Ryzen Clover Installation Guide macOS Sierra

Gigamaxx

1,334 posts in this topic

attachicon.gifRyzen RX 480 solo.png

RX 480 without helper card working with lilukext and WhateverGreenKext.     You will need a helper card to get it configured and run the liluKext.Sym script.

Does the RX480 run at x16? Or is this script just a fake helper card creator, and it runs at x8 x8? If it's the first option, that's a huge improvement :D

And, does this kext work with MacOS High Sierra? The screenshot shows you're still in 10.12...

• Like 1

Ryzen RX 480 solo.png

RX 480 without helper card working with lilukext and WhateverGreenKext. You will need a helper card to get it configured and run the liluKext.Sym script.

Can you walk me through this? I tried placing this two kext in extensions but then kext wizard... but no luck .. what settings do you use after you don't need helper

Any performance improvements?

Does the RX480 run at x16? Or is this script just a fake helper card creator, and it runs at x8 x8? If it's the first option, that's a huge improvement :D

And, does this kext work with MacOS High Sierra? The screenshot shows you're still in 10.12...

You build your machine already?

I believe Gigamaxx has done benchmarks in the past with overclocked Ryzen on Sierra and actually gotten lower Scores... I will have to do some testing on my own and see what I come up with!

I did using Papierculs setup without busratio=xx, I did from 4.0-3.7GHz using busratio=xx and they all increased but at around 3.6Ghz and up the single core score dropped a little.   The multicore scores went up.

• Like 1

I did using Papierculs setup without busratio=xx, I did from 4.0-3.7GHz using busratio=xx and they all increased but at around 3.6Ghz and up the single core score dropped a little.   The multicore scores went up.

Good to know.. Maybe I'll use my mobos stock OC profile as I know it's completely stable and I don't want to mess around too much. 

On a side note, has anyone tried using Warp Stabilizer or 3D Camera Tracker in After Effects?? I edited a short video today to test out the Ryzen and I have been extremely impressed, except that neither the camera tracker nor warp stabilizer in AE is working for me! If someone could confirm this is not just me that would be great. If it is just me I will have to try reinstalling After Effects, but it's a pain and I don't want to if I don't have to.

I couldn't get it working either, so I got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BMG9TB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works immediately!

Also, if anyone is skeptical about choosing Ryzen or not... I think this should convince you.

Here is the benchmark of the most powerful MacPro made. This machine is over $5000 from Apple.

The difference in MultiCore Geekbench score between these computers is only ~2000. Praise the PC gods!

ZGWnrj7.png

And here is the benchmark from my $300 Ryzen 1700X at stock 3.4GHz clock:

qIoZNHO.png

I got great scores overclocked. Maybe it wasn't scaling correctly before when we had to use busratio=xx. Now with the new clover it is working!!!

I will keep testing at different overclock stages and will keep notes on heat and power consumption (in Windows of course). Probably I'll just do parallel tests Sierra and Windows using Ryzen.

The screenshot with the lower scores is stock R7 1700. Why is it higher than yours if you have a higher tiered processor 1700X? Yours run at 3.4Ghz mine runs at 3.0 Ghz Stock???????? Weird.

Are you using the new clover 4117 or higher?? They support Ryzen natively.

post-1064113-0-58390400-1501394799_thumb.jpg

post-1064113-0-69543400-1501396103_thumb.jpeg

EDIT:

Going to try the things suggested in the previous pages of this thread first.

Has anyone managed to follow the default installation instructions and successfully boot into the installer using a 1070/pascal variant? I've followed the steps in the first post and verified each one by watching the video. I've tried it from scratch 3 times but I get the same result. I selected the pascal config.plist because of my 1070 which looks to be the only part I've deviated from the installation steps.

When I turn on verbose mode, I get the usual loading log so stuff is happening. It starts probing one of my USB ports (I assume it's my keyboard because the lights flash on it) then complains about it not being a USB HUB (my keyboard has USB ports on it). Shortly after that my screen goes pixelated and I can't read what's being printed to it. I assume that means a graphics issue rather than the USB errors?

I'm trying this all on a Gigabye AB-350 Gaming/Ryzen 1700/GTX 1070. I've enabled/disabled the BIOS options mentioned in the first post... at least the one that mapped to those described. The two I'm not sure about are:

1.) Serial Port=disabled, also may be labeled Super IO Configuration= disabled. [I can't see an option for this]
2.) XMP detection enabled (Ram frequency settings) [I get an option to turn XMP on, but I can't as my PC won't boot with the RAM I've got. That would be different to detection right? I'm a bit confused by this. Do I need XMP on? If so then I'll have to call it quits as my motherboard will not accept my RAM with XMP on.]

Thanks.

You build your machine already?

Not until November, when Black Friday and Cybermonday come. Though I'm already making many possible component lists, and knowing if I'll need 1 or 2 CPUs helps :3

On a side note, has anyone tried using Warp Stabilizer or 3D Camera Tracker in After Effects?? I edited a short video today to test out the Ryzen and I have been extremely impressed, except that neither the camera tracker nor warp stabilizer in AE is working for me! If someone could confirm this is not just me that would be great. If it is just me I will have to try reinstalling After Effects, but it's a pain and I don't want to if I don't have to.

The 3D Camera tracker is quite a messy tool in AfterEffects. It only works if your video doesn't move a lot, and even so, you never know if it will be efective. I've tried to track text in like 15 different clips and none have worked for me as I wanted. And I know what I'm doing, I've been talking with experienced editors. So no, it probably doesn't relate to Ryzen + MacOS.

Not until November, when Black Friday and Cybermonday come. Though I'm already making many possible component lists, and knowing if I'll need 1 or 2 CPUs helps :3

The 3D Camera tracker is quite a messy tool in AfterEffects. It only works if your video doesn't move a lot, and even so, you never know if it will be efective. I've tried to track text in like 15 different clips and none have worked for me as I wanted. And I know what I'm doing, I've been talking with experienced editors. So no, it probably doesn't relate to Ryzen + MacOS.

Unfortunately its not just working improperly, its not working at all. I have done a lot of work with it in the past and It just sits on initializing. If it makes it past there, it just says frame 1 of 360 and freezes..

I got great scores overclocked. Maybe it wasn't scaling correctly before when we had to use busratio=xx. Now with the new clover it is working!!!

I will keep testing at different overclock stages and will keep notes on heat and power consumption (in Windows of course). Probably I'll just do parallel tests Sierra and Windows using Ryzen.

The screenshot with the lower scores is stock R7 1700. Why is it higher than yours if you have a higher tiered processor 1700X? Yours run at 3.4Ghz mine runs at 3.0 Ghz Stock???????? Weird.

Are you using the new clover 4117 or higher?? They support Ryzen natively.

Very strange.. I installed Clover using 4117, but then copied all my EFI files back in from Clover 4077, so maybe I overwrote it all by accident. I'll try 4117 with the stock setup and see what happens.

@samaelestevez Here is what I found on GeekBench scores...

Stock Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz Base Clock Clover 4077

fw3tKoz.png

Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz Base Clock Clover 4114

hFcIuZM.jpg

Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.6GHz Overclock

jKR780N.jpg

It looks like Clover 4114 does help performance a bit. I agree with Gigamaxx as well on the fact that Overclocking seems to reduce individual scores while still increasing multicore scores. I haven't bothered pushing past 3.6GHz because honestly I don't need any more. My 3200MHz RAM is also still operating at 2133MHz because I was crashing constantly at 3200MHz. I may try to up it to 2933MHz and see how stable it is / how it scores on GeekBench.

**UPDATE** @ Gigamaxx I don't know if you tried changing memory clock at all, but after changing my memory clock from 2133MHz to 2933MHz, my scores at 3.6GHz OC jumped 1000 points multicore and 200 points single!

I knew RAM speed affected Ryzen, but this is significant!

Heres the screenshot:

asGzpZ7.jpg

• Like 1

You have to do things simply and everything will work as it should;)

Besides, I do not understand the usefulness of this subject.   :blink:  The Clover settings are the same for AMD and Intel CPU, some settings will not work on AMD CPU, we will do with :)

• Like 1

@samaelestevez Here is what I found on GeekBench scores...

Stock Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz Base Clock Clover 4077

Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz Base Clock Clover 4114

Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.6GHz Overclock

It looks like Clover 4114 does help performance a bit. I agree with Gigamaxx as well on the fact that Overclocking seems to reduce individual scores while still increasing multicore scores. I haven't bothered pushing past 3.6GHz because honestly I don't need any more. My 3200MHz RAM is also still operating at 2133MHz because I was crashing constantly at 3200MHz. I may try to up it to 2933MHz and see how stable it is / how it scores on GeekBench.

**UPDATE** @ Gigamaxx I don't know if you tried changing memory clock at all, but after changing my memory clock from 2133MHz to 2933MHz, my scores at 3.6GHz OC jumped 1000 points multicore and 200 points single!

I knew RAM speed affected Ryzen, but this is significant!

Heres the screenshot:

RAM is Very important for Ryzen.     I have 32gb 2400MHz my scores reflect that, Gils has less ram and lower frequency and has lower scores.    The Quantity and Speed of RAM is a big part of Ryzen performance and it applies equally to Windows configuration as well.   Ryzen makes full use of high speed ram.

i still can get those two kext to work so i can use it without helper card lol

ARE you getting this name with the RX 480 with lilukext and Greenkext?

post-1753549-0-85247600-1501448967_thumb.png

• Like 2

RAM is Very important for Ryzen.     I have 32gb 2400MHz my scores reflect that, Gils has less ram and lower frequency and has lower scores.    The Quantity and Speed of RAM is a big part of Ryzen performance and it applies equally to Windows configuration as well.   Ryzen makes full use of high speed ram.

Completely agree with you as much as geekbench is a random benchmark that does not reflect anything.
It is necessary to pass and carry out real task to account for it :)

Geekbench win 10 = 17000 points for me ;)

RAM is Very important for Ryzen. I have 32gb 2400MHz my scores reflect that, Gils has less ram and lower frequency and has lower scores. The Quantity and Speed of RAM is a big part of Ryzen performance and it applies equally to Windows configuration as well. Ryzen makes full use of high speed ram.

ARE you getting this name with the RX 480 with lilukext and Greenkext?

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 2.19.28 PM.png

Yes I am! I found it weird...