ASUS ZenBook (UX510UW-RB71) Ever Been Hackintoshed?

Shiggitay

6 posts in this topic

Hey all. I asked this very question in a thread on (only mentioning this site in the context of my question here, since I know your history with them) TonyMacx86, and their moderator RehabMan, despite my asking him not to, only redirected me to the laptop FAQ / install guide. So, I'll ask here. NO I'm not asking for TMx86 support. Just because I mention them doesn't mean I'm looking for help with their way of doing things.

Has anyone here attempted to hackintosh the ASUS ZenBook (UX510UW-RB71)?

I do not have this laptop yet, so please don't do what "they" do and redirect me to a guide I cannot use.

Here are its specs:

ASUS ZenBook UX510UW-RB71

Intel Skylake Core i7-6500U (2.5GHz - 3.1GHz) Processor 
15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display 
16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory 
1TB Hard Drive 
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (4GB) GDDR5 Graphics Card 
Wireless 802.11AC + Bluetooth 4.1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) 
Illuminated Chiclet Keyboard

I'm aware that it's got Optimus graphics, and I'm also aware that Optimus as of my posting this thread (June 2017) does not work under Mac OS X on non Apple hardware. I know I'd have to disable via DSDT the NVIDIA GPU and resort to the HD 520 iGPU. I'm also aware that the Intel WiFi/BT card would have to be swapped out if I want it functional under OS X. All I'm asking is WHETHER OR NOT (sorry for the caps but the TMx86 ppl are so inept when a question like this is asked) ANYONE HERE has ATTEMPTED to hackintosh this particular model of laptop?

Thanks,

Shiggitay

• Like 1

Work good

U need disable nvidia and use IntelHd

Check here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/323052-sierra-on-intel-5-6-7-8-9-and-10-chipset-series

With all due respect did you read any of my post? I said I was well aware that I'd have to disable the NVIDIA GPU, but you didn't confirm with me if you've hackintoshed this particular model. Laptops can have their own quirks that desktop do not have.

• Like 1

i stated this on the irc channel so i'll say it here - i can't find anything specific to your model but skylake zenbooks have been done before in osx86. looking at the specs i can say it's worth the energy to go through with it assuming you're alright with not being able to use the nvidia graphics. When it comes to laptops, replacing the wifi isn't new and it's pretty inexpensive.

if i were in your shoes and had interest in buying this, i'd probably try and decide which is important - using macOS as my only OS for everything, or selectively using macOS and moving my needs that require Nvidia dedicated graphics to Windows (or Linux via bumblebee software).

Even as someone who can use my dedicated graphics in both macOS and Windows, i still choose Windows for certain things like games. I got into wine etc. over a decade ago and ended up just falling back to running Windows on a separate partition for the best performance for the vast majority of apps. This is probably why in this day I don't necessarily relate to people who are looking for an "all or nothing" solution with osx86. You're hacking at an OS to run on hardware in combination with firmware that it wasn't necessarily designed to run on.

I think this isn't a bad pick for an osx86 laptop when I looked into it. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

Knowing that you would have to disable the Nvidia card and replace the wifi chip with a compatible one is a plus. All the other specs look compatible, i have not seen which audio chip it uses but AppeALC + Lilu and the right layout id should take care of it once you know what it uses. I would say go for it, My Asus laptop is very solid running macOS.

EDIT: Looks as if it uses Realtek ALC256 which means with AppleALC + Lilu and layout ID 13 you should be good to go for audio.