Which kernel is recommended for use?

Guest BuildSmart

61 posts in this topic

I experinced many issues with mifki's kernel and switched to the other one sicne it offers great support via the IRC channel.

About this is more modded issue, why not use semthex sources and build your own? It also has just latest base patches applied and just some minor changes regarding compatibility which work very nice.

Btw. I don't understand this childish behaviour bashing other kernel for personal issues.

I read with much interest the comments about good and not so good results with the new kernel releases.

I just finished several attempts using the latest Jas 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 patched iso release. I double checked the MD5/SHA1 codes from the ISO and they matched exactly those posted here in another thread. My results were far from good or usable. You may check my sig specs to see the hardware I used.

I have an Intel based 845 board in an IBM ThinkCentre 8183 system. I upgraded the CPU to an Intel Prescot with HTT SSE2 SSE3 support. My internal hard drive is partitioned with 3 primary partitions. One for maintenance & repair, one for normal use and one for testing. All my data, add-on apps and backup images are kept on external USB & firewire drives.

My first 3 install attempts were to the cleanly erased test partition. I tried both kernels. The install went fine, but the reboot never got past showing darwin and then it would reboot again.

Next, I cleaned my maintenance partition - the first one physically - and installed there. Using the mifki kernel it continued the reboot cycle. Using the semthex kernel the system would boot, but not much worked. There was no USB support of any kind even though I had installed the USB patch. There was no functional ethernet support. My system uses the RTL8169 extension.

The about this mac stopped crashing when I used the loginwindow patch. The system profiler could not provide the hardware information - i consider that a minor problem.

I tried a few of the suggested fixes I found in the forum. None of them worked for me - or I didn't install them correctly - not sure which.

I restored the backup for my maintenance partition - a jas-10.4.7-install-iso system.

I really appreciate all the hard work you folks are putting into this project. However, I will need to wait until things mature a bit.

I prefer kernel of maxxuss today, better takes to the fast machine and everything fine work. I think that the guys of the fruit put impediments in the systems stops modifiyng, and this require an effort very big, for that reason I support and think to contribute with comunity in which I can.

I thought that Semthex is SSE3

Mikfi SSE2

Well, I have SE3 and HPET but i installed Semthex. Until now no problems with Semthex. Never tried Mifki before so I am happy that my hackintosh is up and running regardless of its kernel :)

Thank you guys

I have Mikfi and is running fine and tested Semthex and it didnt gave me any problem , they have done a great work .

Sometimes we blame to the kernel but all we need is to investigate, learn , wiki , forums, irc, google , etc .. so we learn how to fix the problem and I have found in occasions that when i first thought that the problem was the kernel in fact was another issue .

so for my DESKPTOP 1 system which one is better? semthex or mifki? ... those are the two available on JaS 10.4.8

DESKTOP 1: Asus P5B-E, CORE 2 Duo 6400 w/ nVidia 7600GT 256MB

It's a P965 chipset with ICH8R.

i have very similar hardware (check my sig). I am having stuttering problems right now which is really annoying, and i refuse to run with a single core (cpus=1). Which kernel should i use? I am currently running the Semthex kernel off the JaS install dvd 10.4.8.

thanks

I agree with Buildsmart, most of the reason i use a hacki is for 3d and other work, id liek to use it as my main OS but with most of the problems it has (hw registering, sleep, etc etc) i find myslef still usign the old kernel for some tasks, until someone can correct such issues i am sticking with 10.4.4.

And i do not believe that Buildsmart posted this to "get even" with semthex, that is just stupid and unprofessional, there is a problem in the kernels and it needs to be addressed, at least somebody actually took the initiative and informed the rest of the community about it.

P.S: Great work semthex and mifki

Hi Tommy

I got some good news for you

by Jan 2007 Intel will price the Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 2M cache Model 631 only for US$69

This Pentium 4 is based on 65nm process and it TDP is only 65 watts

Since your setup can try both Kernel

I Hopes Other will upgrade to run both kernel like you

Katmail

Hi Tommy

I got some good news for you

by Jan 2007 Intel will price the Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 2M cache Model 631 only for US$69

This Pentium 4 is based on 65nm process and it TDP is only 65 watts

Since your setup can try both Kernel

I Hopes Other will upgrade to run both kernel like you

Katmail

that's good new, i hope intel release BIOS update for my D915GUX to support Cedar Mills, right now it only support Prescott (base on info i got from their web site.

i want to get the board that support up to Core 2 Duo but i'm tight on budget.

i appreciate your info Katmail :D

Guest goodtime
I've been testing the kernels as they have become available for testing and I must say that installing the semthex kernel is not recommended if you want things to work properly.

The semthex kernel seems to be very unstable, the ipod isn't registering so ipodrip can't find it, ethernet doesn't register which has it's own set of problems, they finally got the video and USB to register consistantly but anything using the FlexLM license system wont run and Maya doesn't run either, it's got problems with the clock slew rate and the AMD users have reported all kinds of quirks (to many to list), the hardcoded indetification claims ACPI and some software that needs to adjust for the hardware pukes because it claims the hardware is unsupported.

Overall, at this point I have to recommend using the vitaly kernel until someone else comes along and generates a better kernel that actually works properly.

Are you sure that this is a kernel problem and not a Driver problem?

Used Mifki and Semthex for 10.4.8. OpenGL flies with Semthex and I was able to get USB Audio, Networking with NetGear and Yukon Cards, and GMA900 video drivers with Both Kernels. 915GUX Mobo. Very Stable 10.4.8 and it was from the 1st JaS DVD Release. I installed the JaS Release on top of my old 10.4.8/10.4.4 Kernel system after a week of testing the new kernels on a USB drive.

It's great having a choice! Thanks to both! :)

I switched to a complete 10.4.8 System and don't plan on looking back. I might use the old kernel for an Emergency Boot and Restore CD/DVD. That's it.

GT

Just a fast Reply on my kernel Setup.

Semthex = sound was choppy, time does not work right for me, Gui seem to be sluggish, even his Beta build for AMD/Intel.

Mifki = System was slow, everything seems to work ok, but Slow.

Vitaly = Everything works well, system is fast, sound works with no bugs, Gui is very quick.

Now this is just going off MY HARDWARE only, Just stating what works best for my system only.

Just a fast Reply on my kernel Setup.

Semthex = sound was choppy, time does not work right for me, Gui seem to be sluggish, even his Beta build for AMD/Intel.

Mifki = System was slow, everything seems to work ok, but Slow.

Vitaly = Everything works well, system is fast, sound works with no bugs, Gui is very quick.

Now this is just going off MY HARDWARE only, Just stating what works best for my system only.

Damn, now I'm confused I thought Mifki=Vitaly...

My English is really bad so even I read the guide about HPET & NX, I still don't know fully about HPET & NX

So... I have one stupid question:

My spec:

Main: Gigabyte GA-8IK1100(Rev 2.x) 875P (ICH5R) (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1719)

Chip: P4-Prescott 3.0G, bus800, 1Mb cache

Please help me to know my system is supported HPET and NX or not?

Thank you very much!

I've tryed both kernels since the beginning, Mifki / Vitality and semthex, both guys are amazing, both users made our dream come true after maxxuss left us, I would like to thank both for their hard work.

About mifki's kernel the only two bad things that I've found:

-Logitech drivers hangs OSX so you have to use semthex kernel or format because when logitech LCC is installed you can't even load single user mode.

- Semthex has more bugs when it was released first but he has made a great job and is fixing most of them because he believe in our OSX86 community, he's not selfish, everybody that has been in the #kernel channel know how great is him :(

- Mifki's also great, he offered what he promised so thanks mifki as well.

As I said before thanks guys for your help, thanks for made our dream come true :)

Last night I reinstalled my system. After my initial bad experiences with the mifki kernel I didn't bother with it anymore. However, since I learned a few tricks since starting out with OSX86, I decided to try the mifki kernel again.

My conclusion is now that everything works as well as the Semthex kernel on my system. In terms of functionality and stability (what works and what doesn't) I see absolutely no difference.

My system does feel more responsive with Mifki's kernel, however xBench does not back this up with numbers: without the disk tests, they both score between 151 and 152.

So, for me, apart from the apparently subjective impression of a more responsive system with Mifki, there's no benefit of either one over the other.

System:

ConRoe945G-DVI, e6300, 2x512MB 667, 2x sata & 1x ide, OnBoard AMG950, OnBoard Gbit RealTek NIC, Surround sound (5.1) USB Medusa Headset, USB mouse & (Sun) keyboard.

Rogn

My English is really bad so even I read the guide about HPET & NX, I still don't know fully about HPET & NX

So... I have one stupid question:

My spec:

Main: Gigabyte GA-8IK1100(Rev 2.x) 875P (ICH5R) (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1719)

Chip: P4-Prescott 3.0G, bus800, 1Mb cache

Please help me to know my system is supported HPET and NX or not?

Thank you very much!

Please help me...

I experinced many issues with mifki's kernel and switched to the other one sicne it offers great support via the IRC channel.

About this is more modded issue, why not use semthex sources and build your own? It also has just latest base patches applied and just some minor changes regarding compatibility which work very nice.

Btw. I don't understand this childish behaviour bashing other kernel for personal issues.

While this might come off as a bright suggestion on your part it's not possible because semthex has not released his source to the general public or even to those here so no one can use his source to generate a customized kernel if they wanted to which by the way I'd love to try just for the sake of trying so when the source does actually become available maybe semthex and DaemonES would be kind enough to post their sources.

Bashing other kernels for personal issues, I think you are mistaken and are listening to too much gossip, that suggested issue will never be resolved because there is no place where both parties can stand on even ground and hash it out, there is too much bias and preferentual treatment here and on the irc, the channel owner has displayed he can dish it out but can't take it.

My opinion is that most programmers are childish to begin with and they both need to apologize to each other but fat chance of either of them being man enouigh to do it buy hey, I could be wrong and lightning could strke me twice.

Any way, this discussion is supposed to be about current kernels (available for testing) and recommendations based on their functionality, let's please keep it on that topic and leave the petty {censored} at the door.