MacOS High Sierra graphics problems

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have some graphics issues. Well, lets go from the start.
My first try was to boot from USB, reformat HDD to APFS and install HS. After i did that, installation started but on the next boot Clover didn't recognise the APSF partition so no way to continue. My newbie guess was that Clover needs to be updated for APFS so i gave up. I was using the latest version of Clover Bootloader (v.4091) with -v npci=0x3000 USBBusFix=Yes PCIRootUID=0 flags.

My 2nd try was to install it on JHFS+ partition. I booted from USB, installation started and after few reboots I was looking at MacOS High Sierra wallpaper. At first i added "nv_disable=1" to disable graphics drivers. After i setup everything, i decided to try to remove "nv_disable=1" and reboot. It booted just fine, no KP's at all but monitor went crazy. Flickering all the time, no wallpaper, just black background. Everything was there tho, the Dock, the Menu bar and HDD's. And resolution was fine, just flickering like crazy. 
I don't use Nvidia Web Drivers because not needed for my GTX 550 TI. I've never had any problems with graphics drivers until Sierra. Since sierra came out i've had to use the NVDAStartup.kext from my working el Capitan build. I wouldn't be able to boot to Sierra until i replace that kext. I would use Kext Utility to install it and fix permissions. I would do that after every Sierra update. The problem with High sierra is that method doesn't work anymore. The difference is that i am able to boot to HS without any modification but i get flickering screen. If I use Kext utility to install "NVDAStartup.kext" from working Sierra build, or just to repair permissions, im not able to boot anymore. I figured that Kext Utility is no good at all for HS.

So, my question is anybody can help me with that kext (If thats the problem)? I have no idea how to fix it. Is it possible to patch it or something? I can upload both kext, the working one Sierra and the one from HS.

Thank you

Kexts.zip

First the bootarg could be the same as for Sierra so if that works change is big it would boot High Sierra too, but install Clover 4097 (there are some video bugs in 4091

Do you use injection?

Maybe you need web driver in 10.13 I don't know but it could that they skipped drivers for the GTX 5xx series.

Which SMBIOS are you using? You know you have to patch kext  in Sierra when using MacPro6,1 smbios?! Easiest way is booting nv_disable=1 and then use AGDPfix app to patch it and then reboot. Maybe it is the same for High SIerra but I am not sure...

• Like 1

First the bootarg could be the same as for Sierra so if that works change is big it would boot High Sierra too, but install Clover 4097 (there are some video bugs in 4091

Do you use injection?

Maybe you need web driver in 10.13 I don't know but it could that they skipped drivers for the GTX 5xx series.

Which SMBIOS are you using? You know you have to patch kext  in Sierra when using MacPro6,1 smbios?! Easiest way is booting nv_disable=1 and then use AGDPfix app to patch it and then reboot. Maybe it is the same for High SIerra but I am not sure...

Tnx for reply,

Yes, i use "Inject Nvidia" and i'm using iMac14,1 smbios. I don't need web drivers.

Hi guys,

I have some graphics issues. Well, lets go from the start.

My first try was to boot from USB, reformat HDD to APFS and install HS. After i did that, installation started but on the next boot Clover didn't recognise the APSF partition so no way to continue. My newbie guess was that Clover needs to be updated for APFS so i gave up. I was using the latest version of Clover Bootloader (v.4091) with -v npci=0x3000 USBBusFix=Yes PCIRootUID=0 flags.

My 2nd try was to install it on JHFS+ partition. I booted from USB, installation started and after few reboots I was looking at MacOS High Sierra wallpaper. At first i added "nv_disable=1" to disable graphics drivers. After i setup everything, i decided to try to remove "nv_disable=1" and reboot. It booted just fine, no KP's at all but monitor went crazy. Flickering all the time, no wallpaper, just black background. Everything was there tho, the Dock, the Menu bar and HDD's. And resolution was fine, just flickering like crazy. 

I don't use Nvidia Web Drivers because not needed for my GTX 550 TI. I've never had any problems with graphics drivers until Sierra. Since sierra came out i've had to use the NVDAStartup.kext from my working el Capitan build. I wouldn't be able to boot to Sierra until i replace that kext. I would use Kext Utility to install it and fix permissions. I would do that after every Sierra update. The problem with High sierra is that method doesn't work anymore. The difference is that i am able to boot to HS without any modification but i get flickering screen. If I use Kext utility to install "NVDAStartup.kext" from working Sierra build, or just to repair permissions, im not able to boot anymore. I figured that Kext Utility is no good at all for HS.

So, my question is anybody can help me with that kext (If thats the problem)? I have no idea how to fix it. Is it possible to patch it or something? I can upload both kext, the working one Sierra and the one from HS.

Thank you

attachicon.gifKexts.zip

I don't think any of the kext utility / repair permissions work any more on HS, meaning that the modified kexts fail to load.

I used this one http://www.firewolf.science/tag/how-to-repair-permissions-on-sierra/

• Like 2

I don't think any of the kext utility / repair permissions work any more on HS, meaning that the modified kexts fail to load.

I used this one http://www.firewolf.science/tag/how-to-repair-permissions-on-sierra/

Thank you, I will try that.

To use APFS you need a driver apfs.efi.

Put the driver in Clover/DriversUEFI

PS: Do not use the Kext utility, more harm than good!

I do ave apps.api there but still no option in Clover. I will redownload and try again. Tnx.

Tnx, that tool is working. Loaded Voodoo and Ethernet kext without a problem. Still have issues with graphics.

This is the closest I can get. Flickering screen

post-1541955-0-45825700-1498250822_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Boot to High Sierra succesfully, but without nVidia web drivers picture is not as good as it has to be.

This was only experiment for me, only want to know what I have to change, when High Sierra be official.

Configuration:

MoBo - Gigabyte GA-110N 

CPU - Skylake i7 6700T

GPU - Gainward GTX 750Ti 2GB

Nvidia will not update web drivers untill public official release.

Geforce kexts are still present in 10,13, did you try booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (without nv_disable=1) you may still select nv_webdrivers in boot menu.