470 posts in this topic

I have just tried running those commands and in system report the display still is recognised as a 'television' and no sign of nightshift :/

What should I do now?

I have also tried NightShiftUnlocker with no luck :/ 

Unfortunately NightShift doesn't work on my TV either, but your display is not a TV but macOS detects it as a TV so I assume that's why NightSift doesn't work. I have no solution to fix it. But if I come up with an idea I will let you know.

As I haven't sold my old monitor just yet, Samsung S34E790C. I decided I'd clone its EDID and then put it in the overrides folder. and magic.. Nightshift is supported and my LG 38UC99-W monitor which previously was being recognised as a 'tv' is no longer. (although at the lower resolution 3440x1440 of the Samsung monitor, instead of the 3840x1600 of the LG). Now I just want to find out what is it about the native EDID of my LG 38 that makes MacOS believe its a TV... :D
Does anyone know any programs to use to edit the EDID? 

• Like 1

As I haven't sold my old monitor just yet, Samsung S34E790C. I decided I'd clone its EDID and then put it in the overrides folder. and magic.. Nightshift is supported and my LG 38UC99-W monitor which previously was being recognised as a 'tv' is no longer. (although at the lower resolution 3440x1440 of the Samsung monitor, instead of the 3840x1600 of the LG). Now I just want to find out what is it about the native EDID of my LG 38 that makes MacOS believe its a TV... :D

You can use SwitchResX

You don't need to edit the EDID for resolutions. Just need to add the correct resolutions to the correct override. I recently did this for my laptop which has a 1366x768 screen and with the correct override I can now choose 1920x1080 while pressing alt.

For EDID editing you can try fixEDID.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers for the support guys im determined to figure this out :P

Alright so ive done heaps of testing with many many custom EDIDs and ive come to this conclusion...
I can get a resolution 3832x1598 soo very very close to 3840x1600 and Nightshift will work and display won't show up as TV. so a big win! 

It seems that apple has made it that when it detects a monitor runs at QHD '4k' resolution (well the 3840 part, which is the case with my ultra wide resolution), it just assumes it is a TV

Now the real question is, how can somehow get past this limitation?

The only display that apple officially sells is the LG 5K 27" display which is available on their web site, so I guess you correct about that. "If it's bigger than 27" so it has to be a TV, DUHH!" ;)

• Like 2

Exactly and their only 4k monitor is 4096 not 3840...

So that explains why the monitor shows up as a TV
That would mean though that everyone with a 3840 x XXXX monitor would have their monitor show up as a 'TV' and no Nightshift

What do you think could be done about this?

Well, to be honest the best shot that you have is to edit those EDID settings until you get the maximum resolution, which I'm not so familiar with, but the whole dilemma got me thinking but unfortunately I don't own a 4K or 5K display so I can't say for sure. I can only test it on my old 32" TV which only supports 1080p resolution but I guess it wouldn't make any difference since it is actually a TV not a monitor. :rofl:

Its just very annoying MacOS isn't able to rely on both horizontal and vertical aspects before classifying a monitor as a 'TV'.

I would be interested to find out if theres anyone with a UQHD monitor that has Nightshift working

Wonder if anything can be done 

Yeah Apple is very choosy when it comes to hardware, they will only support what they use. The term Hackintosh is the most appropriate name for what we do, We hack the macOS to be compatible with non apple hardware ;)

For the time being I have made a custom EDID with the exact 3840x1600 @75hz and am using that with FixEDID to spoof my display as a Apple Thunderbolt Display. This finally enables Nightshift

Hopefully in the near future Apple will fix the incorrect classification and I won't have to use this patch. If anyone would like the EDID then PM me :) 

• Like 1

@f00b4r you bet, I just did that before :) I have this issue on my MacBook and would assume every Mac would experience the same issue. As they only use one field either horizontal or vertical to determine if a monitor should be classified as a 'TV', hence the misclassification.

I'm running the latest High Sierra betas and so far there isn't much change, but fingers crossed for the future

Hopefully they listen :D

I did nothing to get night shift and it is choosable with my Dell UP2716D

Aren’t you lucky :P I’ve noticed that your monitor is only 2560x1440? Ive noticed the issue of monitor being incorrectly recognised as ‘TV’ only on monitors with 3840 x XXXX resolution

I still have an issues with the Front Panel USB Ports of my Hackintosh build. And I wonder if it is software or hardware related.

I have the EU Version of this Board and a Fractal Design Refine R5 case. The USB Plug is connected to one of the the ports next to the 24 Pin connector.

My Logitech m570 Trackball Mouse is plugged in the USB 2 Port on the Front Panel. And as soon as I put a Drive into one of the other USB ports the Mouse Pointer starts stuttering, like scanning the drive/disk blocks the transfer from the mouse. It's very annoying. Does soomebody have an Idea how to fix this?

Another Thing: Somebody told me that m.2 and NVME will be supported natively once High Sierra comes out. Is this true? Or does it work already? It's such a fast Interface. Would be great to run the OS from that.

Thanks.

The easiest way to see if it's hardware or software for your USB ports is to boot a live linux USB or windows and test the ports.

I still have an issues with the Front Panel USB Ports of my Hackintosh build. And I wonder if it is software or hardware related.

I have the EU Version of this Board and a Fractal Design Refine R5 case. The USB Plug is connected to one of the the ports next to the 24 Pin connector.

My Logitech m570 Trackball Mouse is plugged in the USB 2 Port on the Front Panel. And as soon as I put a Drive into one of the other USB ports the Mouse Pointer starts stuttering, like scanning the drive/disk blocks the transfer from the mouse. It's very annoying. Does soomebody have an Idea how to fix this?

Another Thing: Somebody told me that m.2 and NVME will be supported natively once High Sierra comes out. Is this true? Or does it work already? It's such a fast Interface. Would be great to run the OS from that.

Thanks.

Or you can test other USB ports and see if the problem is still there.

M.2 is already supported in macOS but NVMe needs patches to work in Sierra and it has native support in macOS High Sierra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Info.

I just updated to 10.12.6. The update worked without a problem.

But after the Restart, NVDIA Driver Manager informed me that there was a Web Driver update available. Version 378.05.05.25f01

Installed it restarted and then this happened:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8S5ZzOJJP9fV3FUV0RScURYeDA/view?usp=sharing

So the Cuda Driver Panel pops up and says "Hey your Cuda Drivers require am update. BUT I tried updating via the PrefPane as well as havoing a look at the Cuda Drivers Site from Nvidia. And actually, THIS Version 8.0.8.3 is the latest Version. Weird. So, Do I just have to wait then?

I have the same issue with cuda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUDA question?

Hello! Did not know until reading your posts ^ above today, that there were existed such CUDA drivers! There is some good benefit to it then? ... is it for rendering tasks in Premiere / Photoshop / other professional apps? Or does this help something else in os x?

====

Gaming 3 updated:

Anyhow I have fixed up all my Gaming 3 Clover configs today. Its available upon request (just PM me here). Updated for 12.6 today. I didnt do all this loads of DSDT patching to the max (like you guys for the Gaming 5). So mine has always been broken sleep function, it doesnt matter to me. Everything else seems fine. Many thanks for all help / knowledge coming back here. Just to update the CLOVER again for latest.

BTW whatever happened to Gaming 4 guys? Did we skip one? Hehehe. :thumbsup_anim:

====

Testing Metal:

And something for future: I find a list of perhaps 'metal' games?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/list-of-mac-metal-games.2045606/

We can try that list to to see which ones are the best for benchmarking metal (if they can at all). So to proper 'decent' testing for latest nvidia web drivers (will be hoping).

Actually I already posted on other forum thread about metal games list --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-07212017/?p=2467028

But maybe it should get its own thread (not to be lost in massive thread). :poke:

• Like 1

Thanks.

I have an Intel m.2 SSD and it works, but I have to adjust the bios to:

Peripherals

SATS And RST Configuration = SSD | Aggr. LPM Support= disabled

I have an Intel m.2 SSD and it works, but I have to adjust the bios to:

Peripherals

SATS And RST Configuration = SSD | Aggr. LPM Support= disabled

I also have an Intel m.2 so I'll check my bios settings after.