Which kernel is recommended for use?

Guest BuildSmart

61 posts in this topic

Guest BuildSmart

I've been testing the kernels as they have become available for testing and I must say that installing the semthex kernel is not recommended if you want things to work properly.

The semthex kernel seems to be very unstable, the ipod isn't registering so ipodrip can't find it, ethernet doesn't register which has it's own set of problems, they finally got the video and USB to register consistantly but anything using the FlexLM license system wont run and Maya doesn't run either, it's got problems with the clock slew rate and the AMD users have reported all kinds of quirks (to many to list), the hardcoded indetification claims ACPI and some software that needs to adjust for the hardware pukes because it claims the hardware is unsupported.

Overall, at this point I have to recommend using the vitaly kernel until someone else comes along and generates a better kernel that actually works properly.

Overall, at this point I have to recommend using the vitaly kernel until someone else comes along and generates a better kernel that actually works properly.

Actually the Mifki kernel works just fine here, it is the only one I have used, very few problems with the first JaS release, and zero issues with the second one.

i've made the same question in many 3d on the forum, but no reply.

I have intel sse3 cpu and intel chipped m/b (just read my sign) and tried with semthex and first iso release with few bugs (the most common but easy to fix), instead with mifki my system reboot in cycle.

Maybe i made something wrong during installation.

For the moment i'm downloading the second release and i'm far to finish it, but when i'll use it, what i have to do: no selection of any kernel package, installation of iso then installation of one of the two kernel (how?), change of parameters such as mach_kernel etc.. or setting fsb and so on (i have oc cpu using 220 fsb and in system profile i see 880 bus, so it already works?).

If there is an installation guide for a clean and native installation of 10.4.8 + new kernel without vmware (i have a separated hard disk only for mac osx86), please let me know where here in the forum or elsewhere.

Thank you and bye!

The other way around for me. The mifki kernel caused all sorts of weird problems that could not be solved and made OSX basically useless on my system.

The issues I had with Semthex kernel were stuttering, fast clock, Quicktime, all of which have been easily solved now.

So, I'd recommend Semthex, and to stay away from the Mifki kernel for now.

Rogn

I've been testing the kernels as they have become available for testing and I must say that installing the semthex kernel is not recommended if you want things to work properly.

The semthex kernel seems to be very unstable, the ipod isn't registering so ipodrip can't find it, ethernet doesn't register which has it's own set of problems, they finally got the video and USB to register consistantly but anything using the FlexLM license system wont run and Maya doesn't run either, it's got problems with the clock slew rate and the AMD users have reported all kinds of quirks (to many to list), the hardcoded indetification claims ACPI and some software that needs to adjust for the hardware pukes because it claims the hardware is unsupported.

I have to step in here and say that for the things I use os x for,thats surfing the web,packing packages,playing games and the usual stuff,I have not had any issues with Sethex's kernel,I have used it from the start and its a great kernel imo.

I know you and him have your issues,I just think venting in this way is the wrong way to go about it.

Not fun at all.

semthex changed many things in his kernel in order to make it work on different hardware.

so if you have modern hw (hpet, sse3) it's of course better to use my kernel because it's less modified and more stable. note that some people think that they don't have hpet while they actually has (eg. intel 845-based boards with ich5)

semthex, don't speak about personal reasons - your current status mostly because of good relationship with other nice guys here.

semthex changed many things in his kernel in order to make it work on different hardware.

so if you have modern hw (hpet, sse3) it's of course better to use my kernel because it's less modified and more stable. note that some people think that they don't have hpet while they actually has (eg. intel 845-based boards with ich5)

semthex, don't speak about personal reasons - your current status mostly because of good relationship with other nice guys here.

If you have a new build of your kernel I would love to test it out,I wont make it public.I just like to know I am using the best kernel for my hardware,only thing is if you do have one for me I need you to include the no nx patch.Not sure if you made your kernel auto detect nx and use it like semthex did.

I only have the older release from you nx + hpet

So hook me up and let me test it out.I am all about whats best for the community.

If you have a new build of your kernel I would love to test it out,I wont make it public.I just like to know I am using the best kernel for my hardware,only thing is if you do have one for me I need you to include the no nx patch.Not sure if you made your kernel auto detect nx and use it like semthex did.

I only have the older release from you nx + hpet

So hook me up and let me test it out.I am all about whats best for the community.

I already posted nonx kernel some time ago in some thread

here's the link again http://www.filefactory.com/file/f3c2a8/

I don't think I'll release any more patches because currently my kernel works well on appropriate hardware and this was my aim from the beginning.

of course semthex's kernel is better for people who don't have hpet or sse3 or intel cpu and he's more popular because he satisfies more people. but I really don't see reason to use it for people who have modern hardware so I'm going to leave my kernel as is for them.

now kernel is hacked, this process is documented. I proved to myself and everybody that I can quickly hack it and anybody is free to continue this work and modify it for any other platforms, release update packages and so on.

but for me it's time to move to other things :sorcerer:

I don't think I'll release any more patches because currently my kernel works well on appropriate hardware and this was my aim from the beginning.

of course semthex's kernel is better for people who don't have hpet or sse3 or intel cpu. but I really don't see reason to use it for people who have modern hardware so I'm going to leave my kernel as is for them.

now kernel is hacked, this process is documented. I proved to myself and everybody that I can hack it and anybody is free to continue this work and modify it for any other platforms but for me it's time to move to other things :sorcerer:

Great , thanks.I didn't think you will be releasing anymore patches.I have been so busy with my own work.I missed your no nx kernel. I will give it a try.

anybody is free to continue this work and modify it for any other platforms, release update packages and so on.

but for me it's time to move to other things :whistle:

Vitality,

Please could you upload the source code for the latest version? ;)

Thank you again for your effort and contribution!!!

Even though it may not be my place to do this, but I kindly ask everyone involved to make sure your postings are in the best interest of the OSX86 community. Too much fighting going on in the world already.

Misleading pple because of a grudge clearly is not in the best interest of the OSX86 community.

@BuildSmart, I wasn't aware of your quarrel with Semthex, which is why I was very surprised by your advise, which is the oposite to my own experiences with both kernels.

Rogn

yeh my semthex kernel install is pretty solid really, its just minor niggles that should be easy to iron out in time. Im just happy to finally have a 100% fully supported system on my amd and nvidia box :whistle:

The only real issues I have that are not older bugs presernt in earlier installs are slightly stuttering sound with system sounds and when 2 sound splay at the same time and the clock lag.

Video playback is 100% ok here.

well, it's nice to see the 3 guru here and all we must thanks them for their work!

altough i have intel 875p chipset, there is no hpet mention on the motherboard manual, i think there is not a bios voice to enable it, but i will try anyway using both kernel, then i will keep the functioning one.

i'm not afraid re-re-re-installing the os, i did it so many times!!! :whistle:

oohh! you don't understand me! I said I respect their work!

i didn't say i don't like something, i'm only trying to understand what is more compatible with my system in order to save time and avoid re-re-re-installing, because i have very few skills with osx86, but i like to learn from others to try myself, i've done this on win os, now i apply on mac.

I hope you misunderstood what i said.

Bye.

P.S. i'm not english, so apologize if my grammar is not correct.

Using semthex here on two Laptops (lsd v2)! Works great, no issues so far. mifki gave me some kernel panics on one laptop (not with v3), also nonx support has just been added. Of course, you should try both, as Vitaly is right, saying less modification have been made. But for any Hardware making touble (HPET for example) you should use semthex. Both are available with r*d* inside (lsd and v3)!

No kernel is actually better, they are just for differnet use...

So finally THANK YOU semthex and Vitaliy for BOTH KERNELS!!!

No kernel is actually better, they are just for differnet use...

So finally THANK YOU semthex and Vitaliy for BOTH KERNELS!!!

I second your opinion very well said :)