Titan/Natit crashes and burns with most 7950GT & 7900GT/GTO/GTX 512MB cards

Wallstreet

119 posts in this topic

For the record and for those who've wondered, I have a Quadro FX4500 (the common PC BIOS version, not the EFI/MacPro version), and it fails the same as all the others:

Panic on first install.

Black screen if I disable GeForce.kext.

I have added my device ID to all possibly relevant kexts (though I have no other NVIDIA components, so I'm not sure it would matter), tried mifki and semthex, tried Natit_1.0.pkg, as well as Natit_edited.kext and Natit_ATIauto.kext.

In all cases, it seems, the device is recognized but does not work.

Also, like others, it is recognized by name, but as having 256mb VRAM in System Profiler (in VESA mode).

(And this is on a Core 2/965p machine -- nothing lacking SSE2/3 or anything.)

JRK: thanks for the feedback on the Quadro. In my mind at least the EFI must be setting things up differently than the data we inject with Natit / Titan with regard to the cards memory / framebuffer etc.

I wish Omni was around to add his expertise in frambuffers....

re-installed newer titan.kext...

the same sympthoms... at loading system crashes and supposes me to reboot my 'Mac' comp..

any ideas, pals?

// ADDED AFTER MINUTES

I supposed that titan.kext's not compatible with my hardware, so I used a

Natit_edited.kext.zip ( 46.29k )

from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33007...

After I followed next instruction:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel Natit.kext && sudo chmod -R 755 Natit.kext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

and rebooted... Something strange happen - the screen became black, and resolution was 1024x768x85Hz... but system still were hanging...

I wanna ask: maybe installation of custom kexts requires not only adding titan/natit, but also other ones??

NB: In system profiler & at loading Darwin system determines only 256 Mb of GRAM - is it strange thing?

So I'm sitting here contemplating the fate of 512Mb nVidia cards. Just how does the VRAM on an Apple card get reported to a real mac? My gut feeling says somehow its through the EFI bios on the Apple card. Apple ship a 7300GT with 256Mb in Mac Pro's, and in my hackintosh I'm using a Leadtek 256Mb 7300GT until we get a fix so I can oneday use my 7900GTO paperwieght ;-) Bear with me while I think aloud and get around to the point of my musings...

As part of my prior experimentation I flashed a BIOS from a 256Mb 7900GTX card onto my 512Mb GTO in some desperate and possibly card terminating exercise. Interestingly the card still reported 512Mb which indicated something on the card (GPU? BIOS?) calculates VRAM from the addressable ram available. If it were programmed into the BIOS surely it would have showed 256Mb from the GTX BIOS image...

So does the same thing apply to an Apple card? If EFI somehow looked at addressable VRAM rather than a hard coded amount, would it see 512Mb and configure it accordingly - assuming a 512Mb 7300GT existed? Well it just so happens XFX and Sparkle produce a 512Mb 7300GT card... so what if somehow the Apple EFI bios could be flashed onto said card, the card then put into a Mac Pro - would the magic allow it to see that extra VRAM - and assuming it even worked could then an IOREG dump give clues to settings for NATIT to inject??.

Thoughts anyone, or is my desperation making me insane?! :-)

In an Apple Mac, EFI is in the computer, reads the ROM on the card and properly sets up whatever it finds there.

In PC, BIOS reads the ROM, does next to no setup but passes some values to the OS to use. Problem is, the OS is looking for processed values from EFI, not just raw data from BIOS.

Titan and Natit perform some of the functions of EFI and pass the proper values. But it seems that they need to do more to fully simulate what EFI does for video.

In an Apple Mac, EFI is in the computer, reads the ROM on the card and properly sets up whatever it finds there.

In PC, BIOS reads the ROM, does next to no setup but passes some values to the OS to use. Problem is, the OS is looking for processed values from EFI, not just raw data from BIOS.

Titan and Natit perform some of the functions of EFI and pass the proper values. But it seems that they need to do more to fully simulate what EFI does for video.

Rammjet, quality info as always.

Lol, well I guess if VRAM is configured somehow by address lines, cutting traces on the GTO in a vain attempt to neuter it to 256 might be a bit drastic. heheh

Lol, well I guess if VRAM is configured somehow by address lines, cutting traces on the GTO in a vain attempt to neuter it to 256 might be a bit drastic. heheh

I'm betting it is more than the amount of VRAM that is the issue. The GPU manages VRAM, not the OS, or at least should be. The exception is when there is shared VRAM using the computer's RAM.

There has to be something else going on with 512 MB cards that we don't yet understand.

Maybe we should put together a pot, everyone invests some dollars and the winner, the guy who finds out how to get natit working on 512mb cards, get's it all - just to give you guys some motivation to pull this off :blink:

I'd so love to dual boot OSX, but without QE, CI and OGL it's kinda useless.

Yep I've looked into it but my Mac OS programming skills seem to be lacking. C++ would not be a broblem, but np_'s sample code uses some functions that I don't know where to get. Anyways it seems that this task would suite better someone who knows what they are doing, for example the creator of Natit (dm_webd), Omni or np_. This idea is not new, so maybe they already have tested it and it did not work? But the Natit sources are public, so the opportunity is open for everyone.

Yep I've looked into it but my Mac OS programming skills seem to be lacking. C++ would not be a broblem, but np_'s sample code uses some functions that I don't know where to get. Anyways it seems that this task would suite better someone who knows what they are doing, for example the creator of Natit (dm_webd), Omni or np_. This idea is not new, so maybe they already have tested it and it did not work? But the Natit sources are public, so the opportunity is open for everyone.

thank you for your endeavor!

hope somebody can release a compatible version soon.....

After spending way too much time with this problem, I ended up picking up a Radeon X1900XTX and I returned the 7950GT. :/

OT: How is your X1900XTX working? Is it just as well supported as the best of the working nVidia cards? Sleep, possibly dual monitor? What about Xbench results, does it give the same kind of strangely low Xbench results as the nVidia cards?

OT: How is your X1900XTX working? Is it just as well supported as the best of the working nVidia cards? Sleep, possibly dual monitor? What about Xbench results, does it give the same kind of strangely low Xbench results as the nVidia cards?

The X1900XTX is working great. It's factory overclocked, so the performance is excellent. Video sleep works - system sleep does not. I've not tried dual monitor, but I see no reason it shouldn't work - I only use one monitor now. OS X System Profiler shows 256MB, however the OpenGL driver monitor recognizes the full 512MB. I'll trust it over the System Profiler. ;)

Without Natit, I got no mouse tearing or anything with QE/CI acceleration, just no resolution switching. With Natit, I get all of the above plus resolution switching and video sleep. Also, there's no more 20 second black screen lag between the loading screen and the OS X desktop loading. I can actually see the "Loading MacOS" progress bar now.

Take a look in my signature for my XBench score.

-ws

Edited by Wallstreet

My 7900GS/512M got the same instance.

System recognized my card as"7900GS total 256M VM",but CI/QE can not be loaded, resolution & refresh can not be changed too.

but,after i repired disk permission, it crashed before go in loginwindow.

I know 7950GT & 7900GT/GTO/GTX 512MB are not supported, but 7900"GS" 512M maybe works??

Edited by masa

My 7900GS/512M got the same instance.

System recognized my card as"7900GS total 256M VM",but CI/QE can not be loaded, resolution & refresh can not be changed too.

but,after i repired disk permission, it crashed before go in loginwindow.

I know 7950GT & 7900GT/GTO/GTX 512MB are not supported, but 7900"GS" 512M maybe works??

Did you try to use 10.4.8 kexts?

Or the 10.4.8 opengl frameworks?

First thank you for your reply.

I think i'm using 10.4.8 kexts (NVDANV10Hal.kext;NVDANV20Hal.kext;NVDANV30Hal.kext;NVDANV40Hal.kext;NVDAResman.

ext)

because i just installed with 10.4.8 &8.8.1's DVD).

but,what's the "10.4.8 opengl frameworks"?

you mean 7900GS/512M can works with titan?

Thanks.

Edited by masa

GeForce 7900 GTX, 512 MB, same problem here:

- Titan: Screen screen goes blue for a second and then black, system hangs.

- Natit: Screen goes black right away.

NVDANV40Hal is loaded prior to Titan/Natit. Is this normal/desired behaviour?

Guys what do you think: Are those problems related to the drivers or to Titan/Natit? Maybe Leopard will ship with newer driver versions, could that maybe fix our problem?