GTX1060 flickering after sleep on 10.12.4

monto

42 posts in this topic

After the announcement of Pascal support from Nvidia, I couldn't resist to upgrade, and bought a GTX1060. After a day of tweaking, finally managed to make it work properly.

However, there is something odd about the latest Webdriver, compared to the previous version which was working flawlessly with an old GTX 960 on 10.12.3.

Now, after the new update, I've noticed the following:

1. GUISensors.kext (latest version required, otherwise I got KP at boot) showing a dead fixed 54MHz in HWMonitor, where previously this value changed from time to time. The good thing though, is the temperature is now lower at around 35 degrees Celsius, compared to the old GTX960 running at faster frequency and typically around 50 degrees Celsius.

2. Now there is a new problem. After wake from sleep, the screen is flickering badly, and full screen video playback is almost not useable. It's especially visible during Safari scrolling.

Did anyone encounter the same problem, and have a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

I am having the exact same problem on resume. I previously had a GTX 960 and had no issues. After replacing it with the GTX 1060 I get flickering that makes the system unusable.

Haven't found any solutions yet, but am still looking.

Also, I am using the updated beta drivers for pascal with no difference.

Same here, SSDT patching doesn't change it. It also can happen if you use the computer for a while without sleep but I only tan into that once so far.

That's true. Seems to be completely random sometimes. But I'm quite sure it does not happen right after booting in to system, but some time later. Sometimes it happens right after opening Chrome or Opera... by the way, here is not only flickering but a complete system slowdown...

That's true. Seems to be completely random sometimes. But I'm quite sure it does not happen right after booting in to system, but some time later. Sometimes it happens right after opening Chrome or Opera... by the way, here is not only flickering but a complete system slowdown...

Same, but I have not confirmed if processes are actually slowed or if it is only the graphics buffer. One can test it by running a processor benchmark in that state. It indeed resolves if you log out and log back in.

You can try this:

In clover: Install Drivers: Drivers UEFI 64 bit:

Install EMUVariableUefi.

It is working for me!

Are you sure you are not confusing it with Nvidia drivers not loading after restart? I have this installed, as you have to with a lot of newer chipsets and nvidia cards

Of course you need late nvidia webdriver installed.

I also update my bios (But i think this is not the problem) and I Use KernelPm (it's for the bios)

Try to download new version of EmuVariableUefi. in clover configurator. I use 4061

That is not what I'm saying. You need EmuVariableUEFI so that Nvidia loads, for many motherboards No Emuvariableuefi = No Nvidia Web drivers.

What I am saying is that EmuvariableUEFI is not solving the sleep issue, it's solving the flicke r/ accelaration problems on shut down and restart issue, which is caused by nvidia drivers unloading.

Can you test by going to the top left apple > sleep, let it sleep (as in have your fans shut down and everything) and then wake it up and try working on it for a bit to see if you get the flickering.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the newest member of the nvidia sleep glitch club.  Has anyone noticed this issue with either allowing only the display to sleep, or simply turning the display off?  While I wold like my computer to sleep, at least allowing the display to sleep is better than nothing.  So far, I have allowed display to sleep, but never allow computer to sleep and I have not had a recurrence.  I have also tried shutting display off a few times, and still no problem.  Just wanted to make sure I'm not having temporary luck.  

I am still within my return period on my GTX 1060, debating if I should return it and get a 900 series.  But I see on tmac, that Nvidia ha started to work on the problem.  So, fingers crossed they can fix this soon!  

@Ghligh 
Sleeping display only and leaving the computer running, is not a solution. A computer runs a lot more electricity than the screen, and its parts wears out quicker if running 24/7. In your case, the computer never goes into sleep and hence doesn't trigger this problem.

Just upgraded to 10.12.5 + new Nvidia driver without any issue. Will test sleep and report back.

After the announcement of Pascal support from Nvidia, I couldn't resist to upgrade, and bought a GTX1060. After a day of tweaking, finally managed to make it work properly.

However, there is something odd about the latest Webdriver, compared to the previous version which was working flawlessly with an old GTX 960 on 10.12.3.

Now, after the new update, I've noticed the following:

1. GUISensors.kext (latest version required, otherwise I got KP at boot) showing a dead fixed 54MHz in HWMonitor, where previously this value changed from time to time. The good thing though, is the temperature is now lower at around 35 degrees Celsius, compared to the old GTX960 running at faster frequency and typically around 50 degrees Celsius.

2. Now there is a new problem. After wake from sleep, the screen is flickering badly, and full screen video playback is almost not useable. It's especially visible during Safari scrolling.

Did anyone encounter the same problem, and have a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

GPUSensor for Pascal isn't working properly and if you get passed the Kernel Panic, GPU core frequency is showing a solid 54MHz, so the sensors isn't working as it supposed to do, at least not yet`1

About the flickering screen I'm not sure, I have a 1070 and it works completely normal after sleep. Although I'm not putting my computer to sleep at all but for the sake of argument I tested the sleep while I was testing a patched DSDT for resolving the "Sound after sleep" issue and it didn't happen to me.

I have iGPU disabled in BIOS and I don't inject any nVidia or Intel setting in my config.plist

So many users have glitches with Safari and Chrome and it is resolved after disabling the iGPU settings in BIOS.

Check if iGPU is enabled or if it is set to Auto in BIOS, if that's so disable it and see if it's work.

Just tested what cyberdevs suggested. Unfortunately, disabling iGPU in BIOS (from auto), and remove injection of nVidia & Intel in config.plist didn't fix the problem. There was no perceivable change.

just noticed, this also happens when the "pc" is idling (meaning no sleep mode, just sitting on the desktop without screensaver) for around 10 minutes. just went to make me a coffee and after that the cursor is stuttering and arranging windows around takes forever...  logging out and in again fixes this... is this really a nvidia driver related issue which they have to fix? or maybe something else?

• Like 1

Has anyone here updated to10.12.5 and tried the new driver 378.05.05.15f01, to see if it helps?  I am hesitant to update to 10.12.5, because everything is working fine on my hack right now.  But if this driver or OS update corrects the sleep glitch, it would be worth it.

just noticed, this also happens when the "pc" is idling (meaning no sleep mode, just sitting on the desktop without screensaver) for around 10 minutes. just went to make me a coffee and after that the cursor is stuttering and arranging windows around takes forever...  logging out and in again fixes this... is this really a nvidia driver related issue which they have to fix? or maybe something else?

I think this is a seperate issue, which I am encountering too.

Idling, or screen sleep (not PC sleep) causes the PC to stutter sometimes (not every time) upon turning the screen back on by pressing a key. Usually after 30 seconds or so, the problem resolves by itself. 

There is no flickering at all after screen sleep and back on.

Has anyone here updated to10.12.5 and tried the new driver 378.05.05.15f01, to see if it helps?  I am hesitant to update to 10.12.5, because everything is working fine on my hack right now.  But if this driver or OS update corrects the sleep glitch, it would be worth it.

There is no harm updating from 10.12.4 to 10.12.5. There is no perceived benefit either though...