Stuck at IOConsoleUsers

Enigm4

4 posts in this topic

Hi.

I've done quite a stupid thing.

When I was updating to 12.4, after the system was rebooting, it was taking a long time to load.

I was stuck at 3/4th of the loading bar. Since it was quite late, I decided to force turn it off.

Now when I try to load, I get stuck at "IOConsoleUsers".

I have already tried switching to Intel GPU, disabling serial ports and booting in safe mode.

Is there any way I can get the system up and running without reinstalling it?

That was indeed a very bad idea. Once the update has fully downloaded, its installation is done in 2 stages: a pre-reboot phase and a post reboot phase which can last anything between say 5-10 to 15-20mins. If you interrupted this 2nd phase, you probably messed things up and will most likely have to re-install OS X.

The somehow good news is that you can simply reinstall over your previous installation (without reformatting) and you will not lose any data.

I have also Windows installed on the same drive. Would it be left untouched?

Also, should I reinstall by loading from the USB drive with the installer or by loading from the Recovery partition?

They both have "Install macOS Sierra" option.

The only way, I see at the moment is:

1) Disconnect the HDD from your hackintosh, then connect it to another hackintosh (or real Mac) as an external HDD.

1.1) If you have another running OS X system present on your hackintosh, then boot from the other OS X system…

2.) then navigate to the folder „Library/Update/„ (on the hard disk where the update problem happened!!)

... here you will find some subfolders with various pkg packages, from last App Store updates (10.12.4 ?)

3.) Open and Install each pkg-files using MacOS standard install program or by using Pacifist.app ==> install all on your HDD, on which you have got the update problems… 

4.) after installation, open the disk Utility and repair the permissions 

5.) connect the HDD on your hackintosh and start your system again

Thanks to Hervé!

In the end I was able to reinstall the system without losing my files, but only to 10.12.3.

For some reason, I can't even start-up the installation of 10.12.4 on a freshly made USB or update through the App Store or the combo update.

I always get stuck at "IOConsoleUsers".