[Guide] P5B-E w/ Jas 10.4.8

a2000rick

28 posts in this topic

NEW! Just use uphuck's DVD release 1.4r3 and everything that works here works but without using any hacks! All you need is a SATA DVD drive. And to dual boot, use EasyBCD .

I'll leave this here for historical reference

Good Luck

This is how i got my Asus P5B-E to work almost perfectly. Hope it helps.

Should work with the Asus P5B and P5B Deluxe too

YOU NEED A USB DVD DRIVE FOR THIS INSTALL, or use VMWARE as now described here!

(or use thedguy's http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34938 patch, but you still need to edit your osx once installed using my guide)

Working:

On-Board Sound: AD1988

PATA controller: JMicron 363

SATA controller

Firewire

Back USB ports

Not Working:

On-Board LAN: Attansic L1

Front 2 USB ports. Could me my case (Antec P150b) (USB 7-10)

General Install Guide:

Install Guide (Dual Boot with XP)

Windows Prep

1. Get partition magic and resize your windows partition, so that you have at least 6GB left.

(or if you're reinstalling windows xp from scratch, when choosing your disk size, just reduce it by how much you want for OSX)

2. Start Menu -> Run... -> diskpart

3. list disk

4. select disk 0 (replace 0 with the disk you'll install OSX on)

5. list partition

6. select partition 2 (replace 2 with the partition you'll install OSX on)

7. create partition primary id=af

8. active

OSX installation: USB DVD Method

1. Change your BIOS settings so that your using AHCI for the intel ICH8R controller (this will be IDE again later)

2. JMicron doesn't work yet so your going to need a USB DVD drive

3. Put in the DVD, when booting press F8 and choose your USB DVD drive

4. Click next, next, next until you get to the desination screen.

5. Open Disk Utilites, and format your free space to HFS Journaled

6. Install OSX w/ JaS.10.4.8.Combo.Update, INTEL.SSE3.mifki, INTEL.ICH8.SATA.Support

7. Wait until it reboots

8. Go to -> 'First Boot'

OSX installation: WMWare Method

1. Install VMWARE

2. Use Daemon Tools to mount the OSX install DVD image.

3. Create a new virtual machine choosing typical windows NT system.

4. Choose not to use a network connection

5. Make the disk size 0.1 (you won't be using it anyway)

6. Edit the virtual Machine

7. Choose CDROM and select your Daemon Tools virtual drive with the osx install image

8. Remove the Hardisk in the virtual machine

9. Click 'Add'

10. Choose 'Hard Disk' -> 'Use a physical disk'

11. Choose the disk you want to install on

12. Select 'Use entire disk'

13. Start the virtual machine

14. Quickly press 'ESC' to enter the boot menu -> boot from 'CD-ROM Drive'

15. If you get a hardware fault error or something, just make a new virtual machine with the same settings and try again. I had to do this a few times before it worked ... not a big deal though since you only need it to work once.

16. Click next, next, next until you get to the desination screen.

17. Open Disk Utilites, and format your free space to HFS Journaled

18. Install OSX w/ JaS.10.4.8.Combo.Update, INTEL.SSE3.mifki, INTEL.ICH8.SATA.Support

19. Wait until it reboots

20. Go to -> 'Back to Windows' (since you're already there)

First Boot

1. Enter your info

2. use spotlight to find the "chain0" file and copy it to a usb key

4. Restart, but this time press F8 when booting Darwin.

5. Then select to boot into windows

Back to Windows

1. Copy chain0 to your c:/ drive

2. Right click on My computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Start up and recovery -> Edit

3. add c:\chain0="OSX"

4. Save

5. Start Menu -> Run... -> diskpart

6. list disk

7. select disk 0 (replace 0 with the disk you have XP on)

8. list partition

9. select partition 1 (replace 1 with the partition you have XP on)

10. active

Now you can boot between windows and osx ( just remeber to press F8 when you select OSX in the windows boot menu, otherwise darwin will select windows, and youll be back at square one)

Hacks

On-Board Sound: AD1988

1. Open Terminal and type the following to delete your AppleHDA.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

2. Edit your AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

3. find Realtek ALC880/ALC860 and change the string value to

<string>0x11d41988</string>

4. sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

5. find <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> and change the string value to

<string>0x284b8086</string>

6. Fix the permissions and remove cashed kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

7. Reboot

PATA controller: JMicron 363

1. sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist

2. search for VIA SATA Controller

3. Add 0x2363197B to <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

4. sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist

5. search for GenericAHCI

6. change the IOPCIClassMatch string to 0x2363197B

7. Repair permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleVIAATA.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleVIAATA.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAHCIPort.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAHCIPort.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

8. Switch your ICH8R to IDE in BIOS

System Time

If your clock is running fast then try this fix

1. In windows download PC Wizard (http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php)

2. Run it, and under Mainboard ->chipset->northbridge find FSB (Mine was 266)

3. Boot into OSX with this parameter: fsb=266 (or whatever yours was)

4. If this fixes the problem edit your com.apple.boot.plist file

Its found here: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

5. in terminal type: sudo nano com.apple.boot.plist

6. add fsb=266 to the Kernal Flags string

7. WriteOut, and Exit

8. type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel com.apple.boot.plist

sudo chmod -R 755 com.apple.boot.plist

9. Reboot

Administrator Password

If you don't know your administrator password (needed to change system files/settings) try this

1. Reboot your computer using the 10.4.8 install DVD

2. Under utilities there is a password changer. Use it to change the administrator password

Edited by a2000rick

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a problem.

I'm using the P5B Deluxe with a USB DVD drive and I am getting the 10.4.8 JAS DVD to boot, but

on the BOOT screen I get a white crossed out circle.

The apple logo shows up and then that appears.

My configuration is as follows:

USB2 -> DVD: DVD is on DVD-R

I got the 10.4.8 OS X JAS build.

P5B Deluxe has Drive 1: Windows XP/ Windows Vista.

Drive 2 has: FAT 32 and empty. (I figured I could put it on this drive)

Bios: AHCI is enabled (my windows isn't configured to use this, so I cannot keep it this setting)

I get a few errors if I boot in -v mode. I will post these later.

Anyone have experience using this on a P5B Deluxe?

Cheers,

Chris.

Okay,

I was able to install OSX.

I was plugging the usb drive into my front panel.

On my Lian-Li / P5B Deluxe combo, the front panel usb ports do not work.

When OSX first started I noticed that the movies were flying by very fast.

When I get into the OS I notice the screen resolution is fixed at 1204*1028 or something.

I am unable to set this.

Also, the screen has a hard time refreshing when I scroll/ resize etc.

I'm using the 8800 GTS. Any patches out for this card?

~Chris.

to all,

does anyone have all 4 ich8 sata ports working with the jas ich8 sata fix? it seems that only the top two ports work. i've noticed that the device id for the top ports is 2820, while it's 2825 for the bottom ones. also in the ioreg, it appears that the IOATAfamily.kext registers and activates the 2825 ports and sets up channels 1 & 2, but stops there. any thoughts?

I've the same board and Firewire port doesn't work......... It actually shows in system Profiler and System Preference --> Network, but if I plug an external FW HDD into it, can't mount on desktop...........

Sad but true, i865 chipset based system is actually faster than i965 counterpart...........

hi, just a question, followed the guide here, and excellent work... but is there any chance, when you setup jmicron for ide to leave ich8 in ahci mode? the thing is, that i have my hdd connected to ich8 and running ahci mode in windows and linux... the on jmicron dvd drive, runnig in any mode.. but when i follow that guide, i cannot boot to macos with ahci mode getting still waiting for root device error...

if anyone know what to try, thanx for notify me.)

Hi everyone,

I need some help/pointers with installation of Jas Mac 10.4.8 on Asus P5B.

Here is info on my hardware:

MB Asus P5B, CPU Celeron® 2.53GHz Ram 512MB, 3 HDs (one IDE 40 GB), (2 SATA2 westerd digital, one 250GB on first SATA socket (color pink), the other one 80GB on second SATA socket (color pink), I read on this forum that OSX installation HD should be connected to black SATA socket but the Mac 10.4.8 installation utility doesn't see the 80GB HD if it's plugged to

black SATA socket. There is also IDE DVD burner, and external USB burner the one used to boot up Jas 10.4.8

After trying to install Jas 10.4.8 for sometime it looks like J have finally succeded. I'm saying "looks like" because after switching from loading gray screen with an apple in the center to Mac OS GUI the monitor goes black complayning about unsupported resolution. This must be due to my PCI video card Radeon 7200, PCIex16 is still available. Anyway I checked authentic MAC systems and noticed that ATI Radeon X1600 and NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT are used. So the question is if I buy chip x1600 or 7300GT will they be natevlly supported by OS without need to mess up with drivers? Another problem I want to reinstall XP in AHCI mode but instalation CD doesn't see either one of my SATA HD (western digital) Has anyone succided installing MAC OS on SATA via IDE setting?

By the way in AHCI mode only from 2 pink SATA connectors MAC OS can see HDs.

Edited by vasiliy

Hi everyone,

I need some help/pointers with installation of Jas Mac 10.4.8 on Asus P5B.

Here is info on my hardware:

MB Asus P5B, CPU Celeron® 2.53GHz Ram 512MB, 3 HDs (one IDE 40 GB), (2 SATA2 westerd digital, one 250GB on first SATA socket (color pink), the other one 80GB on second SATA socket (color pink), I read on this forum that OSX installation HD should be connected to black SATA socket but the Mac 10.4.8 installation utility doesn't see the 80GB HD if it's plugged to

black SATA socket. There is also IDE DVD burner, and external USB burner the one used to boot up Jas 10.4.8

After trying to install Jas 10.4.8 for sometime it looks like J have finally succeded. I'm saying "looks like" because after switching from loading gray screen with an apple in the center to Mac OS GUI the monitor goes black complayning about unsupported resolution. This must be due to my PCI video card Radeon 7200, PCIex16 is still available. Anyway I checked authentic MAC systems and noticed that ATI Radeon X1600 and NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT are used. So the question is if I buy chip x1600 or 7300GT will they be natevlly supported by OS without need to mess up with drivers? Another problem I want to reinstall XP in AHCI mode but instalation CD doesn't see either one of my SATA HD (western digital) Has anyone succided installing MAC OS on SATA via IDE setting?

By the way in AHCI mode only from 2 pink SATA connectors MAC OS can see HDs.

1) For ATI X1600/nVidia 7300GT, you'll need Titan/Natit driver (personally I prefer nVidia better, 'cause Titan is originally written for nVidia card).

2) For XP installation on AHCI mode, you'll need to press F2 during blue screen to load extra driver for AHCI/SATA.

3) OSX installation can recognise SATA via IDE setting.

1) For ATI X1600/nVidia 7300GT, you'll need Titan/Natit driver (personally I prefer nVidia better, 'cause Titan is originally written for nVidia card).

2) For XP installation on AHCI mode, you'll need to press F2 during blue screen to load extra driver for AHCI/SATA.

3) OSX installation can recognise SATA via IDE setting.

Thanks for answering SkyZ,

Couple more '?' load extra driver for AHCI/SATA. are the drivers available on WinXP installation CD?

OSX installation can recognize SATA via IDE setting. yes, but will it "properly" function? at lease same as if installed in AHCI mode

Thanks again for answering

And happy new year to everyone.

Vasilii

Thanks for answering SkyZ,

Couple more '?' load extra driver for AHCI/SATA. are the drivers available on WinXP installation CD?

OSX installation can recognize SATA via IDE setting. yes, but will it "properly" function? at lease same as if installed in AHCI mode

Thanks again for answering

And happy new year to everyone.

Vasilii

Hi there, for XP installation, you'll need the SATA controller driver from P5B-E driver CD, XP installation CD doesn't have it built in. About OSX installation, yes, it works properly.

Just another update, if you want JMicron 363 PATA, then 4 out of 10 USB ports won't work. Yesterday I replaced my PATA DVD ROM with a SATA DVD writer, remove AppleVIAATA.kext (no more PATA device!!) and miracle happened!! When boot up in -v mode, I can see the system recognise two EHCI instead of one!! The result is, ALL USB ports are fully working now~~~ :(

• 5 weeks later...

It's slightly OT, but everytime I tried to install XP, booting with AHCI I got a Bluescreen during the XP installer. If I remember, the error code was something like 0x0000007c or something.

I never updated the Bios of the P5b Deluxe Wifi - could that be the cause?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...