Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, blache said:

Nvidia last update ...223 after upgrading last Apple security update #2, still black screen With gtx 970 on mac pro early 2009 using a ssd....       Any solution? It seems i will have to revert to 10.13.3

Where is the Black Screen happening???

IF it is happening during Bootup, AND your Video Card IS NOT Mac Flashed - this is NORMAL BEHAVIOR!  You will ONLY get video upon reaching your Login, (IF you have a Password assigned to your User Account), OR - upon directly reaching the Desktop.

ONLY Mac Flashed Cards will give you a Boot Screen.  This has been true since Sierra.  IF your Card WAS originally Flashed, I suspect something wicked has happened to corrupt the Mac EFI Flashing of the Card.  You MAY need to have the Card Flashed again, OR, purchase a replacement from MacVidCards.

[EDIT:]  Also, IF you have more than one Card in the System, and ONLY your Primary Card is Mac Flashed, your video connection to the Monitor MUST come ONLY from the Primary Mac Flashed Video Card.  For, again, ONLY Mac Flashed Cards WILL give you the Apple Boot Screen.

Edited by TimeLord04
More Information.

Nvidia last update ...223 after upgrading last Apple security update #2, still black screen With gtx 970 on mac pro early 2009 using a ssd....       Any solution? It seems i will have to revert to 10.13.3
Try my advice to install older Nvidia web driver 378.10.10.10.25.106
Anyway, i have same problem like you with my 960

Trimis de pe al meu Pixel folosind Tapatalk

Hello, it used to be like your description: IF it is happening during Bootup, AND your Video Card IS NOT Mac Flashed - this is NORMAL BEHAVIOR!  You will ONLY get video upon reaching your Login, (IF you have a Password assigned to your User Account), OR - upon directly reaching the Desktop.

I was accustomed to that behaviour but now both my monitors stay black. My card is not flashed, but as i said it was working pretty much flawlessly up to 13.3, th 13.6 is bad, for me anyways.

Thx

On 3/28/2019 at 1:04 PM, blache said:

Apple did something really sketchy this update. My Mac Pro showed the Security Update 2019-002 yesterday and I installed it. Everything was fine but it reverted to the Default MacOS Drivers and I had to download updated web drivers. I have a boot screen capable card in mine that is also compatible with the default drivers, so I didn't get the black screen, just the warning that new nVidia drivers were available.

Now the sketchy part: Today, it offered the SAME update again, but after updating, newer nVidia drivers were not available.

They clearly did a reissue of the update because before the update my OS was at: 17G6029 and after the repeated update it is at 17G6030.

I imagine in a few days, there will be updated drivers available again.

My best advice for anyone that doesn't have a OS supported GPU: Make sure you have a way to remote into your machine over the network... you can then use Screen Share or Apple Remote Desktop to get in on another mac, or VNC on a PC.

Edited by woof woof

Anyone else having problems after High Sierra 10.13.6, Security Update 2019-002?

I was on Security update 001 and web driver .118 without problems.

The update installed for me, and then reinstalled itself, which seemed strange. And now I'm on OSX build (17G6030). The latest nvidia driver is .123 and only claims compatibility for (17G6029). So it refused to install.

I force installed .123 (via Benjamin Dobell's bash command), and the web driver is active. But its not seeing my cards anymore. Anyone running into anything similar?

Hey everyone, I'm trying to install the latest version of this web driver but an error pops up and I get "Mac OS X version is not compatible Mac OS X version 10.13.6 (17G6030) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information." Here's the info for my MacBook pro "macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 (17G6030) MacBook Pro (13-Inch, Early 2011) Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5.  Is my hardware out of date.? or is there something I could do.? Appreciate the help in advance. 

Edited by Oscar760

Just now, blase said:

Ha, typed basically the same message, at exactly the same time. I'm just going to wait it out, but good to know I'm not the only one.

You know you are on the bleeding edge of an update when you google for "17G6030" and nothing Apple related showed up.

3 minutes ago, blase said:

Ha, typed basically the same message, at exactly the same time. I'm just going to wait it out, but good to know I'm not the only one.

So there's nothing I can do except buy a whole new mac. Sorry I'm not extremely tech savvy

10 minutes ago, Oscar760 said:

So there's nothing I can do except buy a whole new mac. Sorry I'm not extremely tech savvy

If you have a Mac with a video card that is not supported by the OS and relies on the nVidia web driver, you should also keep a video card lying around that is supported by the OS so you can put it back into the machine so you can at least use the machine until a new web driver comes out.

Since you can see the screen, then you can at least use your computer until updated web drivers come out.

Edited by woof woof

@ALL:

Guys,

IF you are on 17G6030  <<---  THIS IS BETA!!!

Revert with Time Machine back to your 17G6029 Update!

Somehow, you guys have your Systems setup to accept the Beta OS offerings!  I don't know where this selection is, BUT, someone with more knowledge may be able to guide you to turning OFF that acceptance.

NVIDIA Drivers are NOT Supported in the Beta OSes!

[EDIT:]

Scratch the above!!!

App Store is TRYING to PUSH this 17G6030 to me, NOW!

Looks like Apple is fixing the "fix"!!!!  :-O  So, NOW, we all have to wait for Newer NVIDIA Web Drivers for 17G6030.  :-( 

Edited by TimeLord04

9 hours ago, blache said:

Hello, it used to be like your description: IF it is happening during Bootup, AND your Video Card IS NOT Mac Flashed - this is NORMAL BEHAVIOR!  You will ONLY get video upon reaching your Login, (IF you have a Password assigned to your User Account), OR - upon directly reaching the Desktop.

I was accustomed to that behaviour but now both my monitors stay black. My card is not flashed, but as i said it was working pretty much flawlessly up to 13.3, th 13.6 is bad, for me anyways.

Thx

@blache

OK - With that detail, I'd pull the card and have it tested by your local PC Tech Shop.  (Whoever that is that you trust.)  It sounds, to me, like your card has a BAD Video Pipeline!  I had this happen with an older, (and used), EVGA GTX-750TI SC 2GB GDDR5 VRAM Card.  It started out with BAD Pixelations on the screen if I had turned the Monitor OFF, left it that way for a few hours and then came back and turned the Monitor back ON.  Things  got WORSE for me from there with that Card.  Fortunately, the System I had it in had a Secondary 750TI SC.  I chose to SWITCH Positions of the Cards in the System.  For my Number Crunching in BOINC for SETI@Home, the Bad Video Pipeline DID NOT seem to matter, Number Crunching was done OFF the Video Pipeline, and was therefore Unaffected.

For you, this is a WHOLE DIFFERENT game...  I think the Card may be failing.  Get it checked out.  There's NO reason for permanent Black Screens on all monitors connected to the one Card.  This DOES NOT sound like a MacOS NOR an NVIDIA Driver issue.

My Mac Pro currently has a Mac Flashed GTX-970 and is NOT having the issues that you are having.  All is running smooth.

Good luck.

[mention=2488677]blache[/mention]

OK - With that detail, I'd pull the card and have it tested by your local PC Tech Shop.  (Whoever that is that you trust.)  It sounds, to me, like your card has a BAD Video Pipeline!  I had this happen with an older, (and used), EVGA GTX-750TI SC 2GB GDDR5 VRAM Card.  It started out with BAD Pixelations on the screen if I had turned the Monitor OFF, left it that way for a few hours and then came back and turned the Monitor back ON.  Things  got WORSE for me from there with that Card.  Fortunately, the System I had it in had a Secondary 750TI SC.  I chose to SWITCH Positions of the Cards in the System.  For my Number Crunching in BOINC for SETI@Home, the Bad Video Pipeline DID NOT seem to matter, Number Crunching was done OFF the Video Pipeline, and was therefore Unaffected.

For you, this is a WHOLE DIFFERENT game...  I think the Card may be failing.  Get it checked out.  There's NO reason for permanent Black Screens on all monitors connected to the one Card.  This DOES NOT sound like a MacOS NOR an NVIDIA Driver issue.

My Mac Pro currently has a Mac Flashed GTX-970 and is NOT having the issues that you are having.  All is running smooth.

Good luck.
EVGA

• Confused 1

On 3/27/2019 at 9:04 PM, TimeLord04 said:

I'm only up right now due to insomnia...  (3:05 AM - Pacific...)  I'll Update MacOS to (17G6029) on both the Mac Pro and the Hackintosh later today.  Then Update the Web Driver on each System as well.

[Update:]  6:36 AM - Pacific:  The Hackintosh is Updated and now on 17G6029 with NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.123.  No issues in Updating.  Will get the Mac Pro 5,1 done later.  [EDIT:]  8:31 AM - Pacific:  Number Crunching via BOINC is running smooth...  No issues to report.

[Update 2:]  8:31 AM - Pacific:  The Mac Pro is Updated and now on 17G6029 with NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.123  No issues in Updating.

Where can we get the previous 17G6029 (2019-002) update file?

The current one on apple site (2019-002 security update) and mac store is updating to 17G6030

and therefore not compatible with the current nvidia driver  NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.123

I still got the official 2019-001 update, but would like to get the 17G6029 (2019-002) update file.

I updated to 2019-002 but thought it was 17G6029, 
But I got 17G6030 instead and now no nvidia web drivers can be installed.

So is the only thing we can is to wait for nvidia to release a new driver (which could take any unknown time)?

Also is time machine backup the only way to undo an update?

Edited by madamax2

5 minutes ago, madamax2 said:

Where can we get the 17G6029 (2019-002) update file?

The current one on apple site (2019-002 security update) is updating to 17G6030

and therefore not compatible with the current nvidia driver  NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.123

17G6029 was originally released on March 25th according to Apple's Site.  NVIDIA Drivers did NOT release until the 27th.  Hence I Updated on the 27th to 17G6029.  This Update is NO LONGER available via App Store.  This is due to the NEW 2019-002 Release of 17G6030.

IF you have Time Machine running, you CAN revert to your 17G6029 - 2019-002 Security Update using Time Machine.  Otherwise, you WILL need to wait for New NVIDIA Drivers to release for 17G6030.

Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.123 is ONLY for 17G6029.

2 hours ago, MICKHAEL said:

EVGA emoji1787.png

AND, what's specifically wrong with EVGA???!!!???

I personally SWEAR BY them!  All their Cards have worked FLAWLESSLY when I've purchased them NEW in box.  The ONLY Card from them I had issues with was USED in the 750TI SC that I mentioned.

AND, MacVidCards SEEMS to use A LOT of EVGA in their Mac Flashed Lineup - WHEN they can.

18 minutes ago, TimeLord04 said:

17G6029 was originally released on March 25th according to Apple's Site.  NVIDIA Drivers did NOT release until the 27th.  Hence I Updated on the 27th to 17G6029.  This Update is NO LONGER available via App Store.  This is due to the NEW 2019-002 Release of 17G6030.

IF you have Time Machine running, you CAN revert to your 17G6029 - 2019-002 Security Update using Time Machine.  Otherwise, you WILL need to wait for New NVIDIA Drivers to release for 17G6030.

Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.123 is ONLY for 17G6029.

No,  I don't have the 17G6029 - 2019-002 update file or a time machine backup of it

that is why I was asking if anyone happen to have a copy of that update that they kept for archive purpose after downloading it via the apple store website or from the mac store.

Prior to updating 2019-002, I checked to made sure there was a compatible nvidia driver

Since there was for 17G6029, I assume this was what we would get for 2019-002, but it turns out apple did a swifty trick on us

and name the update the same 2019-002 security but with the newer 17G6030..

For many of us that didn't know, we are now stuck with a glitch os due to not having the nvidia driver.
My current gpu is a 1080 BTW, so it needs the nvidia driver.

I suggest we you have respository of all apple update files

so in the future if this occurs again, ppl can still at least get the correct update file.
Is that possible to create on this site or you know of any sites that has it etc?
I know there is a few sites for IOS update files, but non for mac OS update files.

How long does nvidia usually release their alternative drivers for each update?

BTW these alternative nvidia web drivers are just mainly for cards (e.g. pascal cards - 1080 etc) not officially supported by Apple?
But if we have another older card that does work out of the box e.g. gtx 760, then we don't need it?

Also with mojave, why is there no nvidia web drivers released

but AMD does have the drivers for it?

And again in regards to mojave, if I got a spare gtx 760, that would work out of the box without needing a nvidia driver?

Is there a way to check what version an update file (dmg file) will install?
I like checked to avoid this problem in the future

Edited by madamax2

17 minutes ago, madamax2 said:

No,  I don't have the 17G6029 - 2019-002 update file or a time machine backup of it

that is why I was asking if anyone happen to have a copy of that update that they kept for archive purpose after downloading it via the apple store website or from the mac store.

Prior to updating 2019-002, I checked to made sure there was a compatible nvidia driver

Since there was for 17G6029, I assume this was what we would get for 2019-002, but it turns out apple did a swifty trick on us

and name the update the same 2019-002 security but with the newer 17G6030..

For many of us that didn't know, we are now stuck with a glitch os due to not having the nvidia driver.
My current gpu is a 1080 BTW, so it needs the nvidia driver.

I suggest we you have respository of all apple update files

so in the future if this occurs again, ppl can still at least get the correct update file.
Is that possible to create on this site or somewhere etc?

How long does nvidia usually release their alternative drivers for each update?

BTW these alternative nvidia web drivers are just mainly for cards (e.g. pascal cards - 1080 etc) not officially supported by Apple?
But if we have another older card that does work out of the box e.g. gtx 760, then we don't need it?

Also with mojave, why is there no nvidia web drivers released

but AMD does have the drivers for it?

And again in regards to mojave, if I got a spare gtx 760, that would work out of the box without needing a nvidia driver?

A GTX-760 is a Native Card, and in "Theory" needs NO Web Drivers.  There's a CAVEAT; however...

IF you use CUDA Drivers for CUDA Specific Tasks; EVEN THOUGH the GTX-760 is Native, you WILL need to install the proper Web Driver for the 760 in order to use CUDA.  This also goes for ANY OTHER Native Card where one wishes to use CUDA.

So, yes, IF you DON'T use CUDA, you MAY try to use your GTX-760 Kepler Card in Mojave.  IF; however, you EVER wish to use the separate CUDA Driver with the 760, (or any other Kepler Card), you, (again), WILL need Web Drivers.  (As we all know, NO Mojave Web Drivers exist, yet.)

As to InsanelyMac keeping copies of prior Apple Security Release Patches...  That's up to the Creators/Supervisors/Forum Leaders of InsanelyMac to decide on.  I DON'T think this is viable for them to do.

It is recommended that one routinely backs up their System on a regular basis.  I bought a Western Digital Black 2TB Drive for each of my Mac Systems.  The WD Drive is Partitioned equally into two Partitions, (1TB Each), one for Time Machine, and one for Blizzard Games.  My Time Machine backs up every Hour the machines are on.  When the Time Machine Partition completely fills up, Time Machine will start Overwriting the Oldest Data Set with New Time Machine Backups.  (I find this process FAR superior to Winblows - ... I mean Windows.)

As to WHY Apple decided to keep the Security Update 2019-002 Title for 17G6030 is unknown to me.  I would have named it Security Update 2019-003...  My guess is there was some SCREW UP with 17G6029, and they needed to fix the issue quickly...  (Just my guess.)  This, however, means that once again we ALL need to wait for NVIDIA to catch up and release New Drivers for 17G6030.

[EDIT:]  NVIDIA tries to release New Drivers within 24 - 48 Business Hours after a Security Patch by Apple, or Full Release by Apple.  I have seen them take 72 Hours, rarely.

Edited by TimeLord04
Update to when NVIDIA releases new Drivers.

I installed successfully the latest High Sierra security update 2019-002 and 123 NVidia webdriver following hints from a link to tonymac, which I could post here if it would be allowed. The installation of the security is very tricky.
If there comes a message that 123 webdriver isn't compatible, this means, that the suitable security update 2019-002 isn't installed yet.

Edited by helmi100

1 hour ago, helmi100 said:

I installed successfully the latest High Sierra security update 2019-002 and 123 NVidia webdriver following hints from a link to tonymac, which I could post here if it would be allowed. The installation of the security is very tricky.
If there comes a message that 123 webdriver isn't compatible, this means, that the suitable security update 2019-002 isn't installed yet.

i don't know what is allowed or not

but can you pm me plz

so you are on 17G6030 with working nvidia web drivers?

22 hours ago, madamax2 said:

i don't know what is allowed or not

but can you pm me plz

so you are on 17G6030 with working nvidia web drivers?

Yes, this is the case. I've pm you with the link

2 hours ago, MICKHAEL said:

Well here's a funny thing for the person citing to use Google....  the latest NVIDIA drivers (build ending .123) don't install on 17G6030 - it returns a 'Mac OS X version is not compatible' error when you try to install. 

If you had bothered to read the thread properly you would have realised that. But you were too keen trying to look smart & telling us about Google....

Edited by Jrhartley
Typography

Well here's a funny thing for the person citing to use Google....  the latest NVIDIA drivers (build ending .123) don't install on 17G6030 - it returns a 'Mac OS X version is not compatible' error when you try to install. 

If you had bothered to read the thread properly you would have realised that. But you were too keen trying to look smart & telling us about Google....

Also Google BTW may help to install))

I just thought that he are unable to find original driver

relax