470 posts in this topic

New BIOS update for Gaming 5 boards, f22d, I just updated to f22d and everything is working fine.

does updating bios improve anything? i don't want to take the chance of messing up system if its already working fine.

and has anyone updated to high sierra in this build without any issues?

thanks again for the great guide.

does updating bios improve anything? i don't want to take the chance of messing up system if its already working fine.

and has anyone updated to high sierra in this build without any issues?

thanks again for the great guide.

Yes, the BIOS updates will improve system's overall performance and stability. Recently there were several discoveries about major flaws in Intel (and AMD) CPUs which goes back about 2 decades and the just keep surfacing and the BIOS updates will address those flaws as well. you can google Prime, Meltdown, Specter flaws to read more about them.

And yes you can install macOS High Sierra on your hack but you need to update Clover and Kexts to their latest versions and then you can (almost) easily install macOS 10.13.x.

Update Clover, Kexts (AppleALC, Lilu and other essential kexts with the FakeSMC.kext to 3.5.0) in order to have the best experience with installing macOS 10.13.x.

Let me know if you needed any more assistance on the installation of the macOS High Sierra.

• Like 1

Yes, the BIOS updates will improve system's overall performance and stability. Recently there were several discoveries about major flaws in Intel (and AMD) CPUs which goes back about 2 decades and the just keep surfacing and the BIOS updates will address those flaws as well. you can google Prime, Meltdown, Specter flaws to read more about them.

And yes you can install macOS High Sierra on your hack but you need to update Clover and Kexts to their latest versions and then you can (almost) easily install macOS 10.13.x.

Update Clover, Kexts (AppleALC, Lilu and other essential kexts with the FakeSMC.kext to 3.5.0) in order to have the best experience with installing macOS 10.13.x.

Let me know if you needed any more assistance on the installation of the macOS High Sierra.

awesome thank you. i will read into it. Have you overclocked this build at all?
  • Like 1

awesome thank you. i will read into it. Have you overclocked this build at all?

It is already set to relax OC but I didn't go all the way in, a while back I over clocked it to 4.6 GHz but it wasn't stable much and since I barely shut down the poor thing I decided to leave it on the relax OC just too boost the performance for day to day tasks.

• Like 1

sorry to keep coming back to this thread. my audio is working fine on the audio out port. it shows voodoo installed. 

noticing the volume slider does not adjust when i am using the keyboard or on screen slider. it moves. but does not decrease/increase 

the actual sound.

sorry to keep coming back to this thread. my audio is working fine on the audio out port. it shows voodoo installed.

noticing the volume slider does not adjust when i am using the keyboard or on screen slider. it moves. but does not decrease/increase

the actual sound.

Switch to Lilu and AppleALC.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

would it matter if i have the z170x Gaming 7 Creative sound enabled board?

thanks for the reply

I'm not sure sorry. I replied based on this thread being about my board the gaming 5.

• Like 1

is it possible to edit the config that was supplied in this tutorial to autoboot on startup or have a countdown?

Yes of course. Just set your default drive as shown below.

In clover configurator select the boot tab.

post-1083558-0-93708900-1516852405.png

post-1083558-0-92483900-1516852455.png

• Like 1

Sorry, me again, having trouble.

So, I installed a security update from the app store for Sierra today and after that the computer does no longer restart.

I took a photo of the screen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd221ws6kc6na04/Panic.jpg

Any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Hi

Update your lilu.kext to the latest version. It would be beneficial if you update other kexts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use either nvidiagraphicsfixup or the nvwebdriverlibfix.

If you are using the latest version of the latest version of the nvidiagraphicsfixup you won’t be needing nvwebdriverlibvalfix anymore

No, currently they are in the "10.12" folder. Should I put them (all of them?) in the "other" Folder

If you updated the version of the clover it might help to place them inside the other folder. I migrated to macOS high sierra and since then I use the “other” folder

• 2 weeks later...

@5T33Z0

I performed a direct update from macOS Sierra 10.12.6 to High Sierra 10.13.3 (Full Installer) and all went smoothly the only thing that needs to be added to the Clover's EFI folder is the APFS.efi which can be found under \Usr\standalone\i386 on the macOS High Sierra installer. This file is necessary if you use a SSD because in the update process macOS will update the HFS format to APFS.

You need to add this file to Clover's EFI folder under: \EFI\Clover\Drivers64UEFI otherwise Clover's won't be able to detect and boot from the new APFS formatted SSD.

If you are using a nVidia GPU you'll need to update the web drivers according to your GPU's model and the macOS's build number.

Important note:

If you ever decide to update your existing macOS Sierra to High Sierra make sure you have a backup of your data and the EFI folder just incase something goes wrong.

I know I was suppose to create a guide but unfortunately being busy at work prevents me from doing so.

If I find the time I will create the guide and I will post it in a new Topic.

That being said I have to say nVidia web drivers are not working as smoothly as Sierra (at least with my GPU) so that's another reason for the delay on the Guide because the performance of the system specially in the GUI and the metal performance is a bit laggy.

If you need more explanations just let me know.

Good Luck.

You're welcome :)

I don't know about the Audio plugins and the reboot issue you just mentioned but personally I'm waiting for the next update from apple and the nvidia to see if they fix the lags or not, otherwise I might go back to Sierra for the time being.

The lags are making my rig almost useless unless I use the previous nVidia Web Drivers.

That sounds like a good idea. Sierra was pretty stable on macs and hacks but I’m experiencing weird behavior and decrease in performance on several iMacs as well so it might be better if we stay on sierra for now