Question - 10.12 uneven CPU core utilization?

anm

3 posts in this topic

Hi. A question to local gurus...

I am running Sierra on a dual xeon 2670 hackintosh (Asrock C602) and gtx1070. Dual boot to FreeBSD 10-release.

Everything is working nicely, but I noticed a strange (to me) CPU core utilization pattern under macos compared to normal BSD. It seems that CPU0 is used significantly more (unevenly) - judging visually by the core graph in activity monitor. In BSD the distribution of spikes/load lines seem to be more even across the cores... In macos the heavy favor to the first core is very apparent...

So my question is - is this something to be expected (macos distributes the load across 16 cores in this way intentionally)?

- Or this is a feature of the activity monitor?

- Or this is not normal and I should do something additional to "fix" this?

thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say is normal, I'd also bet that core is kicked up more power wise, vs other cores. 

are you using XCPM too? Steam game rust can eat up all 6 of my cores entirely on X99 similar platform. 

Currently I see CPU0 is doing either most work or least. When it is doing most, often no hyperthreading cores (If OS X skips like CPU1 should be HT, CPU2 a real core etc) when it does least it is completely idle and everything else kicks up. This just goes in a pattern.

I have no XCPM working at the moment, I'll see if changes later on.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you.

No, I am on asrock c602 which does not have xcpm i understand (right?)

actually after fully enabling power management (piker script) it seems that all cores are used - especially visible when compiling...

So I think the cpu0 spikes/higher usage was likely to the fact that my PM was not fully working...