[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E5440 macOS Sierra

AppleHackDan

12 posts in this topic

macOS Sierra 10.12.3 on a Dell Latitude E5440

A full installation guide. Now 50% Easier

nnyHoqn.png

I needed a real hackintosh that was on the latest version of Mac, had UEFI, and had QE/CI. So this was my only option.

Thank you:

Rehabman,Mickey1979,Herve,The mods at OSXLatitude, that's all I can think of right now

What is NOT working right now

Card Reader

Video Out might not be working, I cannot check currently

What is working

Wifi

Audio

ALPS touchpad and PS/2 Keyboard

QE/CI with an Intel HD 4400

DVD/RW drive

All USB ports (including USB 3 ports)

Sleep works OOBE

Note: If you have the one with a Nvidia card, disable it in the BIOS or use the nv_disable=1 flag in clover

PRE-INSTALLATION (BIOS + MBR ONLY)

Requirements :

A USB Flash Drive with at least 8 GB of storage usable that you don't mind formatting

An environment that runs macOS/OS X. I used a previous laptop with OS X Mavericks on it to make my image. A VirtualBox VM will also work well.

Install macOS Sierra.app in /Applications

1. Make sure your flash drive is formatted into the HFS+ file format. I personally used Disk Utillity. Name the partition Installer.

2.Download Pandora's Box

3. Download the MBR Patch

4.Click on Create Installer

5.Find 'Installer' under Select a Volume

6.Click on the [...], and find the installer.app. It should be located in the Applications folder.

7. Under MBR patch, make sure to select parent folder that CONTAINS the MBR patch

8. Click Install

9. Once it's done installing, don't remove the flash drive from your computer, we have a few things to do.

------------------------

1.Download the latest version of the Clover Bootloader.

2.Make sure to install Clover to the USB drive. Pandora's Box has renamed your USB drive to Pandora Installer

4. Click Customize, and make sure that UEFI only is checked off.

5. Make sure Install Clover in the ESP is checked, Driver64 is Checked, and Boot0ss is checked. You don't need any themes right now.

6. Install Clover

7.While you have your EFI partition mounted, extract the EFI.zip onto the root of your flash drive. It may ask to replace the contents in EFI, click YES. This will install the kexts, config.plist, and dsdt that you'll need to be able to boot to the installer.

8.Reboot your device and plug in your flash drive into the Latitude. When your computer boots, mash your F12 button. Make sure not to break it. When it pops up do NOT go to the UEFI boot option. Under legacy boot, hit enter on USB

9.If all goes well, you should be on the Sierra install screen. I did not know if the PS2 kext would work when being in the clover kexts. So I decided not to put them.  Which means your trackpad isn't working right now. Use a USB mouse and keyboard for now.

Note: If you cannot see Disk Utility, go to the Language Chooser, and hold Alt+T. Then type /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk\ Utility. You will need to select the drives with your keyboard

10.Open Disk Utility, and partition your drive with at least two partitions. One should be a 300 MB Fat32 partition, and the other should your Mac Installation.

PRE-INSTALLATION (UEFI + GPT Only)

Requirements :

A USB Flash Drive with at least 8 GB of storage usable that you don't mind formatting

An environment that runs macOS/OS X. I used a previous laptop with OS X Mavericks on it to make my image. A VirtualBox VM will also work well.

Install macOS Sierra.app in /Applications

1. Make sure your flash drive is formatted into the HFS+ file format. I personally used Disk Utillity. Name the partition Installer.

2.Download Pandora's Box

3.Click on Create Installer

4.Find 'Installer' under Select a Volume

5.Click on the [...], and find the installer.app. It should be located in the Applications folder.

6. Click Install

7. Once it's done installing, don't remove the flash drive from your computer, we have a few things to do.

------------------------

1.Download the latest version of the Clover Bootloader.

2.Make sure to install Clover to the USB drive. Pandora's Box has renamed your USB drive to Pandora Installer

4. Click Customize, and make sure that UEFI only is checked.

5. Make sure Install Clover in the ESP is checked, and Driver64UEFI is selected. You don't need any themes right now.

6. Install Clover

7.While you have your EFI partition mounted, extract the EFIUEFI.zip onto the root of your flash drive. It may ask to replace the contents in EFI, click YES. This will install the kexts, config.plist, and dsdt that you'll need to be able to boot to the installer.

8.Reboot your device and plug in your flash drive into the Latitude. When your computer boots, mash your F12 button. Under UEFI boot, press enter when you highlight your flash drive. If it doesn't boot clover, then go down to troubleshooting.

9.If all goes well, you should be on the Sierra install screen. I did not know if the PS2 kext would work when being in the clover kexts. So I decided not to put them.  Which means your trackpad isn't working right now. Use a USB mouse and keyboard for now.

Note: If you cannot see Disk Utility, go to the Language Chooser, and hold Alt+T. Then type /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk\ Utility. You will need to select the drives with your keyboard

10.Open Disk Utility, and partition your drive with at least two partitions. One should be a 300 MB Fat32 partition, and the other should your Mac Installation.

POST INSTALLATION

1. Open up the Kexts folder

2.Open up Kext wizard. Go to the installation tab.

3.Drag the contents of the kexts folder into the box. It should be auto-selected to /System/Library/Extensions.

4. Click install. It may ask for credentials

5. Go back to the main page and highlight /System/Library/Extensions. Make sure it says repair permissions and rebuild cache. Then click install

6. Restart your laptop. This will be the last time you will need to boot from your USB.

7. Install clover onto the Fat32 partition that you made before. Same settings as before, but instead of putting it as boot0ss, put it as boot0af. Use the same EFI.zip that you used before to put on the Fat32 clover partition.

Sorry if this guide is a little over the place, this is my first guides, and ratings in the comments are much appreciated!

EDIT: Updated downloads and made some steps easier (mainly the post-installation ones)

EDIT 2: Cleaned up a lot of the steps. Made them more pleasant to read. I might add images next.

EFI.ZIP <-------Download

EFIUEFI.ZIP<--Download

KEXT.ZIP <-----Download

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the problem with Card Reader? On my E6430 there is O2Mikro that supported by Apple's driver after the patch

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arbitrary</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>SDXC reader</string>
				<key>CustomProperties</key>
				<array>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>device_type</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<string>Media controller</string>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>model</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<string>O2 Micro SD card reader</string>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Disabled</key>
						<false/>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>name</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<string>Apple SDXC card reader</string>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>compatible</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<string>pci14e4,16bc</string>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>subsystem-vendor-id</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<data>
						axAAAA==
						</data>
					</dict>
				</array>
				<key>PciAddr</key>
				<string>0B:00:00</string>
			</dict>
		</array>

Just check your PciAddr

• 2 weeks later...

I won't make a tutorial on High Sierra yet until a dot update happens because from what I've seen, the differences between Sierra and High Sierra are not big enough for me to suffer through the alleged degraded performance and security holes.

• 4 months later...

First, great guide & super easy to follow thanks!

That said I cant get into the installer. I've followed steps perfectly found everything but Im stuck here as I found out with verbos:

clover_verbos.thumb.jpg.f8d6aea0c615055f1064b877abdf6c7e.jpg(see attached)

Any ideas? I think it's bombing out on the ACPIBatteryManger am I right? 

I followed along right up until this bit:

• In Kernel & Kext Patches: you got it all wrong by trying to patch AppleALC kext instead of AppleHDA kext. Not that it would work anyway since I've not seen the dummy ALC292 kext anywhere. You want wan to switch to AppleALC method rather than patching AppleHDA kext. In that case, you must install AppleALC kext (preferably in /L/E) and modify your DSDT to inject layout #12 rather than layout #1 as it stands right now.

I can see that patches you want me to remove but what should I add? 

Edited by morleyrigged204

• 5 years later...
On 11/23/2017 at 1:09 PM, Slice said:

What is the problem with Card Reader? On my E6430 there is O2Mikro that supported by Apple's driver after the patch

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arbitrary</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>SDXC reader</string>
				<key>CustomProperties</key>
				<array>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>device_type</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<string>Media controller</string>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>model</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<string>O2 Micro SD card reader</string>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Disabled</key>
						<false/>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>name</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<string>Apple SDXC card reader</string>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>compatible</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<string>pci14e4,16bc</string>
					</dict>
					<dict>
						<key>Key</key>
						<string>subsystem-vendor-id</string>
						<key>Value</key>
						<data>
						axAAAA==
						</data>
					</dict>
				</array>
				<key>PciAddr</key>
				<string>0B:00:00</string>
			</dict>
		</array>

Just check your PciAddr

Hi,

how do you convert subsystem-vendor-id?

I used to know how to do it but forgot,

thanks if you can post a link to a tutorial on this.

Cheers

Nabil H.

<key>Key</key> <string>subsystem-vendor-id</string> <key>Value</key> <data> axAAAA== </data>

Edited by bgrau