32 posts in this topic

From the benchmarks, the core duo isn't that much faster, second or so to a half a minute. I don't do heavy photo stuff, just crop, resize and maybe put a filter on it like invert colors or something. BASIC stuff. I think I will go to ebay and get a solo with 1 gig ram. Thanks.

For mac mini users:

is 512 on the intel a good amount of memory? I had a G4 1.25 and 512 and it seemed it ran out of memory alot. When I get one, I will do this:

photo editing from digital camera

looking at audio files

capture some video, very small

What do I do? Ghost hunting. Yes, seriously like Ghost Hunters on SciFi channel (www.scifi.com/ghosthunters). I don't need alot, but I do open some files around 200 megs sometimes. Just wondering. Thanks.

I do all of that on my mini Duo (base config) and it's fine with even the standard ram. I don't think you'd see a real difference with the solo. I'm really happy with my Mac... it's my main computer, yes it is full fledged and it handles everything, and I mean everything) that I throw at it. Love it!

I'm sure it'll be just fine even with 200meg files being captured.

If you have any concerns or wanna discuss it, PM me!

• 1 month later...

I am not all that happy with my mini (core duo 1.66ghz / 512mb) which I bought when it first came out (last april).

I hooked up a firewire hdd to run the osx on it, and it's mighty fast when it boots up. However, strangely, the hdd that was hardly used inside mini die twice on me... I just had it replaced again last month.

I think overall, mac mini is great for regular use, such as browsing web, watch dvd, email, and little stuff... just not heavy duty stuff.