Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Dorumin said:

Running 10.13.6 (17G4015) on a 2009 Mac Pro 5,1 with security update 3

Trying to install web drivers for a GTX 970, the most recent web drivers and every time I get stuck in a boot loop and have to reset the PRAM to get back to the desktop. Any advice?

System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G4015)

Kernel Version: Darwin 17.7.0

Boot Volume: HD

Boot Mode: Normal

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

System Integrity Protection: Enabled

Time since boot: 14 minutes

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 12

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB

Memory: 128 GB

Boot ROM Version: MP51.0089.B00

• 2 weeks later...

1-12-2019

Well, I bit the bullet and signed up on NVIDIA's Site and Submitted this Bug Report:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----> Bug Report Submitted: <----

Thank you for reporting a new issue. The bug ID is: 2484445
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bug Summary:
RE: MacOS NVIDIA Web Driver Issues.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Description:
Things that need to be addressed in MacOS NVIDIA Web Driver:

1.) In Sierra and High Sierra, the Web Driver REVERSES how MacOS sees the physical PCI-e Slot Locations.

PCI-e Slot 1 is seen by MacOS as PCI-e Slot 2, AND PCI-e Slot 2 is seen as PCI-e Slot 1.
Now, on cMP Systems, (4,1's Flashed to be seen as 5,1's and "Real" 5,1's), I'm NOT entirely sure if this is still true; BUT, this is prevalent in Hackintosh Systems! So, the "cure" is to switch physical locations of Primary and Secondary GPUs in the System. Further, in Hackintoshes, this also means going into the BIOS and changing PCI-e Video Boot Slot Order to PCI-e Slot 2.

2.) In regards to #1, IF cards are NOT physically switched, this has the effect of STRIPPING OpenCL and OpenGL from, (what should be), the Primary GPU!

I witnessed this myself on a MacVidCards' NVIDIA GTX-1070 8GB Card where BOINC, (Berkeley Open Infrastructure Network(ed) Computing), App clearly shows in MacOS Sierra and High Sierra that OpenCL is MISSING from the GPU!

Further, in Blizzard's Battle.net App, when Launching a game, (let's say StarCraft:Remastered), Battle.net App responds with an IMMEDIATE Popup stating "Missing OpenGL", AND "Install/Reinstall Web Driver"!

Once GPUs have been switched so that, (in my case the GTX-1070 8GB), the Primary GPU is in physical location PCI-e Slot 2, (and the BIOS has been properly modified for this), BOINC now shows that the Primary GPU HAS OpenCL and Battle.net NO LONGER gives the Popups and INSTEAD allows StarCraft:Remastered to Launch and Play.

HOWEVER; NOW, the Secondary and Tertiary GPUs, (if ANY in the System), NOW ARE STRIPPED of OpenCL and OpenGL - in my case, my Secondary EVGA GTX-1050 2GB Card.

3.) In addition to all of the above, with CUDA Driver 410.130 Installed in High Sierra, IF a System ONLY has NVIDIA Cards in the System, (in my case, my Hackintosh noted above), when performing Number Crunching Operations of CUDA Type in BOINC the attached Monitor to the Primary GPU MUST be turned OFF! IF NOT, this results in MASSIVE Crunching Errors of "Best Pulse = 0" Errors!

On a cMP with MIXED GPUs, (One NVIDIA Card and One ATI Card), and the monitor is attached to the ATI/Non-NVIDIA Card - the monitor MUST be ON to properly and successfully perform CUDA Number Crunching Operations of CUDA Type! IF NOT, MASSIVE Crunching Errors of "Best Pulse = 0" Errors occur.

SEE: Conflict with MacOS 10.12 and 10.13 Web Drivers and SETI@Home Number Crunching.

THESE ISSUES MUST be addressed and properly resolved BEFORE releasing MacOS NVIDIA Web Drivers for MacOS Mojave!

With the above in mind, I hope that SOON Mojave NVIDIA Drivers are released. I have signed the Petition.
---------------------------
This bug submission and its status can be viewed or updated here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia_bug/2484445

Thank you,
Developer Relations Team

----> Bug Status: Open. <----

----------------  End of Bug Report  ------------------

I even had minor issues in the El Capitan Web Driver when performing Number Crunching Tasks after Upgrading from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4.  However; things have gotten MUCH WORSE in Sierra and High Sierra.

I hope that NVIDIA takes this seriously and fixes this for all of us BEFORE releasing MacOS Mojave Drivers!

TL

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ReddestDream said:

New (387.10.10.40.118) driver is out for 10.13.6 (17G5019):

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.118.pkg

Thank you for that.  I now can Update both my Systems tomorrow morning.  :)

Edited by TimeLord04

Anyone have a GTX 980 that won't do dual display at bootup with the last upteenth versions of the Nvidia web drivers? Any workaround other than using old web drivers? Right now I can connect the second after startup and all is well. 2x 2K displays via DP (also tried DVI).

I'm using the latest version of Lilu and WEG. I've also tried injecting GPU information via SSDT (I need at least an SSDT since I have system definition MacPro6,1)

Edited by maleorderbride

Mac Pro and Hackintosh, (both in Signature), Updated to 2019-001 - (17G5019), and NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.118.  No issues so far.  CUDA Crunching on BOINC without issues.  (SETI@Home Project.)  :)

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 4:26 AM, TimeLord04 said:

Mac Pro and Hackintosh, (both in Signature), Updated to 2019-001 - (17G5019), and NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.118.  No issues so far.  CUDA Crunching on BOINC without issues.  (SETI@Home Project.)  :)

I assume that OpenGL and OpenCL are all good on both of your cards?

My triple cards rig does not have proper OpenGL with any of the drivers released after 378.10.10.10.25.10x so far. If NV managed to fix the problem I will update my driver.

Thanks.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:49 AM, N01r said:

I assume that OpenGL and OpenCL are all good on both of your cards?

My triple cards rig does not have proper OpenGL with any of the drivers released after 378.10.10.10.25.10x so far. If NV managed to fix the problem I will update my driver.

Thanks.

I don't know if I've Posted here about this, BUT, the NVIDIA Web Driver, (even going back to El Capitan), has MANY issues!  First, it confuses the Slot Order of the GPUs installed, (if they are both NVIDIA Cards), ie:  the Card in Physical PCI-e Slot One is seen by the Driver as Slot 2 and the Card that is in Physical Slot 2 is seen as being Slot 1 by the Driver.

This Slot Reversal has the negative effect of rendering the Primary GPU WITHOUT OpenCL and OpenGL Support!  I discovered this on my Hackintosh, BUT, also had issues yesterday in adding a newly purchased Mac GTX-970 for my Mac Pro 5,1...  For my 5,1 I had to move the GTX-970 into Physical Slot 3, (as both my GPUs are Double Wide Cards), and the GTX-1050 into Slot 1.  This resolved the Driver issue and got the GTX-970 4GB Card the necessary and required OpenCL and OpenGL Support.

After switching the Cards' Locations and getting High Sierra and the Web Driver situated, I then had to boot into my Sierra Drive, (10.12.1 16G2657), and install the right Web Driver there so that I can use the 970 Card with the ADOBE CS-6 Suite that's installed in Sierra.  THEN, I had to go into BootCamp/Win 7 Pro SP-1 x64 and Reinstall NVIDIA Driver 388.13 so that Windows sees BOTH the 970 and the 1050.  (High Sierra sees both Cards...  ONLY Sierra does NOT see the 1050 as Pascal Support wasn't there until 10.12.4.)

So, bottom line, IF you have two NVIDIA Cards in your System, pull them and reverse their Slot Order...  Also, for Hackintosh, in placing your Primary Card into the Middle PCI-e Slot, do this all by itself and go into your BIOS and Update the Video PCI-e Slot Order to PCI-e Slot 2.  THEN you can reinstall your secondary GPU into PCI-e Slot 1.  From there, the Web Driver will THEN be able to assign OpenCL and OpenGL to the NOW Primary GPU in Physical PCI-e Slot 2.

Thank my friend TBar at SETI@Home for this wisdom and pearl of knowledge!

TL

[EDIT:]

Just realized that I did Post about this a couple Posts up...  Sorry for the repeat...

[EDIT 2:]

Also note that once your Primary GPU is given OpenCL and OpenGL Support from the Web Driver, your Secondary and Tertiary GPUs will be stripped of OpenCL and OpenGL by the Web Driver. (UNLESS you have a mixed GPU Setup of one ATI Card and one NVIDIA Card. Then both GPUs WILL have OpenCL and OpenGL as the ATI Card is handled by the OS.)  It seems, (at least on both of my computers), that this is the case.  ONLY ONE GPU is given full acceleration, and OpenCL and OpenGL Support by the NVIDIA Web Driver.  THIS IS A HUGE FLAW!

Edited by TimeLord04
Post Clarification.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2019 at 4:49 AM, TimeLord04 said:

I don't know if I've Posted here about this, BUT, the NVIDIA Web Driver, (even going back to El Capitan), has MANY issues!  First, it confuses the Slot Order of the GPUs installed, (if they are both NVIDIA Cards), ie:  the Card in Physical PCI-e Slot One is seen by the Driver as Slot 2 and the Card that is in Physical Slot 2 is seen as being Slot 1 by the Driver.

This Slot Reversal has the negative effect of rendering the Primary GPU WITHOUT OpenCL and OpenGL Support!  I discovered this on my Hackintosh, BUT, also had issues yesterday in adding a newly purchased Mac GTX-970 for my Mac Pro 5,1...  For my 5,1 I had to move the GTX-970 into Physical Slot 3, (as both my GPUs are Double Wide Cards), and the GTX-1050 into Slot 1.  This resolved the Driver issue and got the GTX-970 4GB Card the necessary and required OpenCL and OpenGL Support.

After switching the Cards' Locations and getting High Sierra and the Web Driver situated, I then had to boot into my Sierra Drive, (10.12.1 16G2657), and install the right Web Driver there so that I can use the 970 Card with the ADOBE CS-6 Suite that's installed in Sierra.  THEN, I had to go into BootCamp/Win 7 Pro SP-1 x64 and Reinstall NVIDIA Driver 388.13 so that Windows sees BOTH the 970 and the 1050.  (High Sierra sees both Cards...  ONLY Sierra does NOT see the 1050 as Pascal Support wasn't there until 10.12.4.)

So, bottom line, IF you have two NVIDIA Cards in your System, pull them and reverse their Slot Order...  Also, for Hackintosh, in placing your Primary Card into the Middle PCI-e Slot, do this all by itself and go into your BIOS and Update the Video PCI-e Slot Order to PCI-e Slot 2.  THEN you can reinstall your secondary GPU into PCI-e Slot 1.  From there, the Web Driver will THEN be able to assign OpenCL and OpenGL to the NOW Primary GPU in Physical PCI-e Slot 2.

Thank my friend TBar at SETI@Home for this wisdom and pearl of knowledge!

TL

[EDIT:]

Just realized that I did Post about this a couple Posts up...  Sorry for the repeat...

[EDIT 2:]

Also note that once your Primary GPU is given OpenCL and OpenGL Support from the Web Driver, your Secondary and Tertiary GPUs will be stripped of OpenCL and OpenGL by the Web Driver. (UNLESS you have a mixed GPU Setup of one ATI Card and one NVIDIA Card. Then both GPUs WILL have OpenCL and OpenGL as the ATI Card is handled by the OS.)  It seems, (at least on both of my computers), that this is the case.  ONLY ONE GPU is given full acceleration, and OpenCL and OpenGL Support by the NVIDIA Web Driver.  THIS IS A HUGE FLAW!

Thanks a lot.

I've tried to use 387 drivers for 4 months without success, call me a fool but I finally found a way.

10.13.6 / 1080ti + 1080ti + 1080 / 7980XE here. 378 drivers gave me frequent KP's and I finally decided to upgrade to 387 drivers.

I installed 387.10.10.15.15.108 - the one pulled down from NV's website, thinking it could make a difference. After reboot it was the same problem as usual. All applications which depends on GPU acc were broken, chrome, spotify, even VS Code.

BUT, Octane Render was all good. 3 GPUs recognized and rendered normally.

This, and what you said about the PCI orders, gave me a new idea. I connected my DP cable to my 3rd GPU - NV 1080 without ti. And all app including chrome, spotify etc. are good now. Octane runs normally as usual. It seems that macOS will only support the first GPU for all apps' acceleration, AND YOU NEED TO CONNECT YOUR MONITOR TO THAT ONE IN SYSTEM to make it work - and due to the reversed order it is the LAST GPU on your hackintosh now actually, or apps will not render properly.

Anyone still on 378 driver with multiple GPUs, you can give it a try:

1) Install 387 drivers normally

2) Connect DP cable to your LAST GPU

3) Test if Chrome and other apps work properly

With latest Lilu and Whatevergreen everything is so smooth now!

Now waiting for the Mojave webdriver....

Edited by N01r
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Replying verbosely to this for posterity, and searchability.

SOLVED -  Multi-gpu Nvidia problems in OSX High Sierra; (Tearing, garble, broken OpenCL OpenGL) Happens with all version of web driver and even apple driver, under any version of 10.13.

Solution was to plug monitors into LAST Nvidia card, rather than first Nvidia card.

In retrospect, this unexpected solution makes sense. This popped up as Apple (and consequently NVIDIA) attempt to account for eGPU's.  From Apple's POV, the eGPU becomes the main point of display output. Thus the primary card. In my case, I have additional dual GPU's connected to my MacPro 5,1 via a cubix expansion chassis. So it makes sense that I should be wiring it as if it were an eGPU.

Thanks to TimeLord04 for cluing me into PCI slot order. On my end, NV driver (118) actually does poll the PCI slots correctly. But the issue is still that only the primary display has OpenGL. And I simply hadn't understood that Apple now views the external GPU as the primary.

• Like 2

@N01r and @blase

I'm glad I could be of assistance.  I hope this helps others here as they stumble across my Posts in this Thread.

I Updated the Bug Report at NVIDIA to include cMP 5,1 Systems, (as my real Mac is a 5,1), as I had also reported here that this flawed Web Driver issue affects cMP Systems as well as Hackintoshes.  I just hope that someone at NVIDIA takes this all seriously and gets the NVIDIA Developers to address the issue(s).

• Like 1

I actually downgraded from Mojave after figuring out that CUDA isn't supported. So I just did a fresh install of High Sierra, version 10.13.6 (17G66). Apparently there is no web driver compatible with the latest version of High Sierra? This freakin sucks, I spent all this time downgrading for this reason only to find out out it STILL doesn't work?

Anyone know how often web drivers are released, or know of a workaround so that I can get CUDA to work?

22 hours ago, Matt Rittman said:

I actually downgraded from Mojave after figuring out that CUDA isn't supported. So I just did a fresh install of High Sierra, version 10.13.6 (17G66). Apparently there is no web driver compatible with the latest version of High Sierra? This freakin sucks, I spent all this time downgrading for this reason only to find out out it STILL doesn't work?

Anyone know how often web drivers are released, or know of a workaround so that I can get CUDA to work?

I think you are on 17G65, NOT 17G66...  This is "Early" High Sierra.  The latest is 17G5019.  Check for 'Updates' again from App Store, and get back to the Latest High Sierra - 17G5019.  The Latest NVIDIA Web Driver for 17G5019 is 387.10.10.10.40.118.  [EDIT:]  The Latest CUDA Driver is 410.130, and once you are Upgraded from 10.13.0 back to 10.13.6 - 17G5019, with the proper Web Driver then CUDA will work again for you.

Edited by TimeLord04
Added Clarification.

4 hours ago, flowrider said:

Nvidia Web Driver 387.10.10.15.15.108 works will ALL versions of HS.  And, BTW, 17G66 is the last build of HS.

The latest Driver for Cuda is 410.130.

Lou

Thanks, Lou.  I thought maybe he accidentally went back to 10.13.0 - 17G65...  I just checked App Store on my Hackintosh and I'm still getting "No Updates" available...  I'm still on 17G5019.

[EDIT:]  Just got through checking the Mac Pro.  It, too, states "No Updates Available" and is on 17G5019.  So, I called a friend who just Updated his iMac a week ago, and he is only on 17G5019.

When did 17G66 release?

Edited by TimeLord04
Addition and Question added.

Hello, I have GTX 760 which is natively supported. I'm on 17G65 and thinking to update to 17G5019. I never used NV's web drivers. What should I do to make CUDA working?? When I install official CUDA drivers from NV it says that it needs to update, but no updates available. My programs don't recognise any CUDA card installed. Any idea?

On 2/18/2019 at 6:37 PM, flowrider said:

^^^^Cuda is only supported with Nvidia Web Drivers.  AgaIn, Apple Drivers do not support Cuda.

Lou

Is this something new?? Because until Sierra, I only had to install CUDA without any webdriver. And it was fully supported. 

Also, when I go to the Nvidia drivers page it lists all the models which the driver pack supports.. My GTX 760 is not listed there..

^^^^Been that way for as long as I can remember.  The supported page only lists "Mac Edition" cards, not all cards that work in a Mac environment.  My card is a GTX 1080 flashed by MVC.

Lou
Make a dump share with people

9 minutes ago, flowrider said:

^^^^Been that way for as long as I can remember.  The supported page only lists "Mac Edition" cards, not all cards that work in a Mac environment.  My card is a GTX 1080 flashed by MVC.

Lou

Yes, BUT, the GTX-760, (no matter what make of card), is "Native" to MacOS and thus won't be listed as requiring Web Drivers.  The only concern on a Non-Mac-Flashed GTX-760 is the fact that in Sierra and above that the card WON'T display a Boot Screen.

I agree, though, that for CUDA Driver Support that he should install the appropriate NVIDIA Web Driver for the OS.  MacVidCards, (MVC - abbreviated by Lou), charges around $100 for Flashing a Non-Mac Card - AND they still sell that card themselves, used of course.

I updated my system to 17G5019 and I found the appropriate Nvidia web drivers for this version. Installed them, and then installed CUDA and it works well now! Thank you for your information. My graphics card don't need any patch, it was handled natively by OSX out of the box, until 10.13 which now I needed to install web drivers for CUDA to work.