Attempting to get USB3 working on Gigabyte X99 Designaire EX

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So recently upgraded my motherboard and wanted to get USB3 working in Sierra. I am attempting to follow this guide here by @mfc88 (edit: can you tag users here?) : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/313296-guide-mac-osx-1012-with-x99-broadwell-e-family-and-haswell-e-family/?p=2354822

However I am stuck at step 4 which asks you to map your ports to HSxx and SPxx....

• edit update: My primary problem now (after MaLd0n helped me get SSP shoing in IOReg) is that when plugging in a USB3 device only one port maps to the SSP locations, none of the others do.
  • When opening my DSDT in Rehabmans maciASL I see the HS01-HS14 and SSP1-SSP6
  • When looking under XHCI in IORegistryExplorer I still see HS01-HS14, but I only see SSP1-SSP2, this prevents me from mapping the USB3 ports, as they dont show up here Solved - Thanks MaLd0n
  • If I do a System Report and look in the USB 3 Bus for a location ID of a plugged in item I can find it, but if I search for this ID in IOReg it is not there.  
  • It is possible I have something else interfering as I used a EFI/Clover folder from someone else's build (he didn't have USB3 working either). However I have removed the FakePCIID kexts to work on this guide.
  • The guide asks you to disable XHCI handoff, however OSX will not boot with this disabled and hangs at HDA Enabler in verbose, or if I remove HDA kexts at Thunderbolt runtime power conservation
  • I can get SSP1 to activate - one of the USB ports maps to this, and when I have a USB3 device plugged into it it works at USB3 speeds. - There is a USB3.1 port which also works at USB3/3.1 speeds but does not show up under XHCI.
  • I have wires plugged into both USB3 headers on the motherboard so I can check all ports.
  • This motherboard also has a Renesas controller on it.

I have attached my dsdt (from Clover f4) and clover .plist for reference,

Any help or direction greatly appreciated :)

DSDT_plist.zip

• Like 1

Ok, thanks I have done that.

I now see up to SSP6 in IOReg, however none of them register a connected device apart from SSP1 (as before) when connecting a USB device to the ports.

In the guide liked above mfc88 instructs to go through each port listing the HS and SSP of each port when plugging in USB3 and 2 devices, however as they dont show up in SSP I cant do this?

I have read through this before, but I am not always sure I am reading things correctly, and I am not sure how that info page relates to why connected devices do not show up against SSP.

The USB Inject all info in that link deals with using eHCI locations which the post I was following from mfc88 does not.

I dont really know how to proceed at all :/

Now all solved, thanks very much to Rehabman, MaLd0n and mfc88 for their guidance:

Ok, so I have USB3 and Thunderbolt working now which is everything working apart from Wireless (which is currently not possible), for Thunderbolt you may well need to log in to Windows first to update the drivers.
BIOS settings (important)
Peripherals>Intel Thunderbolt
Security Level - Legacy Mode
Peripherals -
Legacy USB Support - Enabled
XHCI Hand-off - Enabled
EHCI Hand-off - Enabled
Chipset-
XHCI mode - Auto

Then put these two files in your Clover>ACPI>patched.
I'm not 100%up on how SSDT works between boards, but I assume the exact same board will have all the exact same assignments for ports so the attached SSDT's should work.

For reference here are some pics of my patched folder and kexts folder in Clover and patches in my plist from Clover Configurator, as I have added and removed stuff since the original install.

cEbHCj8.png
f60VltZ.png
6ynKn9y.png
0AcVLit.png

SSDTs.zip

U dont need AppleHda in Clover folder

U dont need realtekAlc

U dont need Hdef SSDT

U dont need Apple|Hda patches in config.plist

U dont need Xosi patch, Alza to Hdef

use it and remove XHC SSDT, dont need SSDT to inject simple patch into DSDT, just edit DSDT ;)

DSDT.ID XHC.zip

post ur full Clover folder here