Asus P8H61-M LX R2.0 - macOS Sierra 10.12.4 - 100% Working

Elad Nava

7 posts in this topic

Hi fellow mainboard users,
I'd like to share my success story of installing macOS Sierra (10.12.4) on this incredibly cheap but powerful motherboard.

First, install El Capitan on a blank disk. I wrote an extremely detailed guide (applicable to noobs as well) for installing El Capitan on Hackintosh, check it out!

http://eladnava.com/install-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-on-hackintosh-vanilla/

Then, update to macOS Sierra by following this guide:

Finally, update to Sierra 10.12.4 via the App Store updates. Make sure to re-run audio_cloverALC-120.command after updating to 10.12.4, otherwise, you'll get randomly-occurring kernel panics.

Audio

Getting the on-board ALC 887 (0x10ec0887) to work is tricky, but I was able to do it by trying lots of kexts and scripts, until I found a combination of 2 that worked:

1. HDAEnabler1.kext - by toleda (https://github.com/toleda/audio_kext_enabler)

2. audio_cloverALC-120.command - by toleda (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC)

The HDAEnabler1.kext can be copied safely to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12/. The audio_cloverALC-120.command needs to be run (after mounting the EFI partition via diskutil) and the correct Audio_ID for our ALC 887 is 1. Note that you will need to go into the System Preferences -> Sound -> Output and select the hardware device for this to work!

Both files are attached.

Networking

The on-board RTL 8169 ethernet controller works great after installing the attached Ethernet-RTGNICv2.0.6For10.7.mpkg.

Graphics

Depends on your card. In my case, the GTX 650 worked out of the box (without graphics injection or what-not) with QE/CI support.

AsusP8H61-M-LX-R2.0-Sierra.zip

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Like you I have the same mobo. Running core i5, this is a solid mobo for hackintosh.

A few years ago I ran into a bios mod for the motherboard and tried it. Flashed the bios and surprisingly the board runs native power management on any Mac OS. I let clover do the dsdt patching since then.

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

I have almost the same motherboard, Asus P8H61-MX. I can't seem to even get to the Clover Bootloader menu? When I try to boot with the USB it gets stuck at a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. Can you tell me your BIOS settings?

My specs are:

Asus P8H61-MX

Intel Core i5 3350P 3.10  Ghz quadcore (Ivy Bridge)

Geforce GTX 660 2GB

8GB Kingston HyperX ram

250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

I have tried several setups with different bootloaders (Uni'beast, i Boot disk, Clover bootloader, followed different guides on reddit and this forum) but nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong?

Regards Qustom

• 2 months later...

I have almost the same motherboard, Asus P8H61-M LE.

My specs are:

Asus P8H61-M LE

Intel Core i3 2120 3.30Ghz 

Geforce GTX 1050ti  4GB

16GB ram

250GB SSD Sandisk

I can do the first part of the installation and when restarting I can´t boot to finish the install...

The clover Efi Shows 4 options for me choose one of then and no one boot now.

What boot args did You use to install the High Sierra on cloverEfi config.plist?

tks...