however: If I ever want to boot to Windows, I must go to BIOS to change Boot drive to Windows and to change Boot GPU back to Dedicated Graphics.

This is fine, but I need to use HDMI to do it. Meaning to switch from macOS to Windows, I have to:

1. Shut down.

2. Plug HDMI into CPU and monitor.

3. Boot to BIOS

4. Change settings

5. Boot to Windows.

Any ideas on how to remove step 2? It is the only thing preventing a perfectly seamless setup:).

Thank you!

• Like 1

Very grateful:). I seem to be having some related trouble, however: If I ever want to boot to Windows, I must go to BIOS to change Boot drive to Windows and to change Boot GPU back to Dedicated Graphics.

This is fine, but I need to use HDMI to do it. Meaning to switch from macOS to Windows, I have to:

1. Shut down.

2. Plug HDMI into CPU and monitor.

3. Boot to BIOS

4. Change settings

5. Boot to Windows.

Any ideas on how to remove step 2? It is the only thing preventing a perfectly seamless setup:).

Thank you!

Well if your BIOS has a GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) you can choose that to you advantage. I haven't tested it on a single display but in dual or triple display setups you can tell the PC to which port to use as the default output for display wether you use the iGPU or the discreet graphics.

You can test it and see if that option will solve the problem, otherwise I'm afraid that you need to do what you described every time you want to switch between macOS and Windows.

• Like 1

Darn, I wish it were simpler. All I have under BIOS settings are:

- Primary Display GPU

> Auto

> CPU Graphics

> PCIE

- iGPU Multi-Monitor

> Enabled

> Disable

- RC6(Render Standby)

> Enabled

> Disable

- DVMT Pre-Allocated (Fixed) Graphics Memory 

> 32M

> 64M

> 96M

> ...(Many other values)...

> 1024M

If you see anything in those that might work, definitely let me know - otherwise, thank you again for the help! Now to fix the "No output devices" for my audio...

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is nothing that we can do to avoid booting to black screen with your GPU. Since macOS Sierra the boot to black screen happens and no one has found a way to fix it yet :)

El Capitan didn't have the black screen problem.

For the HDMI/DP audio you need a properly patched DSDT/SSDT or you can run Toleda's cloverHDMIAudioCommand and the command will create the SSDT for you.

Mount the EFI partition on the bootable macOS disk, open terminal and run the command.

Toleda's HDMI Audio Command

• Like 1

That is strange that you can't boot into windows without changing bios settings, I've been using amd RX 4xx cards which require the same fixes for some time and all I do is select Windows from clover boot options and it loads no problem. It is not peak performance because it's using igpu or integrated graphics but it is at least on par with Mac OSX performance levels.

I use a vga connection for my motherboard or CPU graphics and hdmi or DisplayPort for RX cards and use the same monitor. After boot I just switch input selector on the monitor.

That is strange that you can't boot into windows without changing bios settings, I've been using amd RX 4xx cards which require the same fixes for some time and all I do is select Windows from clover boot options and it loads no problem. It is not peak performance because it's using igpu or integrated graphics but it is at least on par with Mac OSX performance levels.

I use a vga connection for my motherboard or CPU graphics and hdmi or DisplayPort for RX cards and use the same monitor. After boot I just switch input selector on the monitor.

The same thing happened to me when I was using macOS/windows, I think windows 10 is a bit choosy when it comes to changing the BIOS from PCIe slot1 to IGFX and vise versa.

Although I didn't care about windows that much since I rarely use it and I didn't even bother to troubleshoot the problem. I just removed windows from my pc all together. But it is strange indeed.

• Like 1

Yeah its quite cumbersome. I think Clover plays a part in it too, because I had Windows 10 installed on this machine prior to Sierra and for that reason, I can't use Clover to boot to Windows 10. Any drive that has Windows on it shows up as "Boot Windows from (blank)" on the Clover bootloader screen, and when I click on it, I get a black screen with a flashing console cursor. 

So, to boot to Windows, I have to go to BIOS, change primary boot drive from UEFI (Clover) to my Windows 10 drive, and then reset. I also have to change the primary GPU at the same time, and set iGPU Startup Memory Allocation to 64M.

I've made the macOS countdown 0 on Clover, so it basically skips the bootloader screen entirely and just boots straight to macOS, but still, would've been nice to have a proper bootloader. Oh well, not complaining!

• Like 1

Clover can manage to boot into windows with no problem but you have to add the windows's EFI to the EFI partition or create a custom entry for windows in the config.plist.

Or

If you install macOS first and windows afterwards, windows installer will add a folder called "Microsoft" in the EFI partition witch has the "Boot" and "Recovery" information of the windows boot loader.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is nothing that we can do to avoid booting to black screen with your GPU. Since macOS Sierra the boot to black screen happens and no one has found a way to fix it yet :)

El Capitan didn't have the black screen problem.

For the HDMI/DP audio you need a properly patched DSDT/SSDT or you can run Toleda's cloverHDMIAudioCommand and the command will create the SSDT for you.

Mount the EFI partition on the bootable macOS disk, open terminal and run the command.

Toleda's HDMI Audio Command

Unfortunately this didn't work.

I have a 100 series Motherboard (ASUS B150M-A) with Realtek ALC887 codec. I've heard there are issues with the 100 series. 

CPU is Skylake, and my monitor is connected to AMD GPU via Displayport (Want to use built-in monitor speakers for sound).

Sound section of settings says "No output devices".

System report gives Intel High Definition Audio under Audio devices.

Let me know if you figure something out! Thank you in advanced :).

• Like 1

Sure thing,

But I have no problem with audio over HDMI on my two computers, It even works perfectly fine my SkyLake pc, look here under the Audio section you might find what you are looking for. If it didn't work let me know to see if there is another way to fix it.

• Like 1