CoreDisplayFixup -- fixing problems for 4k or greater resolution on certain non-Iris/Nvidia graphics

PMheart

24 posts in this topic

Hi.

After various tests and now it's time to make it a public release!

This thread can be used as a "general discussion" for CoreDisplayFixup on this forum.

CoreDisplayFixup is an open source kernel extension written as a Lilu plugin, it dynamically patches certain frameworks to make non-Iris Intel integrated graphics work under Normal OS, Installer OS, and Recovery OS.

Also, CoreDisplayFixup has also supported patching certain kexts for Nvidia graphics as of version 1.2.0.

It should be noted that CoreDisplayFixup requires Lilu.kext with version 1.2.0 to be put in the same folder as CoreDisplayFixup.kext. See this topic for more details.

Everything including source code, pre-compiled binaries is available on GitHub:

https://github.com/PMheart/CoreDisplayFixup

• Like 11

Is this needed for hd4400?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hmm, if you need to patch IOKit (for 10.10 and 10.11) or CoreDisplay (for 10.12) to enable 4k or grater resolution output, you may need it. For otherwise, for example, your screen is 1920x1080 (i.e. less than 3840x2160), then not required.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im saying that intel hd from mini 2014 its capable to output 4k to a 4k tv with your kext? That would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if I remember correctly, Macmini late 2014 uses HD4400/4600 (can't remember the exact one), which supports 4K I guess. So with this kext it will be fine, I hope.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi

I have followed your instructions and installed both Lilu.kext and CoreDisplayFixup.kext and in case "LiluFriend.kext" in L/E or S/L/E and even in Clover kexts folder, and used SwitchResX and added various resolutions "screenshot" yet unable to activate 4K on my High Sierra OS. It uses an Intel HD 4600 connected via DP to Mini DP to a Samsung 4K "U28E850R" which works fine 4K in Windows 10. I wonder if doing something wrong or if I could attach my Clover config file and you could have look? Any advice would be appreciated.

post-2117306-0-30701300-1517296385_thumb.png

post-2117306-0-27117000-1517296397_thumb.png

Hi

I have followed your instructions and installed both Lilu.kext and CoreDisplayFixup.kext and in case "LiluFriend.kext" in L/E or S/L/E and even in Clover kexts folder, and used SwitchResX and added various resolutions "screenshot" yet unable to activate 4K on my High Sierra OS. It uses an Intel HD 4600 connected via DP to Mini DP to a Samsung 4K "U28E850R" which works fine 4K in Windows 10. I wonder if doing something wrong or if I could attach my Clover config file and you could have look? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

I don't know if CoreDisplayFixup can help with this. (From your report I'm afraid not.) Anyway, if you can boot without CoreDisplayFixup, then you don't even need it at all. (I actually don't know what my kext does exactly either, the patch is from https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-v2 as I wrote on GitHub...)

Hi,

I don't know if CoreDisplayFixup can help with this. (From your report I'm afraid not.) Anyway, if you can boot without CoreDisplayFixup, then you don't even need it at all. (I actually don't know what my kext does exactly either, the patch is from https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-v2 as I wrote on GitHub...)

Hi,

Surely I can boot without CoreDisplayFixup or any major issues. However, not in 4K and I thought by adding CoreDisplayFixup.kext compiled with Lilu.kext I should be able to enable 4K on my graphic card. Having said that, your kext dose actually enabled/added 2560x1920 on my system and I have assumed there must be something missing then in here to enable 4K? Screenshot is the result after removing your kext and system is booted with Lilu.kext only, compared to my previous screenshot pasted above you could see 2560x1920 is "Not Activated" therefore there is something is your code enabling 2560x1920!!

post-2117306-0-31546200-1517352295_thumb.png

Hi,

Surely I can boot without CoreDisplayFixup or any major issues. However, not in 4K and I thought by adding CoreDisplayFixup.kext compiled with Lilu.kext I should be able to enable 4K on my graphic card. Having said that, your kext dose actually enabled/added 2560x1920 on my system and I have assumed there must be something missing then in here to enable 4K? Screenshot is the result after removing your kext and system is booted with Lilu.kext only, compared to my previous screenshot pasted above you could see 2560x1920 is "Not Activated" therefore there is something is your code enabling 2560x1920!!

This is kind of interesting. To be honest, I don't have such device to test, CoreDisplayFixup was initially written for a friend of mine who can never boot properly without the patch applied to CoreDisplay.framework. It should have nothing to do with resolutions. (Nonetheless I'm not really sure, I haven't checked the binary yet, maybe I'd never check though...)

Well, now that you said that it did do something on your resolution stuffs and you still could not enable 4K, should that relate to HiDPI instead? You can search Google for those details.

• Like 1

This is kind of interesting. To be honest, I don't have such device to test, CoreDisplayFixup was initially written for a friend of mine who can never boot properly without the patch applied to CoreDisplay.framework. It should have nothing to do with resolutions. (Nonetheless I'm not really sure, I haven't checked the binary yet, maybe I'd never check though...)

Well, now that you said that it did do something on your resolution stuffs and you still could not enable 4K, should that relate to HiDPI instead? You can search Google for those details.

I'll. In the meanwhile I'll try to check the binary too. Please do let me know if any ideas.

Many Thanks. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've been experiencing iTunes crashing a lot when both CoreDisplayFixup and the correct ig-platform-id are used. If a fake ig-platform-id is used, this does not occur. the symptoms are the same when Floris497's mac-pixel-clock-patch-v2 (CoreDisplay patcher as I have an intel hd 515) is substituted for CoreDisplayFixup. Does anyone have any leads on why this might be?

Edited by dli417

16 hours ago, dli417 said:

Hi,

I've been experiencing iTunes crashing a lot when both CoreDisplayFixup and the correct ig-platform-id are used. If a fake ig-platform-id is used, this does not occur. the symptoms are the same when Floris497's mac-pixel-clock-patch-v2 (CoreDisplay patcher as I have an intel hd 515) is substituted for CoreDisplayFixup. Does anyone have any leads on why this might be?

Hello,

Actually CoreDisplayFixup was initially written for a friend of mine, and I myself do not even have any related device to test, so I am not sure what is exactly problematic. Yet I have heard something about iTunes crashing, and I guess Shiki might be the solution, check it out here: https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/blob/master/Shiki/kern_start.cpp#L51, you may also need some other patches there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply PMheart,

I am currently using iTunes as I type and its not crashing :). I took your advice and am using the latest CoreDisplayFixup, Lilu and Shiki kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. Im running macOS 10.13.4.

Lets hope iTunes stays crash free!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...