Creative CA0132 (Sound Blaster Z series) patch for AppleHDA, VoodooHDA or AppleALC request

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys, since the creative CA0132 chip, mounted on some motherboards, is now compatible with mac using apple alc, i am asking why it should not working with the same chip on a sound blaster z series card, so i want to ask to the developer of the most used sound driver here to add support for this chip on a sound blaster z series card, i'd like to use that card with my hackintosh, up to now the only thing that can be got to work is the input on the rear with voodoo hda, so i invite you to do that because it is possible, you have already done it with the new 200 series motherboards.

Note that i an not an owner of one of that cards, but i will get one of them if the support will be added in the driver (i prefer that this support will be added to apple alc since i am using it in my machine)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

You're doing an awesome job, man, thank you so much for all the effort.

I've built a decent workstation based on https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-9-rev-10#kfand it has SoundBlaster ZxRi. It uses  CA0132 codec as far as i know. So far very little success trying to start it up, the only kext that made the thing work was AppleALC project, but the sound works on max settings from only one rear output and there are no volume controls.

I've discovered your work on youtube - well, damn :) - and right now I'm going to the store to pick up Audigy RX (sb1550), the one your kext works with. I'll tell you the results :)

I'm a developer myself, c/c++, never worked on drivers, however. Maybe i could be of some help to your efforts? Anyways, it would be super awesome to make CA0132 work at some point. Check out my mobo specs by the link above, it looks like a fine piece of sound equipment. Worth trying to make it work i think

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've built a decent workstation based on https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-9-rev-10#kfand it has SoundBlaster ZxRi. It uses  CA0132 codec as far as i know. So far very little success trying to start it up, the only kext that made the thing work was AppleALC project, but the sound works on max settings from only one rear output and there are no volume controls.

I've discovered your work on youtube - well, damn :) - and right now I'm going to the store to pick up Audigy RX (sb1550), the one your kext works with. I'll tell you the results :)

I'm a developer myself, c/c++, never worked on drivers, however. Maybe i could be of some help to your efforts? Anyways, it would be super awesome to make CA0132 work at some point. Check out my mobo specs by the link above, it looks like a fine piece of sound equipment. Worth trying to make it work i think

i have forgot to answer to your post, thank you to appreciate my work, i like to collect sound cards and for my job i am a developer on apple platforms, using apple alc for the sound blaster cards is not the best since the driver is for patching the sound driver that come with mac os, the pcie cards uses the chip in a different way, so we need something to set the pci properties to get it working with apple alc like the on board audio, with things like hack the pcie registers and putting the card to be fully working with apple alc (that dose an excellent job, the audio with that kext is clean and works well on supported cards), for the audigy rx the bad thing abut the kx audio driver is that for now only output works, but they works fine, even when you manually set the card in 7.1 mode, but i still need to add proper support for the front audio header and for the dac, it is a lot of work and i need to find also some sources of a linux driver to take a look and see what they have done, and also it needs some more proper pcie initialization to get commands like volume change to work with less latency, i am also checking out other audio solutions like the cmi8738 based cards, because they are really cheap anche can be decente replacements for non working on board audio

• Like 1

The AppleALC.kext should work with layout-id 4,5,6. If not upload your IOReg dump.

the pcie cards uses the chip in a different way, so we need something to set the pci properties to get it working with apple alc like the on board audio, with things like hack the pcie registers and putting the card to be fully working with apple alc

Do you have more informations about PCIe cards and AppleHDA?, soon i will get a PCIe card from a work buddy.

The AppleALC.kext should work with layout-id 4,5,6. If not upload your IOReg dump.

Do you have more informations about PCIe cards and AppleHDA?, soon i will get a PCIe card from a work buddy.

i was talking about the sound blaster z series, and as usual in many expansion cards that uses the same chip used also in some motherboards, the chip is used differently, some pci registers can also be set differently by default, i don't know much abut that cards, so i have created this thread to ask that, if could be made to work or fully work that card

i was talking about the sound blaster z series, and as usual in many expansion cards that uses the same chip used also in some motherboards, the chip is used differently, some pci registers can also be set differently by default, i don't know much abut that cards, so i have created this thread to ask that, if could be made to work or fully work that card

I expect that the ACPI device name "HDEF" and a faked controller device ID could do the trick, including the AppleHDA patches. The class code should be 040300, I thought you have already tried it.

Hi guys, sorry for interruption.

I have the Sound Blaster Z card, so I wonder if is there anything I can help with.  

for now the only thing is to use apple alc kext + lilu kext and there are no audio controls and only one channel should work as reported by rimzz

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, jubarim said:

Hi ITzTravelInTime, do you think cmi8738 based boards have a better support than the sound blasters (supported by your driver)?

i dont think so, the driver is quite old and i failed to create a version improved for more recent mac os versions and inputs on that does not works too and the only output working is the main output with the kx audio driver instaed you can use almost all the outputs of a sound blaster, and also not all the 8738 card are going to work with drivers you can find, some, like the pcie versions does not works, maybe the only thing which the cmi8738 could do better on mac os is the support for multiple frequencies, something that the kx audio driver still lacks (but i am working on it) and also the kx audio driver is not made me, is modifyed by me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

i dont think so, the driver is quite old and i failed to create a version improved for more recent mac os versions and inputs on that does not works too and the only output working is the main output with the kx audio driver instaed you can use almost all the outputs of a sound blaster, and also not all the 8738 card are going to work with drivers you can find, some, like the pcie versions does not works, maybe the only thing which the cmi8738 could do better on mac os is the support for multiple frequencies, something that the kx audio driver still lacks (but i am working on it) and also the kx audio driver is not made me, is modifyed by me.

I see! I will stick with the kx :-) Thanks very much for the info.

• 9 months later...
On 8/16/2017 at 8:05 AM, ITzTravelInTime said:

for now the only thing is to use apple alc kext + lilu kext and there are no audio controls and only one channel should work as reported by rimzz

I have Sound Blaster Zx (SB1506), with AppleALC or VoodooHDA doesn't work :( Is there any solution, please?? 

• 1 year later...

I don't suppose there were ever any further developments on this?

I've just reinstated my old Hac for safety's sake while I try and upgrade my current one to Mojave.

My old one I've managed to tweak up to High Sierra but woukd love to use the inputs on my audigy card - especially the front panel - with it!

I've added your kext and the poutput works great but would be nice for the inputs too - if there is any chane of that being possible?

Many Thanks!

10 hours ago, Northwinds said:

I don't suppose there were ever any further developments on this?

I've just reinstated my old Hac for safety's sake while I try and upgrade my current one to Mojave.

My old one I've managed to tweak up to High Sierra but woukd love to use the inputs on my audigy card - especially the front panel - with it!

I've added your kext and the poutput works great but would be nice for the inputs too - if there is any chane of that being possible?

Many Thanks!

Hi to discuss about the audigy and the other related 10kx sound cards, go to the discussion about the kx audio driver mod