Apple unveils "macOS High Sierra"

37 posts in this topic

Apple: Mac OS X Leopard

Apple: Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Apple: Mac OS X Lion

Apple: OS X Mountain Lion

Me: Come, on!  There's still OS X Cougar!!

Apple: We're out of cat names, let's name OS X after places in California...

Me: Great.  OS X Hollywood?

Apple: OS X Mavericks

Apple: OS X Yosemite

Me: OS X Hollywood?

Apple: OS X El Capitan

Me: OS X Hollywood?

Apple: LOL let's ditch "OS X", that's so 2001.  How about, macOS Sierra!

Me: macOS Hollywood does roll off the tongue a bit better.

Apple: macOS High Sierra...

Me: You better use macOS Hollywood next year, or you'll be seeing a lawsuit from me!!

Apple: ***Next Year's prediction*** We're out of California names, let's ditch the whole naming thing: macOS 10.14!!

Me:  :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

TL;DR: It sounds like Apple had gotten lazy in picking a California name with "High Sierra"!

• Like 1

Guest ricoc90

Do you know that joke of Apple and their OS Names? They got high on Sierra [Mist]. 

Sierra Mist is a sativa dominant hybrid strain of unknown genetics due to breeder secrecy. This bud is best known for competing in the High Times’ Cannabis Cup and gets its name from the soda Sierra Mist because of the similarities in flavors.

I wonder what their marketing guys have been smoking when they decided to call their next OS macOS High Sierra? Will we see macOS Dope or macOS Crack next year?

I think they should have stayed with the cat names. macOS Maine Coon, for example, is still available and sounds far better than "High Sierra"! By the way, there are so many names of cat races available...

Mieze  :cat:

• Like 8

I wonder what their marketing guys have been smoking when they decided to call their next OS macOS High Sierra? Will we see macOS Dope or macOS Crack next year?

I think they should have stayed with the cat names. macOS Maine Coon, for example, is still available and sounds far better than "High Sierra"! By the way, there are so many names of cat races available...

Mieze  :cat:

:hysterical:  :hysterical:

• Like 1

Is there also an new macOS server app? because 5.3 doesn't work anymore with High Sierra

Yes, but you need to be a registered developer in order to have access to the macOS Server 5.4beta.

Mieze

Yes, but you need to be a registered developer in order to have access to the macOS Server 5.4beta.

Mieze

From the release notes, “Caching Server, Time Machine Server, and File Sharing advanced options are now built directly into macOS”.

All of these features are missing in Server.app 5.3.51 compared to Server 5.3.1 - Services: Caching, File Sharing, Time Machine, Xcode, (never use). Advanced: FTP, Open Directory. Does anyone know where I can find the Time Machine Server in High Sierra? 

• 2 weeks later...

Time Machine and Xcode are both apps. I never use Time machine, but do use Xcode on occasion.

My problem with Time machine is you have to have two hard drives with the second being large enough to hold the boot drive in it's entirety, twice. Which to me is just a waste of space.

• 1 month later...