[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E5440 Sierra 10.12.3 (and probably some other E5400 series laptops)

- - - - - Dell Latitude Dell Latitude E5440 E5400

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

AppleHackDan

AppleHackDan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

macOS Sierra 10.12.3 on a Dell Latitude E5440

A full installation guide. Now 50% Easier

nnyHoqn.png

Skiping the explanation, if you have any questions, put it in the comments.

Thank you:

Rehabman,Mickey1799,Herve,The mods at OSXLatitude, that's all I can think of right now

What is NOT working right now

Wifi and Bluetooth (Good luck with that. You will probably have better success replacing the AR9485 card in this then waiting or writing a driver)

Card Reader

Audio (currently, still working on it. If I see an improvement there, I'll edit)

Video Out might not be working, I cannot check currently

What is working

ALPS touchpad and PS/2 Keyboard

QE/CI with an Intel HD 4400

DVD/RW drive

All USB ports (including USB 3 ports)

Sleep works OOBE

Note: If you have the one with a Nvidia card, disable it in the BIOS or use the nv_disable=1 flag in clover

PRE-INSTALLATION

Requirements :

A USB Flash Drive with at least 8 GB of storage usable that you don't mind formatting

A Computer with macOS previously installed. Whether it be an Apple computer or a previously made hackintosh.

Make sure you have an environment that runs macOS/OS X. I used a previous laptop with OS X Mavericks on it to make my image. A VirtualBox VM will also work well.

Also make sure you have the latest version of macOS install downloaded either from the App Store or a reliable source. As long as the folder is in the applications folder, it's good.

1. Make sure your flash drive is formatted into the HFS+ file format. If you don't know how to do it, a quick google search can help you, or look at my tutorial of it (LINK PLACEHOLDER)

2.Download Pandora's box (http://www.insanelym...os-x-installer/)

3. Download an MBR Patch (if you need it, you can look it up on google)

4.Click on Create Installer

5.Find your volume under Select a Volume

6.Click on the [...], and find the installer.app. It should be located in the Applications folder.

7.Do NOT click on createinstallationmedia, as we need to edit S/L/E later

[7.1 If you decided to use an MBR patch, make sure to select parent folder that CONTAINS the MBR patch.]

8. Click Install

9. Once it's done installing, don't remove the flash drive from your computer, we have a few things to do.

------------------------

1.Go to your flash drive. Locate /System/Library/Extensions. Find AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext Delete it. This will allow you to boot the installer with no graphics issues.

2.Download the latest version of the Clover Bootloader.(I will not provide any support for people using the Enoch boot loader, as I believe Clover is far more superior than chameleon and any variants of it. Also because I haven't tested it with it.)

3.When you are installing the package, make sure the install location is on the flash drive.

4. Click Customize, and make sure that UEFI only is checked off if you don't have UEFI enabled on your laptop.

5. Make sure Install Clover in the ESP is checked, Driver64 is Checked, and Boot0ss is checked. You don't need any themes right now.

6. Install Clover

7.While you have your EFI partition mounted, extract the EFI.zip onto the root of your flash drive. It may ask to replace the contents in EFI, click YES.

This will install the kexts, config.plist, and dsdt that you'll need to be able to boot to the installer.

Note : The DSDT is for the i5 version, although I have had no issue running the dsdt on an i3 version of this laptop, if you do have the i3 version, proceed at your own risk. I'm not responsible for your TV blowing up because your cat decided to throw up on your coffee table.

7.Reboot your device and plug in your flash drive into the Latitude. When your computer boots, mash your F12 button. Make sure not to break it. When it pops up do NOT go to the UEFI boot option. Under legacy boot, hit enter on USB

8.If all goes well, you should be on the Sierra install screen. If I didn't tell you before, your trackpad isn't working right now. Use a USB mouse for now.

Note: If you cannot see Disk Utility, go to the Language Chooser, and hold Alt+T. Then type /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk\ Utility. You will need to select the drives with your keyboard

9.Open Disk Utility, and partition your drive how you want it. Just make sure you have at least a 100 mb hfs+ partition with it. Then you can install it onto the partition.

POST INSTALLATION

1. Open up the Kexts folder

2.Open up Kext wizard. Go to the installation tab.

3.Drag the contents of the kexts folder into the box. Make sure it's selected to S/L/E

4. Click install. It may ask for credentials

5. Go back to the main page and highlight S/L/E. Make sure it says repair permissions and rebuild cache. Then click install

6. Restart your laptop. This will be the last time you will need to boot from your USB.

7. Install clover onto the 100mb partition that you made before. Same settings as before, but instead of putting it as boot0ss, put it as boot0af. Use the same EFI.zip that you used before to put on the 100mb clover partition. Reboot without the USB stick, and see if it works. If it works, then you now have a functional Sierra Latitude E5440!

Sorry if this guide is a little over the place, this is my first guides, and ratings in the comments are much appreciated!

If you really want wifi there are 3 options:

1: Wait for a kext (you'll probably wait your whole life)

2 (The best and feasible option for most people): Buy a wifi adapter like this. They are cheap, and can plug into the back of the laptop to be forgotten about. Sometimes they are even better than the chip/card inside the laptop itself.

3 (For tech savvy people): Replace the card with a different card, preferably an already DW branded card. If you can't get ahold of one, maybe try a 9285 and report back with success or fail.

EDIT: Updated downloads and made some steps easier (mainly the post-installation ones)

EFI.ZIP <---Download

KEXT.ZIP <-Download

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

I don't see the relevance of deleting AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext. It's for 1st gen Intel HD iGPU (8086:0042 / 8086:0046) not for Haswell iGPU... If there was a framebuffer to delete for this Haswell platform, that'd be AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext but there's no need for that...

​This being said, all mobile Intel HD4200/4400/4600 are supported by:
​1) faking id of Desktop HD4600 0x0412
2) injecting Azul frambebuffer #12/layout id 0x0a260006

You've mixed graphics adjustments in your DSDT and Clover config.plist:

• You inject the Azul FB/layout-id both in your patched DSDT and in Clover config.plist.
  • You inject Desktop HD4600 id 0412 in Clover.
  • You set DualLink to 1 in DSDT (set to 0 for built-in LCD resolution < 1600x900, set to 1 for LCD resolution of 1600x900 or higher).

Ideally, you should do all this either in the DSDT or in Clover config.plist, not in the cumbersome way you've done it. You've kept a whole raft of Azul framebuffer patches in Clover Config.plist but, thank God, they're all disabled. I'd remove those until you know exactly what you need...

I also note that in that Clover Kernel and Kext Patches section, you've opted for AsusAICPUPM and KernelLapic patches. You don't need those: the former is for Sandy/Ivy Bridge platforms, the latter is (mostly) for HP laptops that suffer lapic-related KP. Your Haswell laptop should only require the AppleRTC + KernelPm patches.

Finally, in Clover ACPI section, you've set:

• cpus=1
  • npci=0x3000
  • debug=0x100
  • kext-dev-mode=1

I don't think you need any of those, especially the cpus=1 which will kind of kill the performance of your laptop. You want all core enabled and you'll obtain full CPU SpeedStep/power management once you've generated your CPU specific SSDT with Pike R Alpha SSDT generator script. It's not visible in your EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder, I therefore assume you've not done this.

Regarding PS2 controller, those Dell laptops are usually fitted with an ALPS TouchPad. As such, rather than use a Synaptics driver in which you remove PlugIn kexts, I'd recommend you use a dedicated ALPS driver such as Dr Hurt's latest versions published at OSXLatitude. Release 4 should work perfectly (that's what I use on my E6440).

You've installed the GenericUSBXHCI kext. You should not need this at all as the USB3 controller is normally detected and supported OOB as long as you inject the correct Darwin settings in your DSDT (and you do!). You've also installed Rehabman's FakePCIID kexts, including the USB XHCI Mux. All should therefore work well natively. If you need more info, you can have a look here.

You inject most of your kexts from EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 (you could empty Other to avoid all possible confusion), yet you mention installation of other kexts such as the Ethernet driver in SLE. I'd actually recommend you install all add-on kexts to /L/E rather than /S/L/E in order to keep /S/L/E full vanilla and more easily identify your add-on kexts (/L/E is for 3rd party kexts after all...). I would also recommend that, once you're happy with your injected kexts, you actually move them to /L/E, repair permissions and rebuild your cache. System will boot a tad quicker that way and your Hackintosh will be a lot cleaner than it is right now.

​Regarding video output, VGA is not normally supported but some HD4400-fitted laptops have that working natively (presumably wired to some DVI port). HDMI output and HDMI-audio will require Azul framebuffer kext patching. You can read about this here and in the E6440 guide I linked just above.

I presume audio is also based on ALC292, so you can run on patched AppleHDA using the dummy ALC292 available in the various packs of the E6440 guide linked above + patched AppleHDA. For Sierra, AppleHDA mut be patched as follows:

Find: 8419D411
Replace: 9202EC10

Find: 8408EC10
Replace: 00000000

Find: 8508EC10
Replace: 00000000

AppleHackDan

AppleHackDan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Thank you for the detailed post. I will update the main one with this added info. Also, I forgot to add credit for the people that made the config and the dsdt. I can edit it though probably

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dell, Latitude, Dell Latitude, E5440, E5400

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy