Create macOS Sierra USB installer in Virtual Box VM without error copying files

joaquinp

1 post in this topic

Hi, this is my first post in this forum and maybe my first or second post in a forum also :thumbsup_anim: , I decided to wite this post after looking in the web and doing lot of research without any good result to it, and i was so enthusiastic about building my hackintosh laptop that i finally found the way to my problem.

I dont have access to real macbook or mac, so following one of the hundred post of internet about running osx in virtualbox I got my first osx run, i inmediatly downloaded sierra app [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], clover conf and all necessary tools, and started my long way to the obtention of a bootable usb.

Every method i tested([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], vanilla, clover, etc) failed copying files to the usb, despite I had installed extension packs and all necessary stuff to get usb working on the vm (also I tested doing it in ubuntu vbox) failed in copyng installer files, base system or any other step, in fact the usb unmounted after 20-30 min, so finally I ended up testing to create a "virtual usb" and fantastically it done all the steps without problems, so then i managed to get that virtual usb data to a physical usb here are the steps:

First of all you need vbox running osx and all the necessary stuff to build the usb with your prefered method, then you need to install qemu-img for your host OS (i tested perfectly in windows and ubuntu) and finally you will need to install optionally win32diskimagger, a tool to write any img files to usb in windows (qemu support writing directly to usb device but the absence of progress bar stressed me :lol:, in case you use ubuntu no porblem write directly).

We start creating the new virtual drive to our mac vm:

1. Go to vm settings

post-1625952-0-24258400-1489599520_thumb.png

2. Enter to storage tab and create the drive as the following images:

post-1625952-0-12581500-1489599522_thumb.png

3. Select disk type (I always tested with vmdk cause i knew it was supported by qemu-img). 

post-1625952-0-51272100-1489599523_thumb.png

4. Choose fixed size.

post-1625952-0-02400300-1489599525_thumb.png

5. Press next and select folder, name and size, I recommend to select 8,5GB as size, the default folder is vm folder

post-1625952-0-71715500-1489599758_thumb.png

6. Afther that your vm has a new virtual device that behave exactly as a physical device plugged in, so next steps are on your own doing the usb bootable with your prefered method but selecting the virtual drive as target. The information will be stored in vmdk file in host system drive.

7. After successfully complete the previous steps, you should have two partitions in the virtual device (usually EFI and System installation partition), so now you can exit and power off the vm.

8. In ubuntu open a terminal in the folder where the vmdk is stored(default is virtual machine folder), in widows I recommend to move vmdk to the folder where reside the quemu-img.exe files, then type cmd in the path bar.

post-1625952-0-40349800-1489599531_thumb.png

9. In the terminal type the command to convert the vmdk to img in windows, in ubuntu ask the quemu-img to write directly to the usb device, so you need to insert the real usb pendrive to write.

post-1625952-0-37969400-1489599526_thumb.png

Windows command: qemu-img.exe convert usb.vmdk -O raw disk.img

Ubuntu command: qemu-img convert test.qcow2 -O raw /dev/sdbX (type "sudo df" command to get /dev path of the usb, is different to the /media path)

In both OS the process takes some minutes, when it finishes the terminal will be ready to type new command.

In case you did it with ubuntu method your UBS is READY TO BOOT!!

10. In windows open Win32DiskImagger, select img file, target drie(usb letter), and pres WRITE!

post-1625952-0-18436100-1489599533_thumb.png

Congrats! You are done!, now you have a bootable usb of OSX, now you are ready to fight with kernel panics, :beachball: of death, missing kext and all that stuff that need to be done before reaching your runnin hackintosh :lolno::crazy:.

Thanks for reading I hope it was useful for you, this is my first important contributon to a forum.

PD: sorry my bad english.

PD2: any question suggestion or corrections are welcome.

PD3: if you have problem finding the required stuff just let me know, i attached qemu for 64bit , win32diskimagger is easily downloadable via sourceforge.

PD4: the original idea was to publish this via TM but they banned because talking about VM´s, anyway I think is big problem unsolved before this publication hope you like guys.

qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0.zip

• Like 2