470 posts in this topic

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w000n5cz5vw2y6v/AAAcDf9n5Y6bkJH0LzB1rjXOa?dl=0

E: I swapped the plugs around a bit. As long as I don't use the rightmost DP, it seems to work. With DP+DP

As far as I know DP+HDMI and DP+DP+HDMI works but if you are going to use DP+DVI it won't work. DVI+HDMI works as well but DP+DVI won't ;)

Thanks for the info, but I have a Question:

"Run the Installer from..." from where? App Store? Or Do I have to create and use a boot stick?

Like on regular mac, download from appstore and double click on it.

EDIT: in EFI Partition, do I have to copy the existing Clover Kexts form the "10.12" Folder to "Other" as well?

no, just that one file.

I didn’t do it initialy, so I had to do it manually in safe mode, because clover could not see APFS disk. I expect that we will have to update this file every time we get macOS update, until Clover makes it automatic, like other kexts.

Unfortunately, the High Sierra Installer crashes on me:

rootless-init: failed to push /system/library/sandbox/compatibility.bundle/contents/resources/paths: Function not implemented

BootCacheControl:  could not insert prefetch tag: 22 invalid argument

Waiting for DSMOS…

Process[95] crashed: wirelessproxd. too many corpses being created

Process[117] crashed: corebrightnessd. too many corpses being created

Any Idea what that means?

I believe it is related to your USB installer if I'm not mistaking, I think I saw it on another topic and after recreating the USB disk once again it will be resolved. (Not totally sure though)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

What's up?

I have some good news and sort of bad news to share:

The Bad news:

I recently switched to macOS High Sierra 10.13 (17A405) on my Skylake rig and after using it for few days on an APFS formatted SSD, all of a sudden it crashed. After trying to revive the damn thing I ended up with nothing so I had to format the SSD and reinstall the whole thing again, So please be cautious if you are going to use APFS. I'm not sure if this was related to APFS file system itself or it was because of something else but nonetheless if you are going to use APFS make sure have a rock solid backup plan. You can also find Pike's article on his blog: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/do-i-use-apfs/

The Good news:

After spending the whole day trying to reinstall macOS High Sierra with some complications (I tried to change my SMBIOS's settings which gave me the Black Screen after installing web driver) I decided to create a clean EFI folder without any extra patches and without the DSDT and SSDTs. I was able to install macOS High Sierra successfully and I everything is fine now.

I'm using HFS now and I installed macOS High Sierra using the "startosinstall" method.

I found out some amazing facts about my rig which might apply to you as well:

1. My system is fully operational without a patched DSDT

2. We don't need the custom SSDT-UIAC.aml all the USB ports are operational only with the USBInjectAll.kext and the Port Patch limit.

3. I was having trouble with my GPU's temperature and it got dropped by 20 degrees without the DSDT and SSDT's so I guess there was some configurations in those files. It was previously showing me the 58 degrees while idle and now it's on 38 degrees even though the fans are running at their minimum speed.

4. Sleep works but for having the audio after sleep we still need to set darkwake to 8 and we still need the CodecCommander.kext (I still use the 2.4.0 version)

5. The audio will work if only I add the ACPI patch to change HDAS to HDEF and FixShutdown is still needed.

Here is my EFI folder for those who might need it.

Cheers!

GA-Z170X-Gaming5-EFI.r4244.zip

post-1011040-0-05137000-1507704845_thumb.png

Thanks for sharing the files and the info on the aps situation. I'll try to create a bootstick with the new 4244.zip and try to upgrade to high sierra again, since my last attempt just using the app store method gave me these odd errors I mentioned earlier. I just can't do a clean install at the moment.

You're welcome.

The errors you mentioned earlier are odd, please update your signature with your specs and please be specific. it might have been something that we overlooked earlier.

Hi guys,

What's up?

I have some good news and sort of bad news to share:

The Bad news:

I recently switched to macOS High Sierra 10.13 (17A405) on my Skylake rig and after using it for few days on an APFS formatted SSD, all of a sudden it crashed. After trying to revive the damn thing I ended up with nothing so I had to format the SSD and reinstall the whole thing again, So please be cautious if you are going to use APFS. I'm not sure if this was related to APFS file system itself or it was because of something else but nonetheless if you are going to use APFS make sure have a rock solid backup plan. You can also find Pike's article on his blog: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/do-i-use-apfs/

The Good news:

After spending the whole day trying to reinstall macOS High Sierra with some complications (I tried to change my SMBIOS's settings which gave me the Black Screen after installing web driver) I decided to create a clean EFI folder without any extra patches and without the DSDT and SSDTs. I was able to install macOS High Sierra successfully and I everything is fine now.

I'm using HFS now and I installed macOS High Sierra using the "startosinstall" method.

I found out some amazing facts about my rig which might apply to you as well:

1. My system is fully operational without a patched DSDT

2. We don't need the custom SSDT-UIAC.aml all the USB ports are operational only with the USBInjectAll.kext and the Port Patch limit.

3. I was having trouble with my GPU's temperature and it got dropped by 20 degrees without the DSDT and SSDT's so I guess there was some configurations in those files. It was previously showing me the 58 degrees while idle and now it's on 38 degrees even though the fans are running at their minimum speed.

4. Sleep works but for having the audio after sleep we still need to set darkwake to 8 and we still need the CodecCommander.kext (I still use the 2.4.0 version)

5. The audio will work if only I add the ACPI patch to change HDAS to HDEF and FixShutdown is still needed.

Here is my EFI folder for those who might need it.

Cheers!

Make APFS test to another SSD'S

May be its relate to the SSD brand ?

Make APFS test to another SSD'S

May be its relate to the SSD brand ?

Unfortunately this is the only SSD disk that I have at the moment, but I'm planning to buy a NVME ssd soon. I will test it later.

But the performance on HFS is way better than APFS on my HyperX Savage.

Unfortunately this is the only SSD disk that I have at the moment, but I'm planning to buy a NVME ssd soon. I will test it later.

I never have issue APFS with Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 275,06 Go

since HS Beta release

• Like 1

I have the hyperx savage as well and when I used it for apfs I had no issues. High Sierra is now installed as APFS on m.2 intel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have the hyperx savage as well and when I used it for apfs I had no issues. High Sierra is now installed as APFS on m.2 intel.

Well maybe it was bad luck but it was scary as hell :D

Well I suggest you be cautious because at the same time another user created a topic describing the same symptoms and it can't be a coincidence that two people with different setup and SSD brands having almost the same problem?!?

I dont think is a bad luck 

I believe much more that you have a few things wrong in EFI

Or that you have installed on HS

What's wrong with the EFI? can you please tell me what could that be?

Well I suggest you be cautious because at the same time another user created a topic describing the same symptoms and it can't be a coincidence that two people with different setup and SSD brands having almost the same problem?!?

What's wrong with the EFI? can you please tell me what could that be?

I dont know ?

it's up to you to find it,

there surely some things you have or you do not have that causes you trouble

I dont know ?

it's up to you to find it,

there surely some things you have or you do not have that causes you trouble

I've been using the same EFI for past two years and my OS never crashed, but i will double check everything before I attempt another APFS installation.

I've been using the same EFI for past two years and my OS never crashed, but i will double check everything before I attempt another APFS installation.

are you formate the SSD in HFS+J /guid

before using APFS / startosinstall

are you formate the SSD in HFS+J /guid

before using APFS / startosinstall

Yes, I believe I did. Before the crash I installed macOS High Sierra twice with the CreateInstallMedia method and it was the first High Sierra release and I didn't like the performance even then, and after that when the supplemental update came out I neglected to uninstall the nvidia web drivers before installing the Supplemental update so I had to reinstall the macOS. I tried three times and every time I used APFS I didn't like the performance.

Yes, I believe I did. Before the crash I installed macOS High Sierra twice with the CreateInstallMedia method and it was the first High Sierra release and I didn't like the performance even then, and after that when the supplemental update came out I neglected to uninstall the nvidia web drivers before installing the Supplemental update so I had to reinstall the macOS. I tried three times and every time I used APFS I didn't like the performance.

So your issue looks like relate to the WEB drivers much more than an APFS file system  :rofl:

So your issue looks like relate to the WEB drivers much more than an APFS file system  :rofl:

No it's not, the previous post was about the times I installed macOS before the crash.

The system was up and running when the problem occurred, the system was fully functional for several days and I was managing some archives and when I tried to empty the trash I noticed that it's taking much longer than usual so I tried to reboot the system which was running for couple of days and after that the OS didn't load.

@cyberdevs have you tried install the .1 beta updates on skylake? I've tried with both and can't seem to boot os after installing the update.

Nope, I haven't. on my skylake I only install the released versions, What happens when you boot with the .1 beta?

Nope, I haven't. on my skylake I only install the released versions, What happens when you boot with the .1 beta?

I'll get a screen shot tomorrow and post it.

Does the same with beta 2 as well.