[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

(IMHO) Based on your CPU and GPU iMac15,1 is the best choice for you.

Ok,  so should i stay on SMBIOS with Amd GPU : iMac 27".

I Assumed that we are talking about the first PC in your signature, Right?

(IMHO) Based on your CPU and GPU iMac15,1 is the best choice for you.

I Assumed that are talking about the first PC in your signature, Right?

Yes , you're right :

- my G1840 build is iMac 13,2

-  my  i4150 build is iMac 14,2

Sorry i'll explain me more :

- I use currently my first PC for my job and for remote session via a server in my entreprise and i don not experiment on it.

- So my the second is reserved for home computing and test.

But i'll try the way you suggest iMac15,1 on my G1840 and repport ;)

• Like 1

I can now double confirm that EmuVariable is a big hold up and cause of OSInstall.mpkg error. I had successful USB installation of High Sierra on my Haswell laptop after removing EmuVariable and now to add icing on the cake I have had a successful USB installation on my Skylake machine by just removing EmuVariable. Both machines were plagued by the OSInstall.mpkg error until now. No other changes were made besides removing EmuVariable.
Great work to @cyberdevs for all his testing alongside mine.

EDIT: If i remove EmuVariable from my Sierra installation on my Skylake build my GTX960 is no longer detected, i don't know if it will be the same in High Sierra as i am waiting on Nvidia drivers. If it is the same in High Sierra we will either need to find a way to fix EmuVariable or remove it prior to installation and install it afterwards (for Nvidia users).

• Like 5

I've been using EmuVariable on my UEFI BIOS (to get Nvidia drivers loading in Sierra) and have installed High Sierra twice successfully with no issues (once to a partition, once to a fresh SSD). This was using the createmediainstall method from a USB stick.

I didn't install the RC scripts with Clover and don't have any nvram.plist files though.

Edit: typo

I can now double confirm that EmuVariable is a big hold up and cause of OSInstall.mpkg error. I had successful USB installation of High Sierra on my Haswell laptop after removing EmuVariable and now to add icing on the cake I have had a successful USB installation on my Skylake machine by just removing EmuVariable. Both machines were plagued by the OSInstall.mpkg error until now. No other changes were made besides removing EmuVariable.

Great work to @cyberdevs for all his testing alongside mine.

EDIT: If i remove EmuVariable from my Sierra installation on my Skylake build my GTX960 is no longer detected, i don't know if it will be the same in High Sierra as i am waiting on Nvidia drivers. If it is the same in High Sierra we will either need to find a way to fix EmuVariable or remove it prior to installation and install it afterwards (for Nvidia users).

Great findings.

I suggest a slightly different experiment, instead of completely removing EmuVariable and nvram.plist go to nvram.plist and remove every fakesmc-key. 

-1-

rc scripts will cancel, so to speak, your changes.  <_< 

So.. it should be a different disk with macOS installed on it. 

Edited by Needy
  • Like 5

I suggest a slightly different experiment, instead of completely removing EmuVariable and nvram.plist go to nvram.plist and remove every fakesmc-key. 

That could be the explanation why it worked here from the beginning, the FakeSMC i use contains only the dsmos keys.

• Like 2

OK guys, I conducted another test with Clover r4104, I installed clover from scratch installed EmuVariableUEFI.efi and OsxAptioFix2Drv-64, I didn't install RC Scripts. Before starting the installation process I removed all the nvram.plist files from each and every EFI partition I had and it's working without any problem.

Update: In the next test I will put back nvram.plist in the EFI folders and see how it works with emuvaraiable and if it failed after that I will test what Needy has proposed, I will remove the FakeSMC entries and see how it goes.

• Like 2

Another update:

I put back the nvram.plist files in each EFI partition and the installer is working with no errors. I just whipped the target volume so that's the only hdd with no nvram.plist.

Hi guys, after a couple of weeks of trial and error finally got to install it on my XPS 9360, but I have an interesting issue, whenever I press the function keys (specifically F7 to F12), the OS freeze completely, this doesn't happen from F1 to F6 (mute, volume and the play (F5) opens iTunes), I currently using voodoPS2 installed for the trackpad but it happens even without it (no trackpad detected).

Any pointers at what could be doing this? currently I can't debug it as the system just dies after pressing the keys.

Thanks for any response!

- Usb installer with 10.13. beta (17A291m) ( create install media on terminal)

- Clover 4102

- Smbios iMac 15.1

- No EmuVariable

- Same kexts as last installer (10,13, beta 1)

- New partition on my HDD this time  : want to preserve my right install on SSD

- build 2 G1840

Not achieve yet : some issue at reboot , i' will try to solve that tomorrow : i think the solution  is here on the posts. 

- Usb installer with 10.13. beta (17A291m) ( create install media on terminal)

- Clover 4102

- Smbios iMac 15.1

- No EmuVariable

- Same kexts as last installer (10,13, beta 1)

- New partition on my HDD this time  : want to preserve my right install on SSD

Not achieve yet : some issue at reboot , i' will try to solve that tomorrow : i think the solution  is here on the posts. 

Try Clover r4104 it's working even with EmuvariableUEFI.efi installed. Just don't install RC Scripts.

Question about SSD :

Is this Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go a good improuvment to use with  APFS High Sierra  ?

Try Clover r4104 it's working even with EmuvariableUEFI.efi installed. Just don't install RC Scripts.

Sorry, but EmuVariableUefi is useless without RC scripts. It simple didn't work and didn't create nvram.plist. Problem is in one specific key added by EmuVariableUefi in nvram.plist. What key i don't know. Don't have time for tests but i'll try to find it this weekend.
  • Like 3

Well it works kind of so thank you @chris1111 :D

I guess I´ll have to wait for @Tluck to release a HighSierra compatible version of his voodooPS2 Driver since this one fits perfectly on my T420s the SmartTouchPad driver enables the prefpane but also disables quite all of my function keys (brightness etc)...

• Like 1

I guess I´ll have to wait for @Tluck to release a HighSierra compatible version of his voodooPS2 Driver since this one fits perfectly on my T420s the SmartTouchPad driver enables the prefpane but also disables quite all of my function keys (brightness etc)...

You can see other kext maybe beter for you here  :D

Sources ApplePS2SmartTouchPad

• Like 1

It's fairly simple to patch your dsdt for brightness keys for that kext.

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7890-how-to-fix-your-acpi-brightness-keys-using-smart-touchpad-driver/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well it is even simpler than that :D

All you have to do is open up VoodooPS2Controller.kext -> Plugins -> VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext -> info.plist with an editor of your choice and navigate to IOKitPersonalities and change <key>Darwin 16.x</key> to <key>Darwin 17.x</key> and that's it the Prefpane will work as before and your function Keys will do as well. Don't forget to place an unmodified copy of voodooPS2.kext in 10.12 if you use Sierra and HighSierra in a dual boot Setup.

At least this is true for T420 and T420s and I guess other Thinkpads as well ^^

• Like 4

Well it is even simpler than that :D

All you have to do is open up VoodooPS2Controller.kext -> Plugins -> VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext -> info.plist with an editor of your choice and navigate to IOKitPersonalities and change <key>Darwin 16.x</key> to <key>Darwin 17.x</key> and that's it the Prefpane will work as before and your function Keys will do as well. Don't forget to place an unmodified copy of voodooPS2.kext in 10.12 if you use Sierra and HighSierra in a dual boot Setup.

At least this is true für T420 and T420s and I guess other Thinkpads as well ^^

Test working in my HP Probook 6570B Thanks great tips

:thumbsup_anim: