Reintroduce Intel Atom support?

naquaada

2 posts in this topic

The first netbooks running with 10.5 and 10.6 used the Intel Atom processor, I think the support was skipped in 10.7 or 10.8.

However, the Intel Atom still exists, but of course now it is a few generations newer. You find it in various devices, from tablets up to Mini-PCs like this one. The most of these devices have 2 GB of RAM, that's not much, but I worked for years with 4 GB. Here's a comparison between the very common Core 2 Duo E8400 and the Atom Z3735F. It may not the powerfulst processor, but well.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Tablet with 13,3" screen. I don't like it very much, I prefer Android 4 than 5, then there's the block to write on SD-cards and various Android apps are not working on the Atom. Although its issues, I prefer my old Voyo A15 tablet. Lenovo is a well known company, so perhaps it would be an idea to fix OSx86 for their tablets. It wouldn't be possible to run powerful software, but you can't do this on any tablet. But it may be more interesting to run real software, not just some apps.

I'm not writing this because I want to have a new use for my tablet. But the Intel Atom is not dead, and even if Apple doesn't, why should we not add support for it again? There are also a lot of low-power Mini-ITX boards with a soldered Atom which doesn't need a fan, this would be a nice system for a HTPC or a OS X server.

What do you think?

• Like 1

The problem is not only the cpu, the main problem is the integrated gpu... unsupported...

would be nice to have an osx stick pc, but sadly graphic accelleration will not work!