macOS on Hyper-V

21 posts in this topic

Hello, I am trying to install mac OS X on Hyper-V with Windows 10 Host. Can it be done? Does Hyper-V Manager have an unlocker? Should I use an ISO? I am a member of Apple's Beta Software Program and I would like to use my macOS Sierra on a VM. I know you can do it on VMware and Virtual Box but I havent found anything on Hyper-V. Can anyone help? Please respond. Thanks

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/19/2021 at 5:20 AM, punjabigator said:

There is a possibility now use Hyper-V on Windows 10 using OpenCore. I tried a couple of ideas but did not go far enough. Any ideas are welcome. not sure how to use OpenCore to boot Hyver-V. Here is the link to Hyver-V kext https://github.com/acidanthera/MacHyperVSupport

You realize this thread is FOUR years old, yes? :) 

• Like 1

And what difference it makes how old the thread is, if there never was a solution to it!?

And now it seems to be at least a potential.

Well done for spotting it!

Time to test

• Sad 1

Sadly failed miserably. First I had same error that I described in another thread : Start Image Failed - Aborted

Went through all the possible "suggestions". None made any difference.

It will need somebody more experienced to get it going

OCB aborted.PNG

Then re-created installer.vhdx (a bit confusing process: on Mac create USB installer from Catalina.app, use SuperDuper to create image from USB (Diskutil cannot do it, it seems), use Diskutil to convert the .dmg to read-write dmg, then do the required qemu-img convert -f raw -O vhdx Installer.dmg Installer.vhdx)

Add EFI folder to EFI partition and now I get stuck on

Catalina-HV.PNG

Edited by sebus
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen it work using Acidanthera's MacHyperVSupport. It's generally a pretty barebones setup. Just need VirtualSMC.kext and MacHyperVSupport.kext. There are some additional info given under the readme for that kext as well.
If your on an AMD host though, it requires the AMD patches plus an additional one, since a lot of the CPUID info is passed through from the host.

I haven't quite managed it on my AMD system yet. Recovery boots fine, but all my internet recovery installs fail at varying points so it's kinda confusing where it's failing on my end.

Edited by 1Revenger1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've gotten it working on my desktop. Some things to keep in mind:
1) Some of the SSDTs have ACPI patches - make sure to read the headers on these before compiling.
2) AMD desktops require an extra patch in addition to many of the other normal AMD-OSX patches.

3) MacHyperVSupportMonterey replaces MacHyperVSupport on newer versions of macOS.

I went the internet recovery route. I used disk management to create a VHD which was about ~1GB big. It contains the EFI and the internet recovery base system image under com.apple.boot.recovery. I also added another VHD to the VM to actually install macOS onto. Big Sur had some issues with this approach, but Monterey works fine. Make sure you apply the ACPI patches for any SSDTs you use in the repo!

Edited by 1Revenger1
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Need to revisit this one

~1GB big. It contains the EFI and the internet recovery base system image under com.apple.boot.recovery.

What EFI did you use & which recovery base system image

Thanks

sebus

• Like 1

• 7 months later...