Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

10.13.4 (17E199) with iMac 17,1 SMBIOS.

106 or 105 patched to run worked fine. .30.103  drivers cause graphics crash loop when initializing the displays. the Fix Kext [LILU and Graphics Fixup], manual editing of graphics display kext [to clear out custom display configs], clearing of nvram all don't fix. Have to roll back to the 105 or 106 release for 10.13.2 to get it working.

Still can't get the native Skylake SMBIOS and Nvidia Web drivers to work together with my GTX 1080.

• Like 1

The driver installed ok for myself, but what's acting strange is my Daz Studio a 3d program program from daz3d. Rotating object in 3D space is laggy after the upgrade. The program has an option to display info about my graphic card, once i run it you see that it's using the Apple open G/L driver. Is this just my setup? does the nvidia web drivers no longer include OpenGL drivers? Does this explain the micro stutter? 

With Sierra 10.13.4 web driver 387.10.10.10.30

Current OpenGL Version:    2.1 APPLE-16.5.10
OpenGL Provider:    Apple Inc.
Hardware:    Apple Software Renderer
Features:    
MultiTexturing    Supported
Shadow Map    Supported
Hardware Antialiasing    Supported
OpenGL Shading Language    Supported
Pixel Buffer    Supported
Pixel Buffer Size    Not Enabled
Maximum Number of Lights    8
Number of Texture Units    8
Maximum Texture Size    16384 x 16384

With Sierra 10.13.2 web driver 378.10.10.10.25.103

Current OpenGL Version:    2.1 NVIDIA-10.29.10 378.10.10.10.25.103
OpenGL Provider:    NVIDIA Corporation
Hardware:    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti OpenGL Engine
Features:    
Shadow Map    Supported

Interestingly, I am unable to reproduce the lag on my HP 800 G1 SFF Hackintosh, WindowServer is under 200MB, Nvidia driver is 387.10.10.10.30.103 and SMBIOS is iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2013

Additional Specs

• High Sierra 10.13.4
  • Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4096 MB
  • Intel I5 CPU
  • 16 GB, 1600 DDR3 

7 minutes ago, Donw35 said:

Interestingly, I am unable to reproduce the lag on my HP 800 G1 SFF Hackintosh, WindowServer is under 200MB, Nvidia driver is 387.10.10.10.30.103 and SMBIOS is iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2013

Additional Specs

• High Sierra 10.13.4
  • Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4096 MB
  • Intel I5 CPU
  • 16 GB, 1600 DDR3 

It is well-known that systems with Haswell and earlier CPUs don't seem to suffer from the lag. However, it's not the SMBIOS, CPUID, Nvidia GPU Family (like Pascal/Maxwell vs Kepler), or anything easy to fake that is being checked somewhere. Many tests have proven this . . . :/

It's possible that Nvidia has left out/changed the decoders and something isn't being triggered correctly because newer CPUs have some feature or whatnot. I suspect that we are going to have to figure out what to patch/fix to improve the driver performance on newer CPUs. Doesn't look like Nvidia will be fixing it, not with Nvidia eGPU not being officially supported. :(

I'm probably going to end up picking up an AMD GPU for macOS and Linux and just take the hit on games in Windows once there's an AMD GPU available, maybe some "Vega 128," with power comparable to the 1080ti . . .

Edited by ReddestDream
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, alaman64 said:

The driver installed ok for myself, but what's acting strange is my Daz Studio a 3d program program from daz3d. Rotating object in 3D space is laggy after the upgrade. The program has an option to display info about my graphic card, once i run it you see that it's using the Apple open G/L driver. Is this just my setup? does the nvidia web drivers no longer include OpenGL drivers? Does this explain the micro stutter? 

With Sierra 10.13.4 web driver 387.10.10.10.30

Current OpenGL Version:    2.1 APPLE-16.5.10
OpenGL Provider:    Apple Inc.
Hardware:    Apple Software Renderer
Features:    
Shadow Map    Supported

With Sierra 10.13.2 web driver 378.10.10.10.25.103

Current OpenGL Version:    2.1 NVIDIA-10.29.10 378.10.10.10.25.103
OpenGL Provider:    NVIDIA Corporation
Hardware:    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti OpenGL Engine
Features:    
Shadow Map    Supported

Hello!

I'm using Daz Studio too. I'm on a Mac Pro Mid 2012 6 core. Daz Studio reports my GTX970 correctly after the upgrade to latest high Sierra + latest Nvidia web drivers.

Current OpenGL Version:
2.1 NVIDIA-10.31.25 387.10.10.10.30.103

OpenGL Provider:
NVIDIA Corporation

Hardware:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 OpenGL Engine

As for the last 3 releases, I just have glitches on Safari title bar and on some other system windows, always in the title bar.

Not sure if it's for a setting or not...

Also, for me, CUDA needs an update, but I think Nvidia will release this soon.

On 3/30/2018 at 6:25 PM, cwestpha said:

10.13.4 (17E199) with iMac 17,1 SMBIOS.

106 or 105 patched to run worked fine. .30.103  drivers cause graphics crash loop when initializing the displays. the Fix Kext [LILU and Graphics Fixup], manual editing of graphics display kext [to clear out custom display configs], clearing of nvram all don't fix. Have to roll back to the 105 or 106 release for 10.13.2 to get it working.

Still can't get the native Skylake SMBIOS and Nvidia Web drivers to work together with my GTX 1080.

Same with GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

7 hours ago, RenderWarrior said:

Hello!

I'm using Daz Studio too. I'm on a Mac Pro Mid 2012 6 core. Daz Studio reports my GTX970 correctly after the upgrade to latest high Sierra + latest Nvidia web drivers.

Current OpenGL Version:
2.1 NVIDIA-10.31.25 387.10.10.10.30.103

OpenGL Provider:
NVIDIA Corporation

Hardware:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 OpenGL Engine

As for the last 3 releases, I just have glitches on Safari title bar and on some other system windows, always in the title bar.

Not sure if it's for a setting or not...

Also, for me, CUDA needs an update, but I think Nvidia will release this soon.

Thanks for trying it out and letting me know. So if you're getting the OpenGL driver and i'm not, then it must be something with the new nvidia drivers and my setup that breaking things. Anyway, i patched the 378.10.10.10.25.103 driver and everything works fine now in 10.13.4 with the old driver. I suspect it might be because i have mixed generations of GPU in my system 980ti mixed with Titan Z.

3 hours ago, alaman64 said:

Thanks for trying it out and letting me know. So if you're getting the OpenGL driver and i'm not, then it must be something with the new nvidia drivers and my setup that breaking things. Anyway, i patched the 378.10.10.10.25.103 driver and everything works fine now in 10.13.4 with the old driver. I suspect it might be because i have mixed generations of GPU in my system 980ti mixed with Titan Z.

Unfortunately without CUDA I cannot render in daz studio.... I hope for a fix soon!

8 hours ago, RenderWarrior said:

Unfortunately without CUDA I cannot render in daz studio.... I hope for a fix soon!

read from this not working

Edited by Guest

22 hours ago, ReddestDream said:

It is well-known that systems with Haswell and earlier CPUs don't seem to suffer from the lag. However, it's not the SMBIOS, CPUID, Nvidia GPU Family (like Pascal/Maxwell vs Kepler), or anything easy to fake that is being checked somewhere. Many tests have proven this . . . :/

It's possible that Nvidia has left out/changed the decoders and something isn't being triggered correctly because newer CPUs have some feature or whatnot. I suspect that we are going to have to figure out what to patch/fix to improve the driver performance on newer CPUs. Doesn't look like Nvidia will be fixing it, not with Nvidia eGPU not being officially supported. :(

I'm probably going to end up picking up an AMD GPU for macOS and Linux and just take the hit on games in Windows once there's an AMD GPU available, maybe some "Vega 128," with power comparable to the 1080ti . . .

As for TB1/TB2 Macs, eGPU is no more available in 10.13.4, there is high possibility that the lag is caused by macOS graphic framework changes about eGPU. (Apple think our Skylake+ systems support TB3, despite if there is any Thunderbolt devices, and apply some eGPU related stuff resulted in lag)

I'm not expecting Apple to provide any sort of official support for NVIDIA cards, but as NVIDIA was improving 10.13.3 drivers and they bumped version code again, maybe NVIDIA will solve the issue.:(

BTW it seems there won't be video acceleration support for eGPU. Pre-Skylake Mac users may need it for HEVC hardware decoding/encoding, but Apple "solved" this problem by preventing them from using eGPU.