Ryzen Clover Installation Guide macOS Sierra

Gigamaxx

1,334 posts in this topic

It is a test that represents nothing very concrete that mainly takes into account memory latency, Intel CPUs are very good at this game there the reality is quite different in front of a real soft, cinebench does not take all of the memory ;)

Now it would be a real subject to work on the nVidia poor performance, since CPU performance is not a problem because we find the same performance under Windows, it is strictly nothing to post CPU benchs at post length that is Than a loss of time.

It would be interesting for members with GPU nV 9xx or 10xx post their different results and problems encountered when using them :)

thanks

It is a test that represents nothing very concrete that mainly takes into account memory latency, Intel CPUs are very good at this game there the reality is quite different in front of a real soft, cinebench does not take all of the memory ;)

Now it would be a real subject to work on the nVidia poor performance, since CPU performance is not a problem because we find the same performance under Windows, it is strictly nothing to post CPU benchs at post length that is Than a loss of time.

It would be interesting for members with GPU nV 9xx or 10xx post their different results and problems encountered when using them :)

thanks

This is about RX Polaris cards not needing IGPU or Helper card, it's pretty important because we get 16 lanes instead of 8 lanes for PCI configuration.

It works in sierra 12.5 with Ryzen but in Sierra 12.6 it does not work with Ryzen. You get the 480/575 but it boots to black screen. The fix does work on Intel CPU in Sierra 12.6 so it's a Ryzen related issue.

For anyone that wants to build a current Ryzen system they have Nvidia and AMD for vCard choices, the AMD cards work best but it is hard to buy used cards which is why getting Polaris cards working makes a lot of sense. These cards work great in Mac OS.

This is about RX Polaris cards not needing IGPU or Helper card, it's pretty important because we get 16 lanes instead of 8 lanes for PCI configuration.

It works in sierra 12.5 with Ryzen but in Sierra 12.6 it does not work with Ryzen. You get the 480/575 but it boots to black screen. The fix does work on Intel CPU in Sierra 12.6 so it's a Ryzen related issue.

For anyone that wants to build a current Ryzen system they have Nvidia and AMD for vCard choices, the AMD cards work best but it is hard to buy used cards which is why getting Polaris cards working makes a lot of sense. These cards work great in Mac OS.

This is normal, you are running with a 10.12.5 (Darwin 16.5) kernel and not for 10.12.6, the Darwin version is not the same so the kernel extension will not work or bad :)

It requires a revision of the kernel for a good support :)

This is normal, you are running with a 10.12.5 (Darwin 16.5) kernel and not for 10.12.6, the Darwin version is not the same so the kernel extension will not work or bad :)

It requires a revision of the kernel for a good support :)

Sierra beta 12.6 has worked well with this kernel, until now. This is the final release of 12.6 it has many changes over sierra 12.5 which are good for AMD graphics cards, Polaris, fury etc....

So we need a new kernel for 12.6? And one for High Sierra!

Sierra beta 12.6 has worked well with this kernel, until now. This is the final release of 12.6 it has many changes over sierra 12.5 which are good for AMD graphics cards, Polaris, fury etc....

So we need a new kernel for 12.6? And one for High Sierra!

It is necessary to invoke the gods of the kernel !! Bro ... nya ... one ... kernel, Bro ... nya ... one ... kernel, Bro ... nya ... one ... kernel, Bro ... nya ... One ... kernel, bro ... nya ... one ... kernel, Bro ... nya ... one ... kernel, Bro ... nya ... one ... kernel, Bro. ..nya ... one ... kernel  :thumbsup_anim:  :hysterical:

• Like 2

So are we best off not updating to 10.12.6 until a new Ryzen Kernel is released?

Likewise.. we should steer clear of 10.13 until kernel is updated?

Yes, it works but since the 12.6 public release my Sierra Beta 12.6 has stopped updating and now is acting up a bit. However the AMD Polaris and fury cards get better support in Sierra 12.6 so it's a toss up, in 12.5 you need to edit the info.plists to get metal support.

High Sierra will apparently need to wait for public release, but its fun to test if you have the patience and time.

Yes, it works but since the 12.6 public release my Sierra Beta 12.6 has stopped updating and now is acting up a bit. However the AMD Polaris and fury cards get better support in Sierra 12.6 so it's a toss up, in 12.5 you need to edit the info.plists to get metal support.

High Sierra will apparently need to wait for public release, but its fun to test if you have the patience and time.

All sounds VERY promising for the future of macOS on Ryzen! I won't be updating anything until I know it's all stable, as my Ryzen build is my daily workstation, but I'm excited to see the future coming together!

Also @Gigamaxx, as we have verified that Clover 4114 is a more stable and optimized version over 4077, I think we should update the guide on page 1 to use 4114 with the method you mentioned instead, replacing only Kexts folder and clover.plist

• Like 1

What issues are you encountering in 12.6?

I did a fresh install so far so good

Were you able to get 12.6 bootloader USB to work? I'm using my 12.5 loader then updating and it works ok as well but we have the lilukext issue, and I'm having troubles with open GL apps like Uningine. I also did update to Safari 11.0 which Is the only beta update since the release of 12.6 for public use. It may be the Safari causing the open GL but the lilukext not working completely is bad for Polaris users.

All sounds VERY promising for the future of macOS on Ryzen! I won't be updating anything until I know it's all stable, as my Ryzen build is my daily workstation, but I'm excited to see the future coming together!Also @Gigamaxx, as we have verified that Clover 4114 is a more stable and optimized version over 4077, I think we should update the guide on page 1 to use 4114 with the method you mentioned instead, replacing only Kexts folder and clover.plist

Bronya is working on another release 4101? He's working out some more bugs, I was kinda waiting for that version to be implemented by Slice for a public release. Have you guys tried testing it, it's in the kernel testing thread or Ryzen thread along with a new chameloen?

no i wasnt able to use 12.6 usb installer. I used my(hackintosh intel) and  usb intel installer(via x86 guide) to install in a hard drive .then do the disk edits (for ryzen) and replace whole efi folder, with the one provided in the ryzen essentials. 

i can test it out so far so good. 

not sure whats up with the 12.6 usb installer if anyone has been successful your help would be good

Hey all,

I've read just about every thread about ryzen installs and I'm totally confused about what to try next. The thing I'm most confused about is the method of install. It doesn't appear as though anyone has been able to setup the USB stick described in the first post and boot into the installer on a ryzen machine. I have followed those instructions and I can't get it to work. I have tried my GTX 1070, HD 7970 and 8600GT but all give the same result... a pixelated screen about 50% of the way through the initial loading of the installer.

I have seen people mention installing from within Sierra to a USB drive but I'm not 100% I know what that means. Is it a matter of installing to USB following the guide in the first post, then once the first part is complete, boot into that USB/HDD on a working Mac and complete part 2 of the guide? Then put that disk into the ryzen machine? I'm not sure I'll be able to do that on the VM.

Guys can we keep this on topic please. This topic is a tutorial and only questions about the install process should be posted here. If you wish to discuss benchmarks or Nvidia issues please open another topic.

Thanks,

Shaneee

-AMD Moderator. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the redirect Shaneee :P

As I have had a few people asking me about updating Clover to Version 4114, which seems to be more optimized... Here's how:

First, backup your current EFI partition - you will need some of the files in it and it's always good to have a backup.

Download Clover 4114 and install it on your Ryzen boot drive. Copy in the "Kexts" folder from your old EFI backup and choose "Replace". Then add your Clover.plist and replace.

Should be all that is needed!

Via ~Gigamaxx

Question of my own: If I put my PC to sleep while booted to Ryzen, the Power State is changed correctly and the PC sleeps, but when I turn it back on, everything lights up and turns back on except for the monitors. Neither my HDMI nor DVI monitors light up, they just stay black. I think the PC itself is on, but made something to do with display drivers? I'm not entirely sure...

- Radeon R9 280X

• Like 2

Hey all,

I've read just about every thread about ryzen installs and I'm totally confused about what to try next. The thing I'm most confused about is the method of install. It doesn't appear as though anyone has been able to setup the USB stick described in the first post and boot into the installer on a ryzen machine. I have followed those instructions and I can't get it to work. I have tried my GTX 1070, HD 7970 and 8600GT but all give the same result... a pixelated screen about 50% of the way through the initial loading of the installer.

I have seen people mention installing from within Sierra to a USB drive but I'm not 100% I know what that means. Is it a matter of installing to USB following the guide in the first post, then once the first part is complete, boot into that USB/HDD on a working Mac and complete part 2 of the guide? Then put that disk into the ryzen machine? I'm not sure I'll be able to do that on the VM.

If you use a USB to sata adapter and have a working Mac or hack you can load sierra on the external drive, go through the setup procedure and then shut down System. Disconnect the new drive and restart, then attach new drive and use the "Disk Edit Essentials" package. Go to post #2 for video and basic instructions.

Thanks for the redirect Shaneee :P

As I have had a few people asking me about updating Clover to Version 4114, which seems to be more optimized... Here's how:

First, backup your current EFI partition - you will need some of the files in it and it's always good to have a backup.

Download Clover 4114 and install it on your Ryzen boot drive. Copy in the "Kexts" folder from your old EFI backup and choose "Replace". Then add your Clover.plist and replace.

Should be all that is needed!

Via ~Gigamaxx

Question of my own: If I put my PC to sleep while booted to Ryzen, the Power State is changed correctly and the PC sleeps, but when I turn it back on, everything lights up and turns back on except for the monitors. Neither my HDMI nor DVI monitors light up, they just stay black. I think the PC itself is on, but made something to do with display drivers? I'm not entirely sure...

- Radeon R9 280X

Shouldn't this go in the new thread, lol? How about a new thread "AMD Ryzen component compatibility and performance isssues"?

If you use a USB to sata adapter and have a working Mac or hack you can load sierra on the external drive, go through the setup procedure and then shut down System. Disconnect the new drive and restart, then attach new drive and use the "Disk Edit Essentials" package. Go to post #2 for video and basic instructions.

Shouldn't this go in the new thread, lol? How about a new thread "AMD Ryzen component compatibility and performance isssues"?

I was thinking this was an issue that may not be graphics related and I was wondering If anyone else is experiencing the same issue? If it is Graphics related I will move it elsewhere

I was thinking this was an issue that may not be graphics related and I was wondering If anyone else is experiencing the same issue? If it is Graphics related I will move it elsewhere

It's ok, do you want to star a new thread? We probably should as this one is going the route of most threads and getting a little off topic.

We have the help thread but a performance thread would be nice to specifically target fixes for hardware issues.

It's ok, do you want to star a new thread? We probably should as this one is going the route of most threads and getting a little off topic.

We have the help thread but a performance thread would be nice to specifically target fixes for hardware issues.

Yes I'll go ahead and start one and link it back here.

New Thread for Post - Install issues, troubleshooting, etc. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325841-ryzen-macos-sierra-post-install-troubleshooting-nvidia-other-drivers-audio-hardware-compatibility-etc/

• Like 2

Hi all,

First time making a Hackintosh here. I am having issues booting from the usb installer. I get clover, click open, see the apple logo, but then after it starts loading my monitor drops out. The computer is still running however. I'm wondering if it could be a graphics related issue? Or perhaps I'm missing something in the BIOS? I've tried a lot of variations for the config file, different kexts, etc. And I've definitely followed the instructions properly. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Any advice?

AMD Ryzen 1700

Gigabyte gaming AB350

NVIDIA Geforce GTS 350

Thanks Gigamaxx, that worked! 

• Like 1