Titan/Natit crashes and burns with most 7950GT & 7900GT/GTO/GTX 512MB cards

Wallstreet

119 posts in this topic

Same problem here, I've a MSI 7900 GTO with 512 Mb, and btw I get a strange behavior with Titan/Natit drivers...

- If I install 10.4.8 (latest with kernel 8.8.1) but without NV40 Titan (unchecking it from list in the installer), then when I try to install Natit package the installer doesn't work, it opens and then closes instantly. So I can't test Natit, I can only install NV40 patch that comes with the DVD OS installer.

- If I install Titan NV40 I get a light blue screen and I can hear a small glitch sound, similar to the one that I get with a successful boot into MacOS, but no mouse pointer, nothing.

I hope it could be solved in a future Kernel or driver release, all the rest of my hardware works fine for me.

Greets.

EDIT:

1. I've started with a MacOSX fresh install, started SSH and VNC Server

2. Installed the new Natit_uni -> System boots into black screen "crashes and burns"

3. Added the key memsize with value 536870912 to the entriesToAdd section of Natit's Info.plist (just like fboffset) -> System boots, black screen, but *no* crashing.

4. Ping works, ssh works, vnc works -> System Information shows Geforce 7900 GTX, VRAM 512 MB RAM, and all IDs correctly.

Problem: Under "Displays:" there are just two empty "Display:" Sections.

5. In addition to 1024x768 now 800x600 is available in display settings.

Thinking about this, maybe is a problem with resolution tables. The system is detecting the hardware correctly so if you can't see anyting maybe is just because there is something wrong with the detected resolutions (or frequency) for that specific hardware.

I'm a completely noob in MacOSX related stuff so I don't know where those resolutions are.

I'm really hopeless with this issue, and it seems that there is no guru's solutions for it. :guitar:

Best regards.

If you have not seen it, there's an old post from np_ with some suggestions for those with some skills.

i just want to add note on 512MB ram cards

i don't think there will be some "special" reason to these cards don't work more that just other missing property

some one can try this below

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

IODeviceMemory *fVRAMMemory

IOMemoryMap *fFBBaseMap;

UInt32 totalVRam = 512 *1024 * 1024; //512MB VRAM , you can try also 256 *1024*1024, even force as 128MBRAM ie 128 * 1024 *1024; // this also can go as other Info.plist property setting

fFBBaseMap = pciNub->mapDeviceMemoryWithRegister( kIOPCIConfigBaseAddress1 ); //vram NVCards

fVRAMMemory = IODeviceMemory::withRange( fFBBaseMap->getPhysicalAddress(), totalVRam );

UInt64 Len = fVRAMMemory->getLength();

pciNub->setProperty("AAPL,vram-memory", &Len, sizeof(Len));

when IONDRVFramebuffer want to make vram range first look for this property "AAPL,vram-memory"

after it look for ""VRAM,memsize", if don't found these two keys its look direcly in PCIDevice mem

for NVDAResman possible key are "NVDA,memsize" ( at less in PPC version of it )

for ATI known property is "ATY,memsize"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

offcourse after mapping these range you need to retain (release ) mapped memory before damn NVDAResman load's

other think on GL , only working GL driver is GeforceFXGLDriver , rest just are ppc version and x86 parts empty stubs, mean cards under NV arch = 30 will not work

NV arch 40 and G50 are threated as NV30 in current GL driver implementation

i am sorry i do sell my 7900GTX 512 and rest my cards except my beloved 6800 GTO ( i just love that card )

but also i do plan to get 8800 GTX and this will be big {censored} to make it work with current apple drivers

about automatic way of getting EDID best way is i2c , apple do provide i2cinterface but problem with it is work "when he want" ....

experimenting with all this on top have pretty good chance for workaround on 512MB ram card's problem

other think , all these properties is very recommended to be set before any video drivers loaded

ie probescore 100 ( who is also video and accelerator ) or even prove score = 0, with pci match for vole vendor not any name matches

in service "probe" read pcidevice class code must be 30000 ( video card ) this will avoid problems with nfoce chipset where most vendor device = nvidia

simple check for that below

//////////////////////////////////////////

bool MyClass::IsVideo(IOService *provider)

{

bool isvideo = false;

UInt32 clcode = 0;

UInt32 vendor = 0;

IOPCIDevice *pci = OSDynamicCast(IOPCIDevice, provider);

pci->setIOEnable(true);

vendor = pci->configRead32(kIOPCIConfigVendorID);

clcode = pci->configRead32(kIOPCIConfigClassCode);

if((((clcode >> 16) & 0xffff) == 0x0300 ) && ((vendor & 0xffff) == 0x10de))

{

isvideo = true;

}

return isvideo;

}

IOService * MyClass::probe( IOService * provider, SInt32 *score )

{

IOService *ret = 0;

bool IsNvVideoCard = false;

IsNvVideoCard = IsVideo(provider);

if (!super::probe(provider, score))

return (0);

if(IsNvVideoCard)

{

ret = this;

}

return (ret);

}

hope it help in extending natit to work on most nvidia cars

np_

For what it's worth, I have a VisionTek X1600XT 512 Mb RAM and it works flawlessly (PCIe ATI card). In fact it's driving my Samsung 1080p 46" LCD - I built a Hackintosh HTPC :whistle:

It shows up in System Profiler prefectly with Natit_Uni and nothing else. It recognizes the card make/model, and memory size. I can post pics later this weekend (traveling for work now).

I can personally assure you it's not a 512 Mb issue, unless it is an Nvidia 512 Mb issue?

I also have 2 working 7900 GS cards (PNY) with Natit_Uni again. Brilliant! Cheap too...bought them at BestBuy for $149 on sale. Dual DVI (works...driving 2 19" LCD displays), full everything (e.g. res switch, mirror, span, qe, ci, etc.), but can't get system sleep to work :thumbsup_anim: Monitors sleep no problem, however.

Thought I would chime in....interesting thread.

I 've got the same prob.

nvidia geforce 7600gs 512mb agp.

-with the nv40 patch on the dvd (10.4.8 amd final)

It just reboots when loading the os

-with the geforce and nv... kexts edited the same thing happens (without the patch of the dvd ofcourse)

-with edited kexts and natit kext I get the black screen but it has not crashed i think...

This maybe a silly thing to ask, but who's got palette snooping in his mobo bios enabled? because i've read that might give blackscreens aswell.

It will probably have nothing to do with this, but who knows...

Hey someone needs to try the the new NvidiaEFI and see if it works on 512mb Nvidia cards

Linky: NvidiaEFI

Thanks for your link. i just tried it but failed all the same. System crashed when load loginwindow.

This is my screenshot:

i really hope anyone can resolve this problem.... i've not used OSX for 2 months... i don't like windows Vista...

post-68154-1170564979_thumb.jpg

post-68154-1170564994_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
For what it's worth, I have a VisionTek X1600XT 512 Mb RAM and it works flawlessly (PCIe ATI card). In fact it's driving my Samsung 1080p 46" LCD - I built a Hackintosh HTPC :)

It shows up in System Profiler prefectly with Natit_Uni and nothing else. It recognizes the card make/model, and memory size. I can post pics later this weekend (traveling for work now).

I can personally assure you it's not a 512 Mb issue, unless it is an Nvidia 512 Mb issue?

I also have 2 working 7900 GS cards (PNY) with Natit_Uni again. Brilliant! Cheap too...bought them at BestBuy for $149 on sale. Dual DVI (works...driving 2 19" LCD displays), full everything (e.g. res switch, mirror, span, qe, ci, etc.), but can't get system sleep to work ;) Monitors sleep no problem, however.

Thought I would chime in....interesting thread.

Did you try running your dual 19"s on DVI-A and DVI-D?

Sleep works on mine using DVI-A Only =) Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning on buying an NVIDIA 7900GS 256MB card for compatibility with OS X, but ended up getting a 7900GTX 512MB instead before checking the compatibility chart. I've tried the EFI, Titan, and Natit nvidia drivers with added device IDs and other mods to the code (with no success.)

There are a few users running 512MB cards, so the problem must be driver (not kernel) related. For now, I guess it's back to Ubuntu. =/

I was planning on buying an NVIDIA 7900GS 256MB card for compatibility with OS X, but ended up getting a 7900GTX 512MB instead before checking the compatibility chart. I've tried the EFI, Titan, and Natit nvidia drivers with added device IDs and other mods to the code (with no success.)

There are a few users running 512MB cards, so the problem must be driver (not kernel) related. For now, I guess it's back to Ubuntu. =/

goto macvidia.com and use the NVidaEFI.kext made for 512mb cards.

found in _np's toolbox.

After putting NVidiaEFI (1.0.2) in the extensions folder and repairing its permissions, I get the multilanguage crash screen on boot. It does, however, appear to be at a high resolution.

Should I remove the other NVidia kexts? (such as NVDAResman.kext) ?

Yeah. OS X starts to load (initial logo screen), glitches for a split second, turns black, then displays a grey square centered over the black screen with the "You need to restart your computer..." crash message. The driver must be somewhat working, as it appears to be at a higher resolution than usual (small crisp text.) Hopefully it's an easy bug to fix.

• 5 months later...