4K mini Kaby hackintosh, please checkup!

4 posts in this topic

Ahoy there!

I am looking at building my first vanilla hackintosh to drive a 4K display over Displayport.

Requirements for me are; speed, performance but not gaming.
I do realize I included a -K CPU, but the base clock of that model is far larger than the non-K version. (4.2Ghz vs 3.6Ghz)

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K

MOBO/Case/PSU: AsRock Deskmini 110
Memory: Crucial CT16G4SFD824A
NVMe (PCI): Samsung 960 EVO 500GB

Bluetooth/Wifi: to be determined

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Kexts I would certainly need:

- FakeSMC ; to let it think I run genuine apple hardware

Fake CPUID ; to let it think I run Skylake instead of Kaby Lake

FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext ; to let it think I run Skylake graphics

'Skylake Glitch Fix' (AAPL,GfxYTile) ; no clue why

- VoodooHDA ; to let sound work (I think) AppleALC: native apple audio for non-apple hardware

IONVMeFamily.kext ; from macos, to let NVMe work at boot.

• Like 2

Ahoy there!

I am looking at building my first vanilla hackintosh to drive a 4K display over Thunderbolt.

Requirements for me are; speed, performance but not gaming.

I do realize I included a -K CPU, but the base clock of that model is far larger than the non-K version. (4.2Ghz vs 3.6Ghz)

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K

MOBO/Case/PSU: AsRock Deskmini 110

Memory: Crucial CT16G4SFD824A

NVMe (PCI): Samsung 960 EVO 500GB

Bluetooth/Wifi: to be determined

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Kexts I would certainly need:

- FakeSMC ; to let it think I run genuine apple hardware

Fake CPUID ; to let it think I run Skylake instead of Kaby Lake

FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext ; to let it think I run Skylake graphics

'Skylake Glitch Fix' (AAPL,GfxYTile) ; no clue why

- VoodooHDA ; to let sound work (I think)

IONVMeFamily.kext ; from macos, to let NVMe work at boot.

I think you got all the basics figured out, but in practice maybe you'll come across a couple of obstacles that could be resolved with a little research (usually settings on config.plist). I would only change VoodooHDA to AppleALC, Lilu combination kexts.

Best of luck and skills!

yeah, the basics (kexts plus settings) look fine BUT how do you drive your display? Your mainboard seems to have USB-C but that doesn't mean it has Thunderbolt support - and even if it had Thunderbolt - do you know if the HD630 can drive a 4K display? ASRock claims that the video output has to be either VGA, HDMI or DisplayPort...

• Like 1

yeah, the basics (kexts plus settings) look fine BUT how do you drive your display? Your mainboard seems to have USB-C but that doesn't mean it has Thunderbolt support - and even if it had Thunderbolt - do you know if the HD630 can drive a 4K display? ASRock claims that the video output has to be either VGA, HDMI or DisplayPort...

Thanks! My mistake, I meant Displayport.  :)

I think you got all the basics figured out, but in practice maybe you'll come across a couple of obstacles that could be resolved with a little research (usually settings on config.plist). I would only change VoodooHDA to AppleALC, Lilu combination kexts.

Best of luck and skills!

Thank you! AppleALC doesn't mention adding support for other chipsets, so I assume the Realtek ALC283 is natively supported?

• Like 1