Kx audio driver mod [Sound blaster live!, audigy 1/2/4/RX emu edsp]

ITzTravelInTime

588 posts in this topic

For the first time I updated my main system to High Sierra. Using the original kx audio drivers, the system rebooted right after the speaker pop (the drivers were just installed).

Can these drivers fix this issue?

I'm using a Sb Live! in my hackintosh systems without issues from Mountain Lion. (I've always used the original .dmg version).

Thanks in advance for the reply!

I dont't know if you will still have the issue, but give it a try , it's also made to support better newer versions of mac and is tested on the latest versions of the os , the focus of this modded driver is to continue to support it and improve it, for example it improves sound and makes sound distortions more rare, try  to install ut anche che if it works, you should also check if you have issues with clover and the kext load and if you are using it in the /System/Library/Extensions or /Library/Extensions folder, you have to use kext-dev-mode=1 in clover

• Like 1

I dont't know if you will still have the issue, but give it a try , it's also made to support better newer versions of mac and is tested on the latest versions of the os , the focus of this modded driver is to continue to support it and improve it, for example it improves sound and makes sound distortions more rare, try  to install ut anche che if it works, you should also check if you have issues with clover and the kext load and if you are using it in the /System/Library/Extensions or /Library/Extensions folder, you have to use kext-dev-mode=1 in clover

Ok, I've tried it and it works, but unfortunately it blocks the integrated realtek I also use (the realtek now uses appleALC together with lilu.kext).

On Sierra, I used the original .dmg installation file for Sb live! and the toleda realtekALC for the integrated one.

Is it possible that the .dmg won't works together with the appleALC?

Ok, I've tried it and it works, but unfortunately it blocks the integrated realtek I also use (the realtek now uses appleALC together with lilu.kext).

On Sierra, I used the original .dmg installation file for Sb live! and the toleda realtekALC for the integrated one.

Is it possible that the .dmg won't works together with the appleALC?

Strange, in my testing machine si have no problems using it together with lilu and apple alc, maybe it's a problem of your boot loader configuration

Strange, in my testing machine si have no problems using it together with lilu and apple alc, maybe it's a problem of your boot loader configuration

Can I post the EFI here?

EDIT: ok, solved. I've done a clear High Sierra installation, then used first your kx audio together with applealc-lilu and both works now...thanks!

Is there any mixer or configuration app I can use with your kext?

ITzTravelInTime. Thank you very much again.

Thank you your answer and give us this good driver.

So I think for the PCI/PCIe sound card only some creative sound card working under the hackintosh. The other brand sound card didn't work under Mac, Because I was find out the Asus and some third brand sound card use the  C-Media sound chip.  There is no luck for the C-Media sound chips. 

Do you think Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 zs is better than the onboard HD sound card? Such as the ALC 892 chip?  

Usually the Audigy should be much better than any onbourd sound. I ran a SB Live!, Audigy 2 ZS and Audigy 4 Pro. All of them were better by far than any onboard sound I ever tried.

• Like 2

I just want to say thank you for your hard work on this driver.  I was pleasantly shocked how well it works.  I was expecting to need to make an SSDT to have the PCI SB350 card properly functioning in macOS.  Instead I popped the card in and rebooted with the kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.  Pow, it worked!  Thank you again.

• Like 1

I just want to say thank you for your hard work on this driver.  I was pleasantly shocked how well it works.  I was expecting to need to make an SSDT to have the PCI SB350 card properly functioning in macOS.  Instead I popped the card in and rebooted with the kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.  Pow, it worked!  Thank you again.

thank for appreciating it, but it's just a mod of a great old kext, i have modified it to make it work better and have a better support to more recente mac os versions, and also i have an sb0350 too, and i used it to test the driver, and also i have tested with many other cards

And today as a part of an ebay purchase i have also received another sb0220, now i have 2 of them

• Like 1

ITzTravelInTime,

Thanks heaps for your efforts in improving this driver  :)

I used to run the Kx driver version on older OSX (and it worked somewhat good) but now, when i install your fork on H.Sierra (using my E-mu 0404 pci which identifies itself as "kX EMU E-0404 10k2 (d000)" i can't get any sound from it. System information gives me this:

kX EMU E-0404 10k2 [d000]:

Default Output Device: Yes

Default System Output Device: Yes

Manufacturer: Mod. by Pietro Caruso (ITzTravelInTime), created by Eugene Gavrilov, kX Project

Output Channels: 8

Current SampleRate: 48000

Transport: PCI

Output Source: Default

And it appears in the sound section of the system preferences (output only, but thats fine of course), but it doesn't emit any sound.

• Like 1

ITzTravelInTime,

Thanks heaps for your efforts in improving this driver  :)

I used to run the Kx driver version on older OSX (and it worked somewhat good) but now, when i install your fork on H.Sierra (using my E-mu 0404 pci which identifies itself as "kX EMU E-0404 10k2 (d000)" i can't get any sound from it. System information gives me this:

kX EMU E-0404 10k2 [d000]:

Default Output Device: Yes

Default System Output Device: Yes

Manufacturer: Mod. by Pietro Caruso (ITzTravelInTime), created by Eugene Gavrilov, kX Project

Output Channels: 8

Current SampleRate: 48000

Transport: PCI

Output Source: Default

And it appears in the sound section of the system preferences (output only, but thats fine of course), but it doesn't emit any sound.

maybe you have to reconfigure the outputs in the midi configuration app to output to the rigth channels, you have to assign the left and rigth speackers to the corect chennels, and meybe it will work, the problem should also be with the different chennels mappings used by this driver

maybe you have to reconfigure the outputs in the midi configuration app to output to the rigth channels, you have to assign the left and rigth speackers to the corect chennels, and meybe it will work, the problem should also be with the different chennels mappings used by this driver

I tried it (every possible combination), but can't manage to get any sound output. It says that it doesn't have any output controls despite the card being listed

Screen_Shot_2018_02_18_at_16_11_17.png

(sorry for my engl)

OS X HiS >= 13.2 has issue with kx driver (both old kext and new kext)

When system start reboot with Kernel Panic

1) Turn on comp

2) I try boot without kext - booted

3a) I try load kext in system - KP - go to 1

3b) I try kill coreaudio (sudo killall coreaudiod) 

4) I try load kext in system - viola! Card working!

• Like 1

(sorry for my engl)

OS X HiS >= 13.2 has issue with kx driver (both old kext and new kext)

When system start reboot with Kernel Panic

1) Turn on comp

2) I try boot without kext - booted

3a) I try load kext in system - KP - go to 1

3b) I try kill coreaudio (sudo killall coreaudiod) 

4) I try load kext in system - viola! Card working!

Does it work after sleep - wake up?

• 4 weeks later...

is it possible to change default sample rate from 48.000? Pro tools says:

"Could not create a new document because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value.."

This parameter is locked in audio/midi setup.

2 minutes ago, RomichA said:

is it possible to change default sample rate from 48.000? Pro tools says:

"Could not create a new document because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value.."

This parameter is locked in audio/midi setup.

it's not possible, because the driver is made only for that sample rate, this is a limitation of the original mac kx driver, because multiple sample rates means that i have to redo all the math to let the driver to work, and i do not have time and driver knowlage to do that now.

• Like 1

Just now, ITzTravelInTime said:

it's not possible, because the driver is made only for that sample rate, this is a limitation of the original mac kx driver, because multiple sample rates means that i have to redo all the math to let the driver to work, and i do not have time and driver knowlage to do that now.

Thank you for so quick reply! :)

But, may be the solution of this problem will be to create a new spctrl file with different sample rate? or it is not so easy?

I ask it because the logic pro works perfectly on different sample rates on your driver!)

1 minute ago, RomichA said:

Thank you for so quick reply! :)

But, may be the solution of this problem will be to create a new spctrl file with different sample rate? or it is not so easy?

I ask it because the logic pro works perfectly on different sample rates on your driver!)

that's complex at least for me because i am kind of a beginner driver programmer, my speciality is to do front end software in swift , i have created this mod of the kx audio driver just to let it work better with the audigy rx and also to make it more compatible with the latest mac os versions, but redoing the sample rate stuff it's very complicated, and i am not so expert in driver programming rigth now to do that, but maybe the driver can work at 44,1 khz, but i do not know how to do that now, i am sorry, but that's what i can do now

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @ITzTravelInTime, 

I just wanted to say thank you here. My onboard AC97 suddenly produces random noice on both Windows and macOS. I pulled an old Sound Blaster Live Value CT4830, installed 1.11b0 and rebooted... Ooops macOS failed to boot into desktop, it restarts during boot process. A Google search directed me to this post, putting the .kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and booted, wow it really works!

I tried also SB0060, works too. However, VLC prompts me to setup speaker in "Audio MIDI setup", I guess this is normal? I still got the cracking sound (or laggy?) on very few occasion though.

Lastly, can I suggest to you adding the updated .kext to OP? Otherwise if someone is not reading through page 6 he is going to miss it.

2 hours ago, semson said:

Hi @ITzTravelInTime, 

I just wanted to say thank you here. My onboard AC97 suddenly produces random noice on both Windows and macOS. I pulled an old Sound Blaster Live Value CT4830, installed 1.11b0 and rebooted... Ooops macOS failed to boot into desktop, it restarts during boot process. A Google search directed me to this post, putting the .kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and booted, wow it really works!

I tried also SB0060, works too. However, VLC prompts me to setup speaker in "Audio MIDI setup", I guess this is normal? I still got the cracking sound (or laggy?) on very few occasion though.

Lastly, can I suggest to you adding the updated .kext to OP? Otherwise if someone is not reading through page 6 he is going to miss it.

yes i know, i should do it, for the craking it's normal to have it occasionally it's drivers fault and i don't know hot to fix it permanently, but i managed to make it to happen more rarely, for vlc just put the kext into 2.1 or 2.0 mode in the audio midi setup

On 3/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, ITzTravelInTime said:

that's complex at least for me because i am kind of a beginner driver programmer, my speciality is to do front end software in swift , i have created this mod of the kx audio driver just to let it work better with the audigy rx and also to make it more compatible with the latest mac os versions, but redoing the sample rate stuff it's very complicated, and i am not so expert in driver programming rigth now to do that, but maybe the driver can work at 44,1 khz, but i do not know how to do that now, i am sorry, but that's what i can do now

I found the solution of this problem with fix 48.000Hz!

5ac51c6996c06_ScreenShot2018-04-04at21_39_10.thumb.png.bdd8c80d77c75fe87a9b8c223da6c1b6.png

You can create aggregate Device and as a 1st primary device select your build in device. In this case you can change the sample rate. And the second device in this line should be card e-mu. In this case the sample rate of it will change automatically as in primary device. For me it's work even in pro tools! 

ITzTravelInTimeThank you very much for you work!!!5ac51b8fb3246_ScreenShot2018-04-04at21_33_26.thumb.png.4998c6868e22536f80bf1d1cd5064d59.png

Edited by RomichA

3 minutes ago, RomichA said:

I found the solution of this problem with fix 48.000Hz!

5ac51c6996c06_ScreenShot2018-04-04at21_39_10.thumb.png.bdd8c80d77c75fe87a9b8c223da6c1b6.png

You can create aggregate Device and as a 1st primary device select your build in device. In this case you can change the sample rate. And the second device in this line should be card e-mu. In this case the sample rate of it will change automatically as in primary device. For me it's work even in pro tools! 

ITzTravelInTimeThank you very much for you work!!!5ac51b8fb3246_ScreenShot2018-04-04at21_33_26.thumb.png.4998c6868e22536f80bf1d1cd5064d59.png

this is not a solution, the driver is still locked at 48 khz, and still works at 48 khz, because it has been designed to work only at this frequency, and in this way the audio quality will also be worse, because the system have to convert 44,1 khz to 48 khz so there is a quality loss and more latency this will only make to work some applications which didn't like the 48 khz

22 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

this is not a solution, the driver is still locked at 48 khz, and still works at 48 khz, because it has been designed to work only at this frequency, and in this way the audio quality will also be worse, because the system have to convert 44,1 khz to 48 khz so there is a quality loss and more latency this will only make to work some applications which didn't like the 48 khz

But in this case Pro tools can open session with different sample rate without problem and any latency :) for me it's good! Hope this will be helpful for someone else 

While I am very thankful for kX audio and its mod, I decided to purchase a MAYA44 eX (ESI) internal interface. It needs a driver but works just fine w/ sampling rates up to 96kHz. It's a bit pricey for "casual users", but since I do a lot of audio stuff it's a decision I do not regret. With its two separate LineOut-Channels, I can hook up the speakers to 1/2 and my headphones for editing to 3/4. The Maya control panel also is very useful.

2 hours ago, marvelloard said:

While I am very thankful for kX audio and its mod, I decided to purchase a MAYA44 eX (ESI) internal interface. It needs a driver but works just fine w/ sampling rates up to 96kHz. It's a bit pricey for "casual users", but since I do a lot of audio stuff it's a decision I do not regret. With its two separate LineOut-Channels, I can hook up the speakers to 1/2 and my headphones for editing to 3/4. The Maya control panel also is very useful.

yes i know that sound card, i have a quite similar card in my system, i have a maya44 xte and both are some the best pcie sound cards for mac compatibility, but the problem with sound blster is that i don't know how to add input and multifrequency support, i have a limited knowlage of iokit and how those sound blaster works, i created this mod to let you to use the sound blasters in the latest versions of macOS, so if someone wants to join me to let multifrequency and inputs to work on the soundblasters, is welcome.

https://github.com/kxproject/kx-audio-driverTo update

On 2018/4/11 at 10:45 PM, ITzTravelInTime said:

yes i know that sound card, i have a quite similar card in my system, i have a maya44 xte and both are some the best pcie sound cards for mac compatibility, but the problem with sound blster is that i don't know how to add input and multifrequency support, i have a limited knowlage of iokit and how those sound blaster works, i created this mod to let you to use the sound blasters in the latest versions of macOS, so if someone wants to join me to let multifrequency and inputs to work on the soundblasters, is welcome.

https://github.com/kxproject/kx-audio-driverTo update

• Like 1