Converting old OS X from MBP to Virtual Instance

1 post in this topic

If you're a long time user and you've seen everything, please skip introduction and go to the Red part.

Introduction

I have decided to write my process of virtualisation of an already configured OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5) with apps and user data.

Basically, I am creating a full copy of the system that would normally work as it works on Macbook Pro, but without network features.

Why?

The goal is to preserve outdated applications and working environment as it is now for future reference. Having an easy-to-handle virtual disk that could be booted ten years from now on a potential Intel 8-core (or quadruple that) system is what I have in mind. (Or maybe even now on a much stronger system, but it is NOT intended for web-browsing, iMessage and everyday tasks)

I still haven't figured out everything, but I am getting there. (That's why I need some help).

VMware looks as the best option. Having a vmdisk with turned off persistence that's laying on a few external HDDs is the way to go.

I have done something similar to this:

http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspot.hr/2013/03/convert-physical-mac-into-vm-guest.html

(in short: booting Mac OSX in VMware, cloning previously created sparse image to new vmdisk using Carbon Copy Cloner., and then booting that disk)

The model of Macbook Pro that is getting his virtual life: Mid-2012 13-inch

After trial and error of few host/guest combinations, I got what I was looking for with Workstation Pro 12.5 on Windows with a Mountain Lion (10.8.2) image.

Since I couldn't configure an USB 3.0 connection or VMware built-in sharing I used a workaround.

(Both seem unsupported unless you're using Fusion, or another guest such as any Windows.)

My workaround was sharing between Win 8.1 (Host) and Mac 10.8.2 (Guest) via Ethernet cable connected to a modem/router. The trick is to pick bridged option (or direct) in the virtual machine network settings, to avoid systems sharing the same IP address. Everything else is the same - creating a windows account with the same username and password as on Mac, then sharing the file to that user.

It's funny how data goes out and comes back through the same cable but I got the speeds four times of a 2.0 connection.

After the transfer I have shut down the machine, swapped the disks (virtually - from Disk2 to Disk0). Started it up - and it worked!

I was surprised to see how well VMware handled the transfer. Mountain Lion (10.8.5) was running smoothly with everything in its place with half the power of how it usually runs (less RAM and CPU).

Red part

So what is the problem?

There are few tells that the created virtual system isn't completely real to the original system. For example, few options were set to default, such as touchpad configuration, and launchpad looked the same as in 10.8.2. I suspect it might be the fact that I was running 10.8.2 first, or for the fact that CCC doesn't create a full copy with bootloader and recovery partition when creating a sparse image.

What's even bigger problem is - authorization of half of the apps (serial key resets). Half of them work fine, half of them ask for my login info or serial number, while many of them are already very outdated and unsupported. If that happens in 10 years from now when I boot the image, I might as well forget about doing this.

What I'm planning to do next: using real data from my MBP to spoof the system and ultimately all the apps. (I know this is frowned upon, but I am using it offline).

One way is implementing data into vmx file, is there anything else to keep the virtual OS thinking he is inside my exact device (Mid-2012 13-inch)?

I will be redoing a virtual disk image, then copying files for the spoof before the first boot inside VMware.

Potential options:

• Creating a physical copy of Mac HDD with Filezilla to an external HDD and then booting it directly in VMware (not a fan of this option)
  • Running Filezilla inside VMware, cloning Mac HDD to a new vmdisk, then changing options to Mac OS and booting it
  • Doing this on a Linux host instead of Windows
  • ditching VMware, and going for VirtualBox
  • exploring a more direct option of converting physical drive into a vmdisk (with vSphere?)
  • Using Migration Assistant or Time Machine
  • Using VMware Fusion (bad experience)

What do you think, is this even possible?