lately upgraded to 10.12.4 from 10.9. Spotlight is now used in Mail and a lot of applications as a search engine, too. In 10.9.4 I simply disabled spotlight and used Quicksilver, it was a great time.
Now it turns out the spotlight still seems to be a resource hog. I already disabled lot of search types and locations in the spotlight settings, rebuilt index etc.
1. It uses huge amounts of processes of "mdworker", even if the amount of indexing should be heavily reduced by the settings. Have a look below.
2. If it indexes, it always uses huge amounts of cpu.
3. It wildly accesses the ssd, so I guess it causes hard drives to failure much more early than usual (had that 3 times using normal hdds, before I started to disable it)
4. Even if I disable "com.apple.mdworker.bundles", I can see in the activity monitor that it still uses all those spotlight plugins in /System/Library/Spotlight/...
5. Sometimes it causes other processes to go wild. For example opendirectoryd.
So my question are:
- How can I reduce the amount of mdworker
- Is it maybe possible, that I can only enable mds, but disable all those extra services, so I get search in the apps and nothing more?
- Should I disable some daemons/agents related to it?
Thanks for ideas!
Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-06 um 18.38.13.PNG 69.72KB 2 downloads