Mods, is this allowed or forbidden ?

9 posts in this topic

I did read the rules and something isn't clear to me. I want to be a good member and stay within the rules, so mods please give me your opinion(s). Also, please don't ban me for asking like on ANOTHER site *cough* because I am happy to abide by the consensus here.

Is it forbidden, or against some unwritten rule here to ask for the installer for a certain version of OS X, also if someone asks for one is it okay or not to share one ?

I tend to think since they are free on the App store that it's not the same as say pirating software that's obviously not free. I ask because I don't have access to a certain version of OS X I want to try and it's not on the store any longer, nor do I know anyone that has it.

Thanks for your input on this matter

Well I'm no mod, but I'd say that discussion of torrent links shouldn't be had, but if you do manage to acquire a copy (a legitimate copy, from MAS, or whether it be from other sites) you can discuss that. Discussion of distros is sort of a grey area; sometimes they are allowed, sometimes they're not since they're technically piracy; and iAtkos has been banned since you have to pay for that pirated copy.

mas 10.12.3 and bit torrent 10.12.3 are the 1:1 same thing except Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/_MASReceipt because bit torrent 10.12.3 also come from mas by another apple user.If you have Apple ID receipt in Install macOS Sierra.app.and you have Apple brand hardware,Apple can not arrest you.

mas 10.12.3 and bit torrent 10.12.3 are the 1:1 same thing except Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/_MASReceipt because bit torrent 10.12.3 also come from mas by another apple user.If you have Apple ID receipt in Install macOS Sierra.app.and you have Apple brand hardware,Apple can not arrest you.

Except that all supposedly legitimate MAS installers have digests that when searched point to suspect looking chinese domains. Plus there MD5 and sha-1 which is reasonably easy to mess with (from what I read). I read it's not that hard to produce specific MD5 digests now. While I am no expert, that and the fact that the ONLY installers are found on weird chinese sites makes me apprehensive cuthead. That and APT25.

I mean it's not so seemingly hard to produce two files with collision (2 same digests on purpose, or "hashes" as people call them.)

Except that all supposedly legitimate MAS installers have digests that when searched point to suspect looking chinese domains. Plus there MD5 and sha-1 which is reasonably easy to mess with (from what I read). I read it's not that hard to produce specific MD5 digests now. While I am no expert, that and the fact that the ONLY installers are found on weird chinese sites makes me apprehensive cuthead. That and APT25.

I mean it's not so seemingly hard to produce two files with collision (2 same digests on purpose, or "hashes" as people call them.)

it is easy to collision small digest,but it is hard to collision big digest.for example,you can only use 10.12.3 magnet to download 10.12.3,but not 10.7.5.MD5 and SHA-1 are deprecated and dead,collision MD5 and SHA-1 means nothing,and it is still hard to collision MD5 and SHA-1 because you need 1B computer to do it.

By the way,I do not use digest to compare file,I use binary to compare file.I use md5sum just for fun.

it is easy to collision small digest,but it is hard to collision big digest.for example,you can only use 10.12.3 magnet to download 10.12.3,but not 10.7.5.MD5 and SHA-1 are deprecated and dead,collision MD5 and SHA-1 means nothing,and it is still hard to collision MD5 and SHA-1 because you need 1B computer to do it.

By the way,I do not use digest to compare file,I use binary to compare file.I use md5sum just for fun.

But then I'd need 2 binaries of the installer and then no need to torrent it ! :D

I did read the rules and something isn't clear to me. I want to be a good member and stay within the rules, so mods please give me your opinion(s). Also, please don't ban me for asking like on ANOTHER site *cough* because I am happy to abide by the consensus here.

Is it forbidden, or against some unwritten rule here to ask for the installer for a certain version of OS X, also if someone asks for one is it okay or not to share one ?

I tend to think since they are free on the App store that it's not the same as say pirating software that's obviously not free. I ask because I don't have access to a certain version of OS X I want to try and it's not on the store any longer, nor do I know anyone that has it.

Thanks for your input on this matter

Hi  :)

No posting of direct or indirect links to warez or pirated pieces of software, this includes cracks, serials and torrents.

Discussion of P2P, torrent sites, or similar download sites of any kind will not be tolerated. We do not want to know your illegal downloading habits.

Even though the latest versions of osx are free, We do only allow posting direct links of OS X versions from Apple servers - All other direct (or indirect) links are prohibited.

Now, from my point of view, if I need the installer of an old version of OS X, I just ask... google.  :rofl:

Best regards

• Like 1