How to get a GT 730 fully functioning?

AppleBytes

8 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I've been cobbling a working Mavericks install on the following hardware:

A68HM plus mobo

A6 7470k 3.7Ghz APU

(MSI) GeForce GT-730 GPU w/4Gb ddr3 RAM

I'm using Chameleon, and finally got to the installer (screen) by adding GraphicsEnabler=Yes to the boot line.

Which used whatever it probed as a usable Nvidia driver. However, while it works, it's NOT the correct driver for this model, and I have no QE/CL. This is what it currently reports:

post-1825315-0-78681100-1496225098_thumb.png

I'm not sure how, or when. But it did detect it's an MSI rebranded Nvidia. But this may just be cosmetic, as my card has 4Gb, not 2. According to a table on Wikipedia for the Geforce cards, the Nvidia version of mine has the "code name" GF108:

post-1825315-0-75232600-1496224750_thumb.png

NOTE: mine is the one listed as 128-bit.

While the Nvidia card listed is the version MSI used for my card, the Nvidia version only packs 1Gb RAM, while mine has 4. So it appears I might be up against a couple of hurdles.

I grabbed a copy of IORegistryExplorer (2.1) off a SnowLeopard Hackintosh install I have, so I could poke around IOREG a little easier. It appears that NVArch reports GF100 , rather than GF108 .

IODeviceMemory appears to see all 4 memory chips, but doesn't appear to know what to do with the other 2:

post-1825315-0-91197600-1496226396_thumb.png

Since I need to feed OSX the (correct) information early; isn't there some way I can give Chameleon some HEX strings to push. In order to get OSX to attach the correct driver version? Is the a better / other way I should / could approach this? Has anyone else accomplished this?

Any time, or consideration is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

--Chris

Hello ricoc90 , and thanks for the reply!

I believe support for GT 730 is pretty problematic in Mavericks.

I was afraid I was going to hear that.

You could try to update to 10.9.5, in which case you can try the web drivers.

I was hoping I could get all the hardware sorted out before up(dating|grading). But maybe in this case, the reverse is the better choice.

I'll see if I can find a good kernel for the latest revision, and give it a shot.

Is using the 10.9.5.combo a safe / good direction to choose?

Thanks, again, ricoc90 !

--Chris

Combo is safe, you need to reinstall drivers and probably AMD kernel after upgrade.

• Like 1

WOW, 0000-1248  you're just a wealth of wisdom!

I REALLY appreciate you're continued support! Should we ever cross paths, I owe you (at least) a couple of pints!  :D

Mind you, the following question comes from my last Hackintosh experience, which was SnowLeopard; but can I be reasonably confident I have QE/CI if I can play Chess, and see all the fancy transitions?

Thanks again, 0000-1248 !

--Chris

Don't worry about it my friend. The most obvious ways you can tell if you have QE/CI enabled include a translucent menu bar, full VRAM recognised in System Profiler and if you download OpenGL Extensions Viewer and all the information is correct.

Also running a game can help determine whether the GPU is running smoothly.

- Matt

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 11:54 AM, bigpoppa206 said:

Did this ever get resolved?

What is the issue should be resolved? What is your card and what macOS version?

GT730 Fermi will works in 10.11.6.