[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

My Haswell laptop has given me the OSInstall.mpkg error on a fresh USB installation every time except when I removed EmuVariable for drivers64uefi. Thanks to @cyberdevs for the information. I did not remove any nvram plists only EmuVariable.

This is a success.

Also without EmuVariable my battery indicator works correctly.

Edit: battery indicator does not work correctly buy is not as flawed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Haswell laptop has given me the OSInstall.mpkg error on a fresh USB installation every time except when I removed EmuVariable for drivers64uefi. Thanks to @cyberdevs for the information. I did not remove any nvram plists only EmuVariable.

This is a success.

Also without EmuVariable my battery indicator works correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the confirmation.  :)

I also didn't have to remove nvram.plist for the installations. :yes:

• Like 2

I've deleted all my nvram.plist from whole available EFI partitions on my HDD but still get OSInstall.mpkg error, so I think need to re-download the fresh "Install macOS 10.13 Beta.app" again then build everything from scratch. Would try using "createinstallmedia" method since I never used this from 10.6.x era... Hmmb.

I've deleted all my nvram.plist from whole available EFI partitions on my HDD but still get OSInstall.mpkg error, so I think need to re-download the fresh "Install macOS 10.13 Beta.app" again then build everything from scratch. Would try using "createinstallmedia" method since I never used this from 10.6.x era... Hmmb.

if the installer is ok you don't need to re-download it unless it's not the latest version. All you need to do is to remove the whole EFI folder, install clover without the EmuVariableUEFI.efi and the RC Scripts. you can use your config.plist, kexts, DSDT/SSDT and themes.

UEFI

UEFI on my Probook ESP on my Dell Optiplex 790

both installation

The error occurred in Legacy mode for me. I had no problem in UEFI so far.

Oh btw, Clover r4092 didn't fixed anything for me.

So maybe we can now state that EmuVariable is a problem when using UEFI and nvram.plist is another when using Legacy, correct?

Also, it tends to prove that FF, FFM and Bios version/date wasn't the culprit in the first place :unsure:.

Would try using "createinstallmedia" method since I never used this from 10.6.x era... Hmmb.

createinstallmedia is the only way that works AFAIK.

• Like 1

The error occurred in Legacy mode for me. I had no problem in UEFI so far.

Oh btw, Clover r4092 didn't fixed anything for me.

So maybe we can now state that EmuVariable is a problem when using UEFI and nvram.plist is another when using Legacy, correct?

Also, it tends to prove that FF, FFM and Bios version/date wasn't the culprit in the first place :unsure:.

createinstallmedia is the only way that works AFAIK.

I can confirm that the FF,FFM was ok from the get go, it was the Emuvariable all along.

Just don't install the RC scripts and try on the legacy bios

@cyberdev: yeah, it's still dp1 (17A264c) but in fact I already gotta 17A291m running well on another partition after MAS updates, but install method was not as it should to be; via Core.pkg .. Thanks for ur guess anyway ^_^

@cyberdev: yeah, it's still dp1 (17A264c) but in fact I already gotta 17A291m running well on another partition after MAS updates, but install method was not as it should to be; via Core.pkg .. Thanks for ur guess anyway ^_^

You're welcome, let me know if it worked out for you or not  :wink_anim:

You're welcome, let me know if it worked out for you or not  :wink_anim:

OK, since I have only 5400rpm mechanical SATA.. I think it's better install using HFS+.. also APFS a little bit confusing me while creating Custom Entry under Clover GUI. On my case is "Recovery HD" which has same UUID as MainOS (10.13) as seen on Bootscreen, but prisoned within it's own container (\VenMedia); it appears there if using "Auto Scan" though.. I remember @arshadu ever discussed this here, but can't find that. Whoaa..  :lol: this thread is blazing fast since 1st created, 8x pages till date. Thanks again @fantomas  :thumbsup_anim:

OK, since I have only 5400rpm mechanical SATA.. I think it's better install using HFS+.. also APFS a little bit confusing me while creating Custom Entry under Clover GUI. On my case is "Recovery HD" which has same UUID as MainOS (10.13) as seen on Bootscreen, but prisoned within it's own container (\VenMedia); it appears there if using "Auto Scan" though.. I remember @arshadu ever discussed this here, but can't find that. Whoaa..  :lol: this thread is blazing fast since 1st created, 8x pages till date. Thanks again @fantomas  :thumbsup_anim:

APFS on a mechanical HDD is still a disaster. HFS is better for now, maybe in the next updates it will work ok on mechanical HDDs but not yet. :) If you have a 7200 RPM with 6GB/s SATA III port you might find it tolerable but definitely not on 5400 RPM

APFS on a mechanical HDD is still a disaster. HFS is better for now, maybe in the next updates it will work ok on mechanical HDDs but not yet. :) If you have a 7200 RPM with 6GB/s SATA III port you might find it tolerable but definitely not on 5400 RPM

I won't say it's a disaster,. I myself use a 5400 rpm mechanical HDD from the beginning on my Haswell and Core2Duo laptops. I think I already say it here but it's getting better the more you use it.

Of course, it's not fast that's for sure and it's not as fast as HFS+ that's also for sure but it's totally usable on a daily basis :).

I won't say it's a disaster,. I myself use a 5400 rpm mechanical HDD from the beginning on my Haswell and Core2Duo laptops. I think I already say it here but it's getting better the more you use it.

Of course, it's not fast that's for sure and it's not as fast as HFS+ that's also for sure but it's totally usable on a daily basis :).

Well that's good that you found use for it but compare to HFS it's really annoying but I guess it could be more useful with fusion drive technology. If we combine an older mechanical HDD with a small or even larger SSD we can get better performance :)

To be honest I didn't give APFS on a mechanical HDD enough time to get improved but you and some other people around here said that APFS's performance improves over time. I was't that patient though  B)

• Like 1

I have two issues to comment on:

1. For the OSInstall.mpkg error, I would get that but found a strange way to work around it.  Maybe it will help explain what's going on.  BTW, this is for a legacy installation, not UEFI.  I created an installer partition on the same SSD as the target partition of High Sierra.  If I tried to run the installer and select the target partition, I would get the OSInstall.mpkg error.  However, if I ran the installer from my Sierra partition (also on the same SSD) I did not see an entry in Clover to run the installer that was created in the target partition.  So I went back to the installer partition and ran that again, again selecting the target partition on which to install HS, and this time, it would show up in Clover and, when I ran it, I did not get the OSInstall.mpkg error.  I'm not sure why the entry did not show up in Clover when I ran the installer.app in Sierra and I'm not sure why I got the error when I ran the installer app from my installer partition.  All I know is that, using the two in combination, I didn't get the error and was able to successfully install HS on the target partition.

2.  I had problems with the system protection fault that others have described where you see a screen full of reddish-pink numbers on a black background either right before or right after you get to the Clover menu.  I have determined that, for me, this was caused by the combination of the SMBIOS in my config.plist and my custom SSDT.  When I changed the SMBIOS, the problems started.  Making a new SSDT with the new SMBIOS solved the problem sort of.  I changed my SMBIOS from MBP9,2 to MBP9,1.  That enabled me to install 10.13 beta 1.  But I had been using MBP9,2 before that and when I switched back to MBP9,2, my problems started.  I then tried out MBP10,1 and made a new SSDT for that and it works but I'm having USB problems all of the sudden which I believe may be caused by the fact that MBP10,1 is probably not the best SMBIOS for my laptop.  I then switched back to MBP9,2, which I think is the best SMBIOS for my laptop, and used the newest SMBIOS info that just came out and made a new SSDT for it and my problems came back.  I"m not exactly sure how to fix this problem or what exactly causes it but the combination of SMBIOS and SSDT appears to be the issue for me.

I hope these comments help someone else.

I'm about to test on a fresh usb installer 10.13 (17A291m) with Clover 4102 : is there any improuvment to try with another system definition : on Sierra 10.12.5  Mac Pro 6.1 worked for me ?

( Currently my SMBIOS is iMac 13.2 )

I'm about to test on a fresh usb installer 10.13 (17A291m) with Clover 4102 : is there any improuvment to try with another system definition : on Sierra Mac Pro 6.1 worked for me ? ( Actually my SMBIOS is Imac 13.2 )

Choosing a SMBIOS closest to your hardware specs will improve management of the hardware resources by the macOS like managing the power management for the CPU, managing the GPU etc. Each Apple product has different hardware for example some 21.5" iMacs only have Intel Graphics while other models might have nVidia or AMD GPUs. MacPro6,1 has a Xeon processor and it has two GPUs. So choose the SMBIOS based on your hardware.

• Like 1

Choosing a SMBIOS closest to your hardware specs will improve management of the hardware resources by the macOS like managing the power management for the CPU, managing the GPU etc. Each Apple product has different hardware for example some 21.5" iMacs only have Intel Graphics while other models might have nVidia or AMD GPUs. MacPro6,1 has a Xeon processor and it has two GPUs. So choose the SMBIOS based on your hardware.

Ok,  so should i stay on SMBIOS with Amd GPU : iMac 27".