4 replies to this topic

STstuff

STstuff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there,

I'm trying to run Mac OSX on a Intel Atom x5 z8300, problem is Aptio 2.17 BIOS doesn't read Mac OS X USB boot drives. I'm trying to find a solution to install OS X on my laptop through USB. This BIOS has absolutely no options for booting EFI and AHCI nor can I find a compatible BIOS update from American Megatrends. I was thinking maybe a newer update would have more options so I would be able to boot a OSX image USB. Anyways is there any work arounds for this? Or is it not worth my time?

nawcom

nawcom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Mind {censored}. Telephony.

What bootloader are you installing to your OS X install media? Clover? Chameleon? What you install determines whether you'll be wanting to boot your install media in BIOS or UEFI mode. You also need to configure your bootloader and install the correct kexts. Since you don't mention any of this then my guess if you're trying to boot unmodified OS X install media on a PC, which does not work that way (with exceptions like Ozmosis). That's why nothing is booting.

Also I want to bring up the z8300's graphics is Cherry Trail which isn't supported in OS X. So only install OS X on this if you're fine with choppy low resolution graphics.

STstuff

STstuff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I tried clover bootloader with some of the basic kexts which were recomended on a walkthrough. Also tried two different iATKOS. 

Also I didn't know the graphics would be a problem :/ I tried booting my usb on my AMD PC which the menu area loaded properly so its not my USB

nawcom

nawcom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Mind {censored}. Telephony.
Computers with Intel Atom SoCs in them which Intel started making in 2012 aren't recommended since there's no graphics support with those. Apple never used Intel SoCs so they didn't need to make drivers for it. This is why you can't find much help installing OS X on them.

The CPU isn't supported either but you can patch the kernel for that. I don't think it's really worth your time though as you'll end up with a disappointing result. Sorry :(

STstuff

STstuff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Okay, cool thanks for your input. I did see a kernel for 10.9 but if I can't even get to boot there's no reason to continue. Maybe in another five years I'll find a computer with specific parts for Mac OS :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy