Split Storage HDD for W10 / Sierra

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I currently run Sierra on my PC and I got one question : 

I would like to split my Storage HDD in two partitions (one for Sierra, one for windows 10). Actually my configuration is : SSD 128go (Sierra), SSD 128go (W10) and 1To Storage HDD (no partition and used by windows only).

Can I split my HDD in two Partitions in Windows 10, then reboot into Sierra and open diskutil to format the partition created so it can be used by MacOS ?

Hello,

I currently run Sierra on my PC and I got one question : 

I would like to split my Storage HDD in two partitions (one for Sierra, one for windows 10). Actually my configuration is : SSD 128go (Sierra), SSD 128go (W10) and 1To Storage HDD (no partition and used by windows only).

Can I split my HDD in two Partitions in Windows 10, then reboot into Sierra and open diskutil to format the partition created so it can be used by MacOS ?

I will describe to you the way I do it:

1) Install macOS Sierra as usual (one whole partition).

2) Open Disk Utility, click "Partition" on your macOS HDD, add the desired Windows partition as Mac OS Extended, Journaled (yes, really).

3) Boot from your Windows Installation USB, but be careful: Boot from your "EFI" or "Partition 1" USB on BIOS, this will make the Windows Installer boot in UEFI mode.

4) Choose Windows customized installation, where your HDD's are listed.

5) Click on top of the Windows defined partition you created earlier and click "Delete".

6) Now install Windows on the same unformatted partition as usual.

finally:

7) Windows will boot by default on most BIOS after the installation. If you want to boot Clover first, change the booting order by selecting the EFI partition of your HDD on BIOS.

Hey !

First, thanks for your answer ! I may be misunderstanding (I'm not English) but the tutorial you give is to install MacOS and Sierra on the same HDD ?

Because actually the two of them are installed on their proper SSD, I just want to split my HDD to make 500go of storage for each OS :)

Thanks and sorry if I didn't understand well !

Hey !

First, thanks for your answer ! I may be misunderstanding (I'm not English) but the tutorial you give is to install MacOS and Sierra on the same HDD ?

Because actually the two of them are installed on their proper SSD, I just want to split my HDD to make 500go of storage for each OS :)

Thanks and sorry if I didn't understand well !

Oh yeah, I misunderstood then! It's much simpler:

1) Partition your drive from Disk Utility as one partition for macOS Extended, and one as FAT for Windows.

2) Then, within Windows just format the FAT partition as NTFS.

• Like 1

Indeed, you should he able to downsize the existing partition through Win Disk Management tool and then create a 2nd one. You'll format that new partition from OS X with DU.

All right thank you !

PS : Vive la Bretagne ! Cordialement un Breton du 56.