Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

I am running a Gigabyte Z97X board with a GTX 970. Was working perfectly under Sierra with no kexts other than the basics (FakeSMC, USB stuff). 

Anyway, I updated to the latest Clover and made sure that was working correctly, then I updated to High Sierra, which went smoothly. It booted at low res, naturally, using the default drivers. The NVIDIA control panel popped up and offered to install the High Sierra update, so I let it. 

Rebooted into a boot loop. The progress bar would get maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the way and then just reboot. So I tried verbose mode, but there was no panic and the writing on the screen flew by too fast to see anyway. Tried safe mode, ditto. Basically, everything I could think of resulted in the same rebooting loop.

I always keep a live backup of my system, updated daily, so I just booted into that and started looking into it.

What I found was that the NVIDIA installer had installed into /Library/Extensions rather than /System/Library/Extensions. The new drivers still put some .bundle files in S/L/E but all the kexts appear to live in L/E now for whatever reason.

I rebooted into single user mode, which worked fine, and removed all the NVIDIA kexts (but not .bundles!) from S/L/E. Then I removed all the caches, deleted the prelinked kernel, touched S/L/E, and rebooted into what seems to be a perfectly working system.

Since the 9 series boards support native NVRAM, just setting the NVIDIA drivers active in the control panel is sufficient. I don't need EmuVariableUefi-64.efi at all.

Also, I had a bit of trouble at first because my apfs.efi was out of date, causing Clover not to see the APFS partitions anymore once the APFS conversion part of the install completed, but once I extracted and copied over the newest version from the High Sierra installer package, everything was fine and the install went ahead with no issues.

Lastly, there's this over on the developer site regarding NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext:

Just to be clear, it's NOT needed on high sierra and in fact this should be uninstalled on high sierra.

they refactored the 10.13 web driver and it now plays nice nice with libval. no hacks are needed any more. little snitch, ibooks, etc all work good out of box with web driver.

I am not using it and things seem to be working fine so far.

Basically, if the driver installer hadn't left pieces of the old driver laying around for whatever reason, I think I'd have been just fine.

• Like 1

I am running a Gigabyte Z97X board with a GTX 970. Was working perfectly under Sierra with no kexts other than the basics (FakeSMC, USB stuff). 

Lastly, there's this over on the developer site regarding NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext:

I am not using it and things seem to be working fine so far.

Basically, if the driver installer hadn't left pieces of the old driver laying around for whatever reason, I think I'd have been just fine.

Nice, I my self would try another way to figure out what's actually caused QE/CI stops to work by using Web Driver under 17A365, at least this workarround is based on user experience with it's different graphics model; and ofc it could be wrong.. so to be clear; it was just for temporary solution. Anyway, good hack & enjoy  :)

Hello.

After updating the web driver and restarting, a black screen appears.

I installed the latest version of CLOVER on the flash drive and the following kexts:

FakeSMC.kext

NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext

USBInjectAll.kext

XHCI-200-series-injector.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Lilu.kext

after which I try to boot from the flash drive, it all also causes a black screen. Tell me what I'm doing wrong?

=======================

Hardware

MB: MSI Z270 M7

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K

RAM: 16Gb

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080

• Like 1

my problem is a bit different

If I do a Clean instal after installing driver and policy I have a black screen on both monitor but with full signal present

In that condition I would like to understand how to reboot and start osx in VGA mode (like before we did with nv_disable boot arg

however I have this benchmark for now

See the post #305

I had the exact same problem. But it’s fixed. I just use the kext and kernel patches. Nothing else than having to install the NVWebDriverLibValFix kext as mentioned in that post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep, I still needed NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext or else I got a flashing black screen on High Sierra startup.

If, like me, you forgot to install NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext in your L/E directory, I also noticed you can install it in Clover -> kexts -> Other and it will still work as intended. Luckily, I could install it on my Clover USB drive and get High Sierra bootable again, after I had installed the Nvidia web drivers.

Hey everyone. Is the problem with iBooks/instruments still exist with Nvidia web drivers?

No problem for me with iBooks :)

Finally GTX 1080Ti working correctly on 10.13.0 Fresh USB install

Here's what I did:

1. Installed latest version of Clover v4220

2. NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext should be in /Library/Extensions (Install using kext beast)

3. Lilu.kext & NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in Clover/kexts/Other/

4. apfs.efi & OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi & EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in Clover/drivers64UEFI/

5. NvidiaWeb selected under Clover Configurator -> System Parameters

6. Used Clover Configurator to have iMac18,3 SMBIOS

7. CSRActiveConfig was 0x67

8. Installed Nvidia Web Driver and ignored the error.

Reboot to success

What Does not work

1. 4K @ 60Hz over HDMI 2

This seems to be Nvidia's Incompetence. But they will pass on the blame to Apple.

I did not use AGDPfix. 

I have attached the required files below.

Thanks!!

Worked fine for me!

post-1373167-0-45881600-1506543376_thumb.png

post-1373167-0-20089700-1506543403_thumb.png

post-1373167-0-81732500-1506543761_thumb.png

post-1373167-0-36189100-1506543771_thumb.png

I have terminated all my daily like..tomorrow remember me :-)))))

It is working I don't know the reason but it is working

I add a step to yours:

sudo spctl --master-disable

but I don't know if it is useful or not

Thank you again

You are most welcome ;) I'm glad that it's is resolved :)

I tried that step as well the first time that I got it to work and on my latest setup I skipped disabling the spctl and it was working regardless of the gatekeeper's status, but hey as long as it works out it's great  :D

hi, i have a evga gtx560 wich didnt have any problem with 10.12 or 10.11, but i have artifacts with high sierra. 

Most of the times the artifacts come when i put a video from youtube on fullscreen and exit fullscreen.

If i put the machine to sleep or change resolution, artifacts are completely gone for a few minutes. 

tried official drivers and also nvidia webdriver which came out yesterday, have no problems with additional kexts like nvwebdriverlibvalfix.kext or nvidiagraphicsfixup and agdpfix, no black screens at boot, i can confirm that webdriver is working, but the artifacts are the same with those drivers or the official ones.

Also played around with applegraphicspowermanagement.kext but nothing changes.

Im out of ideas, any help please? 

thanks in advance!!

post-365418-0-97176900-1506545164_thumb.png

post-365418-0-80592300-1506545230_thumb.png

Just delete the nvidiagraphicfixup it work for me only with libvalfix kext on high sierra. But it may be strange on sierra only work with nvidiagraphicfixup... on my 1060 gtx

Hello.

After updating the web driver and restarting, a black screen appears.

I installed the latest version of CLOVER on the flash drive and the following kexts:

FakeSMC.kext

NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext

USBInjectAll.kext

XHCI-200-series-injector.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Lilu.kext

after which I try to boot from the flash drive, it all also causes a black screen. Tell me what I'm doing wrong?

=======================

Hardware

MB: MSI Z270 M7

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K

RAM: 16Gb

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080

-)

is it possible to use this app also on not boot volume I have two ssd with one high sierra from clean installation and another with High sierra (upgraded from 10.12.6)

If I boot with "dirty" HighSierra could I use your app to clean/rebuild other ssd?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/790-nvram-and-kext-cache-cleanup-and-rebuilding-prelinkedkernel-tool/

Thank you!

Unfortunately the app only works if you run it whitin the macOS that is loaded you cannot use it for another OS's which is installed on other disks, but there is a way to reset the kext cache on other disks, see this post all the paths that the app will reset are described in this post.

Sweet, WebDriver 378.10.10.15.114 also works well under macOS 10.13.1 Beta (17B25c)

...but yeah, the path for NVDAStartupWeb.kext now located on LE instead of (was) SLE.  :P Enjoy!

<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>17B25c</string>

YSyRFTW.png

#EDIT: I just realize that on 10.13.1 Beta got no black screen or QE/CI issue with WebDriver, even w/o NVWebDriverLibValFix (I mean, on my graphics).. just a little bit different that loaded NVDAStartupWeb doesn't appear on kextstat log, but I think it' s normal as (sometimes) also happened on 10.11.6 as well.

di5zUKV.png

I used the wrong way to install web driver yesterday,

and now I get a black screen with cursor with web driver enabled,

ioconsolusers: gioscreenlockstate 3 loop with web driver disabled.

is there anyway I can revert this?

How about using nv_disable=1 boot-arg? Or if it failed, boot with Single user mode and rm NVD* && Ge* from /Library/Extensions of ur 10.13 volume..

ok got it working  :lol: 

I had to put NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext on clover kext/others and used sudo touch /Library/Extensions/ /System/Library/Extensions/ after install drivers(booted with SIP activated for the Nvidia drivers install) gatekeeper asked me for permission and done.
My problem now is I can't use 10bits color, if I change it to 10bits with SwitchResX it goes black screen.
Any work around?

i disabled NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext after and it still works.

How about using nv_disable=1 boot-arg? Or if it failed, boot with Single user mode and rm NVD* && Ge* from /Library/Extensions of ur 10.13 volume..

Ok thanks for the reply, rm NVD* && Ge* from /Library/Extensions successfully got me into my system.

However, after using NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext and ADGPFix to install the driver, I still get black screen

Just delete the nvidiagraphicfixup it work for me only with libvalfix kext on high sierra. But it may be strange on sierra only work with nvidiagraphicfixup... on my 1060 gtx

I deleted nvidiagraphicfixup, but it did not work.

Yep, I still needed NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext or else I got a flashing black screen on High Sierra startup.

If, like me, you forgot to install NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext in your L/E directory, I also noticed you can install it in Clover -> kexts -> Other and it will still work as intended. Luckily, I could install it on my Clover USB drive and get High Sierra bootable again, after I had installed the Nvidia web drivers.

You can upload your CLOVER folder on the USB device?

Ok guys,

To summarize what I've find out so far:

I can confirm that the NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext in combination with the famous "com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy" kext patch does the trick on activating the nVidia Web Driver.

so no need to use the AGDPfix.app because the kext patch in config.plist will suffice.

Here is the patch if anyone is interested (Under the Kernel and Kext Patches):

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Find: ba050000 00
Replace: ba000000 00
Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696

Having the NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext is mandatory along with the EmuVariableUEFI.efi. I installed the NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext in /Library/Extensions and fixed the permissions afterwards.

Sleep works Ok, I have sound after sleep (Using the CodecCommander in /System/Library/Extensions)  :)

I'm using iMac17,1 SMBIOS on my SkyLake machine. APFS on Seagate SATA 7200 RPM 500 GB HDD (For now)

Good luck to you all.

Is that patch via Xcode or Clover Configurator?

• Like 1

Is that patch via Xcode or Clover Configurator?

This patch goes in the config.plist under the kernel and kext patches.

Edit: with clover configurator

I just opened my eyes and had my morning coffee so I'm still waking up :D

This patch is only for changing the config map of the AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy.kext

Quick Question:

Guys how hot is your GPU when idle? mine sit on 63 degrees Celsius and reaches up to 75 under load. I know that my GPU fans are spinning at their minimum speed.