Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Question to the people with 104/106 drivers, are they working as smooth as previous OSX versions?

I have a 980Ti 10.13.3 and with 156 drivers the lag made everything impossible to use, with 104/106 it's smoother but still not as smooth as Sierra.

On my X99/GTX 960 both 104 and 106 work reasonably well. I am currently with the 106. But maximum softness currently only got on the Laptop with Intel HD 520...?

My lags came from having 2 GPUs, when I had 1 GPU in when I was install 10.13.3 update, everything was silky smooth, adding the second GPU with SSDT for graphics gave me black screen on iMacPro SMBIOS. Removing SSDT's gave the worst lag and lack of video acceleration, no transparency, no GPU UI rendering. Downgrading to .106 gave the performance back even tough in the past year I have never managed to get the system to work at 100% performance. There is ALWAYS some sort of lag.

Maybe 13.4 and new GPU drivers from NVIDIA will correct some.

Hi all

People with lags could share a video which shows these problems?

Thank you

I have no lags and I am very curious about this subject

Hi all

People with lags could share a video which shows these problems?

Thank you

I have no lags and I am very curious about this subject

Hi fabiosun

I just installed 10.13.3 and I'm using nVidiaGraphicsFixUp with iMac17,1 SMBIOS. With nVidia WebDriver 156

I aslo tested AGDPfix 1.3 or clover's on the fly patch for board-id with no difference. The lags are there. Even with the iMacPro SMBIOS.

Lags.zip

What I really do not get is:  Why are a lot of GUIs, for example Ableton Live, so much faster on a normal MacBookPro with Intel Graphics than on my 1050Ti web driver 4k rig?   The nvidia driver seems to be ridiculous slow in lot of scaling operations. Yes, the driver is activated. Let's take Ableton's internal scaling: If I set it to 100%, the speed is fine on the nvidia. As soon as I set it now to 90 or 110%, it will become super slow, just as some parts now are CPU driven...  On a MacBookPro with Intel Iris, it will be very fast on any scaling setting.  This so much annoys me, I tried to understand, why some GUIs seem to be super slow on nvidia. Maybe I should sell this {censored} and buy and AMD then  :mad:

Hi maerten I know your thread about this problem and it should be different of lags discussed here

I have no lag in metal interface as cyberdevs seems to have 

Instead I see some lags in opengl example you propose (html site)..it seems a rhythmic lag every 15s..in your system is too much frequent

I do not have this lag when I use some real time windows in software like cinema 4d or maya

but

tried in windows same site and there no lag at all (Microsoft edge / Firefox)

hi fabiosun, interesting vid from cyberdevs, it looks a bit different than the lags I have, but it might be related to my issue..

"rhytmic lag" seems like a good description, and I am wondering what happens during those lags.

On windows I have absolutely no issue either.

i am wondering: is there anyone with a hackintosh with NVIDIA 10xx series card + High Sierra, without these lags (as seen in the 'WebGL Water' demo vid i posted)

hi fabiosun, interesting vid from cyberdevs, it looks a bit different than the lags I have, but it might be related to my issue..

"rhytmic lag" seems like a good description, and I am wondering what happens during those lags.

On windows I have absolutely no issue either.

i am wondering: is there anyone with a hackintosh with NVIDIA 10xx series card + High Sierra, without these lags (as seen in the 'WebGL Water' demo vid i posted)

There is no lag in performance just in the interface , like when I use google chrome and minimize the window it lags. Then the video lags too. I have a 1080ti

This means:

GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen75 

Hardware acceleration is fully supported

That HW is supported but not used or what ? I have both HD Graphics 4400 and GTX 750 Ti enabled in the system

nvidia/amd macos driver or apple dropped video encoding/decoding for unknown reasons. For unclear reasons Apple is using the iGPU instead for video encoding/decoding (e.g. h264). So even with a dedicated amd/nvidia still the igpu is used. Your message indicates that everything is configured correctly and the HD4400 is used for this. If you want to know more about it, google for "shiki.kext" and check the FAQ over there.

• Like 1

Used to have long system Graphics freezes with .156 drivers due to wrong implementation of Metal2 API  with WindowServer process which renders almost everything related to GUI in macOS now with High Sierra but I found an workaround by going into system preferences displays and changing from "Default for this display" to scaled to 1080p and now ive no more lags. In the browsers like FF, Chrome the temporary solution is to disable hardware acceleration till nvidia releases new drivers with 10.13.4.

I just tested Web Driver 157. I had not tested with this Smbios iMac Pro. I thought I was going to have problems, but it surpassed me! I noticed that the graphics flow better and have less lag than with 106. NVDAWebPatcher did the job!  :yes::D

post-1313347-0-82923600-1518544293_thumb.png

post-1313347-0-68892900-1518544309_thumb.png

• Like 2

I just tested Web Driver 157. I had not tested with this Smbios iMac Pro. I thought I was going to have problems, but it surpassed me! I noticed that the graphics flow better and have less lag than with 106. NVDAWebPatcher did the job!  :yes::D

That's great!

Did you have issues in the past with Webdriver 157? And was it with a different SMBIOS?

That's great!

Did you have issues in the past with Webdriver 157? And was it with a different SMBIOS?

Yes, I had! I had experienced the 156 and 157 in Mac Pro 6.1 and did not get to see the desktop! Only black screen, even with fix and lilu...
  • Like 1

The drivers 156 and 156 are pure carp and show sheer incompetence from Nvidia. Pascal series seems to be affected the most.

Even those using real iMacs + TB3 E-GPU solutions seem to be affected.

Nvidia needs to step up their game. If this lag is going to be a feature for all future driver updates, I might as well ride the wave and sell my 1080ti right now for exorbitant price. It would also make sense to invest in AMD GPU which is confirmed to work out of the box.

• Like 3

I also have another curiosity: do people with issues with driver .156/.157 use CUDA driver, too?

What I'm trying to see is if there's any relation between the CUDA driver being installed and this issue.

I do use CUDA and it doesn't seem to help solve the Lag issue.

• Like 1

Thank you. Since I had issues without CUDA and you do even with it, then it's clear to me that the two things are not related.

Thanks so much for the fast reply. :)

You're welcome :)

I believe we can create another thread specifically for cross examining the facts and settings between the systems with and without the issue to narrow down the cause for the lag since this thread is just for nVidia Web Driver.

Everyone whom is interested in this issues please join me here to discuss the issue further more:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/332704-nvidia-gpus-and-the-infamous-lag-issue-why-is-that-happening/

Let's keep this thread a clean thread and discuss our issues there.

• Like 1