How I resolved my Sierra boot problems (Kextd, ACPI)

Rowas

4 posts in this topic

I'm just making a quick note here for anyone else who has this issue when trying to boot into Sierra's installation or system. I notice this is a fairly common problem, so this is how I was able to fix it. Just for reference this is how the problem usually goes for people trying to boot into Sierra or Sierra install:

Everything will load fine in Verbose, until you're near the end. 'Launchd' will exit with 'code: 1' and then you end up with AppleACPICPU hanging. If you wait long enough, you might see the loading bar and beachball, but nothing will load.

My goal is always to use a Vanilla method by following the below steps. This ensures that I end up with a bare system, only adding extra kexts as necessary. 

Requirements

“Install OSX” App

Bootloader Installer. Can be anything

Any necessary Kexts to boot the installer

A working OSX system

1.) Open “OS XInstall ESD” located inside Contents/SharedSupport inside Install OS X App

2.) Format USB Drive to use HFS+ and GUID Partition Table for maximum compatibility

3.) Mount BaseSystem.dmg using the terminal command:

open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

4.) Restore OS X Base System to the newly formatted USB Drive using Disk Utility

5.) Navigate to the USB Drive —> System/Installation and delete the “Packages” alias

6.) Copy the “Packages” folder from “OS X Install ESD” to where the Packages Alias was

7.) Copy BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg from Install ESD Root folder (Hidden files) to USB Root folder

8.) Rename USB Drive

9.) Install Bootloader and load the kexts to boot Installation

10.) Navigate to USB Drive —> System/Library/Extensions and delete

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext

11.) Done. Reboot into installation.

After trying to adjust various settings in clover, I had to bite the bullet and look elsewhere to see if a pre-packaged USB installer creator would get me into the Sierra installation. I found one that worked and started there.

After getting into Sierra, I installed Clover onto my fresh system and diagnosed why I was having issues by comparing the USB's Clover to my un-configured Sierra Clover. What I found was that these Kexts allowed me to boot into the system just fine:

- FakeSMC

- NullCPUPowerManagement

Install these into 'Other' in Clover's kexts directory and you should be good to go. 

Additionally, I added the 10.12 ATI Exotic kexts for my HD4850 (Works perfectly fine).

For anyone having these similar problems, let me know if this works for you. For your convenience, I've attached them here.

Kexts.zip

• Like 1