Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Ok I retested High Sierra 10.13.3 with the .159 driver (haswell 4770, 1050gt) and compared to Sierra 10.12.6 with f06 driver:

- There is no microstuttering with the webgl water demo under high sierra. There is a little microstuttering with Sierra.

- Gfx performance seems to be a bit higher on HS than with 10.12.6 f06 driver

- High Sierra can lag more obvious on some actions, e.g. closing browser tabs can lead to short mouse pointer freeze. With Sierra the mouse pointer will never freeze

- CPU performance seems to be obviously lower with High Sierra than with Sierra, I assume because all those Spectre modifications (on haswell rig)

- I see no drastic gpu performance increase that Apple predicted. I guess because nvidia barely really supports metal 2 at all? 

- I hate the total lack of proper detail information from nvidia and apple. Go {censored} yourself

Summary:

- GPU performance is better with .159 than with f06

- CPU performance is better with Sierra

- Something still is seriously wrong in High Sierra (mouse freezes)

- There is microstuttering in Sierra

So who is to blame here? nvidia or Apple?

- I see no drastic gpu performance increase that Apple predicted. I guess because nvidia barely really supports metal 2 at all? 

Metal 2 helps CPU-limited games, assuming they rewrite their engine to take advantage of the new features.  Given that the Window Server, Safari etc are not CPU-limited games, then it's not surprising that you aren't seeing massive improvements from High Sierra.

• Like 1

What is the last version compatible with Maxwell? I've been going "backwards" and I'm at 378.10.10.10.25.106 and it's still not compatible… :(

PS: I'm on a 770.

EDIT: It does work natively but it's been insanely laggy in 10.13.3 so I was hoping the Web Drivers would help with that…

Clover kext patch for the web drivers

Find: <4e564441 52657175 69726564 4f5300>

Replace: <00000000 00000000 00000000 000000>

Source: github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sh/blob/master/etc/clover-patch.plist

• Like 1

Clover kext patch for the web drivers

Find: <4e564441 52657175 69726564 4f5300>

Replace: <00000000 00000000 00000000 000000>

Source: github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sh/blob/master/etc/clover-patch.plist

Nice catch)

WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.159 is working fine with my GF119 under macOS 10.13.4 Beta 3 (17E160e). Thanks  :)

<key>NVDARequiredOS</key><string>17E</string>

TZH5HxD.png

where do I put the string to enable install for beta version?

• 2 weeks later...

On my rig, 161 web drivers is still lagging, bit less than 158 but still. Chrome works better and smoother if GPU acceleration is disabled. Comparing to 106, Window Server process is using approximetley twice as more of memory. Also i am unable to grab single window screenshot (CMD+Shift+4 than hit space) it gives me whole desktop highlighted, after that capturing error.
Also, display detection takes forever. Ie switching on tv, causes about 1 minute system freeze.

Good thing is, since version 156, drivers are support 60Hz refresh rate over HDMI (however i cant enable HDR/10bit color mode).

10.25.161.all.jpg

Edited by ontoid

Testing here latest WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.161.pkg works perfectly here on
the Beta 5 10.13.4  With Nvidia Payload Packager

no issue at all all is good :)  Now its more easy for me testing with my new Dell Optiplex specially for  Beta test :lol:

no need changing Graphics card all the time

0.png

1.png

Edited by chris1111

Guest ricoc90

If anyone is interested in testing, 

I've made a new tool to patch the webdrivers.
It does the exact same thing as the one I posted before, except now it uses dialog boxes.

I decided to redo everything because I lost the code from the previous ones and because I'm bored.

Downside: the script uses dialog and it will download and make the source if it is not present on your system.
For more info about dialog, see https://invisible-island.net/dialog/
Expect bugs.

Download: NVDAWebPatcher.zip
Screenshots:

Spoiler

wuCPInE.pngQGN4VGm.pngikiE4Ft.png6WUyxNP.pngMlyyRlY.pngEVDNgqx.png

ZnFjy8g.pngy31slse.pngZWQj5KQ.png8OwTC5V.pngqnJ99Qi.png

Edited by ricoc90
Improved the script, moved to Google drive, updated screenshots