My NVME Patriot Hellfire is all over the place on performance

1 post in this topic

I have been struggling with my Hellfire NVME 240gb ever since I got it. First, my "link speed" kept showing as X2, and found out it was my worthless m.2 10/gbs port, so I ordered a X4 gen 3 PCIe adapter. After installing it, it was still slow, then had to mess around with bios settings (there are like 10 settings dealing with pcie speeds, its a nightmare). Then, after I got the perfect arrangement of pcie slots and devices, it worked, but it never showed the full speed (its supposed to be like 2700 write 2900 read). I was only getting like 1700 write and 2400 read. It was still better than sata, so I lived with it. Also, my performance wasnt noticeably different than my previous sata drive, so that was also angering. I thought this would allow a literal 1-2 second boot in from pressing the power button (like people on windows were saying they could do with this drive), but it still took about 20 seconds from power on to desktop, like it did on sata SSD. After some time, I ran some more speed tests, and my write speeds were dwindling. it got to teh point where it was like 900-1100 write for like a month, and then it go as low as 250 write (the read has always been above 2200). This caused me to tae my computer apart, rehackintosh, brand new install, etc, to get the iron out any possible kink, then my speed was back up to 1100-1300 write (miles away from the advertised and paid for 2500 write), so I kept tweaking, changing bios settings etc. Now today, it showed a write speed of about 120 (WTF), so i worked on it again for more hours, and then realized that the testing and results are all over the place, it goes like this:

1) first boot up and speed test (using blackmagic speed test and AJA), shows about 124 write speed and sometimes even a low read of like 700.

2) if i wait a bit and test again without rebooting, it will go up. Sometimes as high as like 1300/2300.

3) then if i switch test app, it will go to something else, like 700/1300 write read.

This keeps happening. The first test after a bootup is always slow as hell, then random tests afterwards are better at varying results. WTF is going on with my nvme drive? Also, sometimes it will give a good result instantaneously as soon as i click the test button, but other times the speeds have to "rev up" very slowly (it may take like 6 seconds to rev up from 120 to 1300 write speed as the test is ongoing). why the F does the speed have to rev up? That kind of defeats the purpose. If it takes 5 seconds to reach full speed, it will still perform like a non-nvme drive 99 percent of the time. What is going on guys? Is it a bad nvme drive? Is it a bad motherboard? is it a bad pcie card? Is it a back hackintosh/clover work? Is it a bad bios setting? Is this how it performs for everyone?